Nice JCL GOTM

Started by 247hoopsfan, June 30, 2010, 06:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronmac's JCL 40th Anniversary guitar sure looks nice on the Home page.  Matter of fact, it looks just like mine. :cheers

I can tell you first hand, they sound better than they look.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

Really nice views both of you have!   :+1:
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

It's beautiful.
04' Larrivee OM-03MT Forum I #9 of 17
08' Larrivee L-03R(E; Baggs)
09' Larrivee OO-03 Special Edition
00' Larrivee D-02
09' Baden A-Style Hog/Cedar
07' Breedlove Concert Maple
LTD ESP F-250
Ibanez S7420
QuoteAnyone's Everything.

Thanks!

I just showed the page to my wife, and her only comment was about how much her garden has improved since the shot was taken.  :roll

JCL really hit a home run with this edition of the L.
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on July 02, 2010, 09:22:03 AM
Thanks!

I just showed the page to my wife, and her only comment was about how much her garden has improved since the shot was taken.  :roll

JCL really hit a home run with this edition of the L.

hahahahahahahahaha of course...
04' Larrivee OM-03MT Forum I #9 of 17
08' Larrivee L-03R(E; Baggs)
09' Larrivee OO-03 Special Edition
00' Larrivee D-02
09' Baden A-Style Hog/Cedar
07' Breedlove Concert Maple
LTD ESP F-250
Ibanez S7420
QuoteAnyone's Everything.

There is a garden in the picture?????? :humour:
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

Love that guitar  :nice guitar:

My friend that I jam with occasionally has one exactly the same, although almost 30 years older.  Lots of mojo and a few repaired top cracks just add to it's character.  One of the nicest sounding guitars I've ever heard.  I picked up a '92 L-05 a couple of months ago that has the same rosette, not fingerboard inlays and nice older style headstock.  I just love the look and vibe of older (or in this case, re-issued) Larrivee's.

Play it in good health!

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Your L05 with the traditional mosaic rosette sounds nice.  GOTM material here???  Let's see some pictures...
jb

Quote from: Johnny M on July 02, 2010, 10:52:01 AM
Love that guitar  :nice guitar:

My friend that I jam with occasionally has one exactly the same, although almost 30 years older.  Lots of mojo and a few repaired top cracks just add to it's character.  One of the nicest sounding guitars I've ever heard.  I picked up a '92 L-05 a couple of months ago that has the same rosette, not fingerboard inlays and nice older style headstock.  I just love the look and vibe of older (or in this case, re-issued) Larrivee's.

Play it in good health!

John

Hi Folks, just joined.  I have a L0-7 model that looks almost identical except for the headstock logo and lack of binding strip down the back seam.  I just finished corresponding with Larrivee about it today!  Then I found this forum and now this thread.    I was blown away when I saw the GOTM pic on the home page.  There ws my guitar staring me in the face.  I sent Larrivee pictures and measurements this morning, and I got an invite to call Matt Larrivee for a discussion about it, which I did immediately!  He estimates it was made in late 83 or early 84 judging by the s/n.  He told me this particlar model was was used extensively in creating the JCL 40th anniversary reissue.  Mine has the same rosette and bindings.  He told me those particular bindings and purflings were made by a craftsman in Germany on my model and all of the models made in that era.  They are holly, rosewood, and pearwood.  The red and green flecks in the rosette are dyed holly.  They couldn't locate the original craftsman when they made the JCL, but they tried to.  He told me who actually made them on the JCL reissue but I have already forgotten (too exited to write it down).

I bought mine used in Jan. 1985.  It has a pickup (passive) inside somewhere and a jack in the strap botton.  I still have to determine if this is original.  Matt told me it was rare to install electronics back then , but they did do some on special order.  It is quite subject to feedback, but it sure sounds good plugged in otherwise.  I have to take pics of the inside and send them to Larrivee to find out for sure.  I think it might be a Barcus Berry hot dot.

