Huss & Dalton Fingerstyle (FS)

Started by ffinke, June 27, 2010, 12:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was at Elderly's yesterday to see the Breedlove Tour Bus and some nice Breedlove guitars but, of course, had to play some of the other instruments.

For me, the parlor size was way too small but the OM-09 still has an uncommon power and tone. But two 'alternate brands' struck me as really toneful instruments: a Breedlove American c20/sr (incredible bass: E,A,D) and the Huss and Dalton FS (fingerstyle) guitar. The H&D fit like a glove, beautiful balanced tone and the fit and finish of H&D and it must have had the light build because it had the "light ga. strings only" sticker on the inside.

Has anyone else played this guitar? If you haven't you should make a point of it.

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

I've played the H+D on though a nice guitar I was turned off by the fact that I was limited on the guage of strings.To me the lights were just to spongee feeling.Haven't had a chance to check out the Breedlove as there don't seem to be any dealers in Tally.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I used to think that light ga meant weak tone but after acquiring Larry's H&D 00-sp I can honestly say that, even with light ga. strings, it is keeps up with dreads. I did a little charity gig a month or so ago with 2 friends. One played a medium strung L-09 and the other played a light ga strung Takamine. THE 00-SP KEPT UP WITH BOTH OF THEM! And they were using flat-picks and I, only thumb pick and finger nails. To me that is what I'm looking for: something that shouts but you don't have to beat on it to get the sound out.

Only an opinion but at least it's mine.

f

Quote from: unclrob on June 27, 2010, 02:17:48 PM
I've played the H+D on though a nice guitar I was turned off by the fact that I was limited on the guage of strings.To me the lights were just to spongee feeling.Haven't had a chance to check out the Breedlove as there don't seem to be any dealers in Tally.
H&D make lovely guitars, and it is legitimate to build them light to make them super responsive. Classical guitarist in recent decades have sought the same so that they can project more into the performance hall. They don't care that the gits won't hold up as long, as they are built and bought for that purpose.

I like, Unclrob, don't like them that light. I like that my Larrivee's stand a great chance of being playable in 150 years!
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

What are we talking here? When I got my 00-sp I asked H&D if I could use .012-.054s (Mangan Med-Lts) on it and they said yes. There are manufacturers who classify this as Light Gauge but Mangan Lts are .011-.052s. Even at that they still work for me. I even use the Med-Lts on my L-03 and easily keep up with a friend of mine on his Med strung -09.

The true meaning of "whatever floats your boat".

f

It has nothing to do with the guitar.It had great tone and volumn.My problem was that 12-54 just don't feel right to my fingers,they feel too soft.Thats why its not the guitar for me,or for that matter the client who returned the guitar.Hey I don't like brazillian rosewood you want get crap from people you let know that.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: ffinke on June 30, 2010, 11:27:05 AM
I used to think that light ga meant weak tone but after acquiring Larry's H&D 00-sp I can honestly say that, even with light ga. strings, it is keeps up with dreads. I did a little charity gig a month or so ago with 2 friends. One played a medium strung L-09 and the other played a light ga strung Takamine. THE 00-SP KEPT UP WITH BOTH OF THEM! And they were using flat-picks and I, only thumb pick and finger nails. To me that is what I'm looking for: something that shouts but you don't have to beat on it to get the sound out.

Only an opinion but at least it's mine.

f
Yup.   Sounds like a real keeper to me.  I like 12-54's myself. I guess I'm gettin wimpy in old age. But I don't play with banjos. :humour:

I don't notice much volume difference between medium and light strings. But the tone gets meatier and the tension a bit firmer, and there is less 'string sound'. There ARE days when I am happier playing short-scale gits and consider using lights. But to each his/her own. Somebody said, "Choice is good."  :arrow
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

I got a H&D catalogue inside the shipping box when I bought my SD-50 4 years ago, and I have to say I've been gassing over a couple of H&D models, although have yet to see one here in Africa.
I particularly fancy the FS, OO-SP and 000-SP finger style models.
Magictwanger wrote me a very favourable report on the TD-M model as well which according to him is in the Martin D-18GE class.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

String gauges are all over the place, Martin Marquise call 12-52 light gauge, but, DR calls 13-56 med. heavy. Some call 11-50 medium, and others call them light go figure. I play my Larrivees almost daily and the dread gets Sunbeam 13-56 with the 13 & 17 replaced by a 14 & 18 kind of a reverse bluegrass set. I absolutely love the balance it brought to that guitar & honestly feel little if any difference on the heavier trebs, but I can sure hear it. My 12 string gets 11-50's with a custom run of octaves or Thomastik-Infeld 12-52's, and again, it feels just right with either. I don't think I would want a guitar so lightly built something like the strings may damage it, when I am in the zone soft means soft but loud means loud and I want the full range of volumes available to me. Light or extra light gauge strings just don't do that as well for my styles acoustically.

I know few if any players who do not play expressively and I don't want the tone to suffer when either tickling the string or pounding it, so I use whatever gauge gets me the response I want for that guitar.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Quote from: Zohn on July 07, 2010, 01:02:29 AM
I got a H&D catalogue inside the shipping box when I bought my SD-50 4 years ago, and I have to say I've been gassing over a couple of H&D models, although have yet to see one here in Africa.
I particularly fancy the FS, OO-SP and 000-SP finger style models.
Magictwanger wrote me a very favourable report on the TD-M model as well which according to him is in the Martin D-18GE class.

Zohn, my favorites, too. I have the 00-sp that used to belong to Larry (LW216316). I still can't get over the dynamics that guitar is capable of. The FS, IMO, is right up there and the 000-sp should be right there with 'em. H&D is like a boutique guitar with more production (lucky for us).

And MichaelT: It does seem like there should be an industry standard on string gauges. My choice is what Curt Mangan calls Med/Lt (.012"-.054"). As long as they fit your style.

f