I would be extremely interested to know if the dimensions of mine match, or are close to that GOTM.  The neck on mine is a soft V profile.  Matt Larrivee advised that at that time, his dad  was experimenting with neck profiles and mine is more or less based on an earlier Martin profile.  For brevity, I won't include my measurements here, but if anyone thinks it's worth it, I'll put them in another post and someone would have to measure a JCL to compare it.  I will post pics in my next post, but have to figure out how first.

By the way, the tone of this guitar is incredible and has aged beautifully.  If I had to describe it in a few words, I would say "balanced" and "mellow".  I use med. light strings on it and the action is average I would say.  I've haven't  adjusted anything on it since I bought it!  I don't even know if it has a truss rod.  (I don't see one).  Every note on every string balances with every other.  It has been my faithful sing-a-long companion for 25 years now.   When I play it, people listen!

Any comments on L-07 circa 1983-84 model would be greatly appreciated.

Pics to follow.

Kurt in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Trying to post some pics of my L-07 per my last post in this thread.  Guess I can't - newbie status.  Talk to me people.  I need an excuse to post.  Guess I need at least 10 posts to "graduate" past newbie.

Kurt in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Hi Kurt, I'd be most interested to see that L-07 of yours... the early 80's don't seem all that long ago. :beer
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

OK now I got an excuse to submit my L-07 measurements which I will paste here.  This is what I sent to Larrivee customer service this morning along with the pics of my L-07.

OK here are measurements I took.  Where I could, I used an electronic caliper.
Upper bout max width:                        11 3/4"
Lower bout max width:                        16 5/32"
Body length:                                       20 1/8"
Body depth @ strap button:                  4 5/16"
Body depth @ neck joint:                     4"
Waist:                                                10 3/8"
Neck width at nut:                                1 3/4"
Neck witdth at body joint (14th) fret:       2 3/16"
No. of frets:                                          20
Scale length:                                        Measured in metric it's exactly 325mm at 12th fret X 2 = 650mm.
String spacing at nut:                            1 13/32" or 35.8mm
String spacing at saddle:                       2 9/64" or 54.3mm
Neck thickness at nut:                          7/8" or 22.2mm  neck has a fairly deep rounded V profile.
Neck thickness at 9th fret:                    1 1/32" or 26.25mm
Sound hole diameter:                            3 9/32" or 99.2mm
Top thickness at soundhole edge:          7/64" or 2.75mm
Finger board thickness at outer edges:   7/32"
Finger board radius:                              20" from nut to soundhole.  Saddle curvature matches finger board curvature extremely well when sighting down neck.

Anything else you want me to measure:    LET ME KNOW.

Kurt

........... so now, only 7 posts to go and I can add my pics.  If I don't find an L-07 thread, I'll start one.

Kurt in Edmonton

Kurt 7 post with doughnuts in them will do just fine. :gotdonuts:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on July 30, 2010, 11:25:52 PM
:+1: :donut

best make it a round 10 to be safe.

Welcome to the forum Kurt. If you upload the pics to photobucket or the like you can insert the img code into your post instead.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Welcome Kurt, you find lots of helpful folks here, relax and enjoy yourself  :welcome:
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Hi Kurt,

Welcome to the Forum. That is my JCL (GOTM) staring back at you. It is a lovely instrument.

The older Larrivee instruments really do have a special something. They age beautifully, and I certainly can agree with you on the balance and tone being something folks take notice of. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your instrument.

Thanks for posting the instrument measurements. I will compare it to the reissue and see if their have been many changes.

Take care, Ron.
Ron

Hi Kurt. Looking forward to seeing the L-07. The old L's are fine guitars in my opinion. Here's my 1975 version.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: unclrob on July 30, 2010, 11:25:52 PM

OK, if I understand you correctly, here is number one of 7.  If not, please excuse the unnecessry repeats.
I have no idea what doughnuts signify at this point.  Guess I better do more research in the beginners threads.
:donut

Kurt

Number 2 of 7.

number 3