Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally!!!  (Read 1347 times)
Earthy

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2010, 01:40:40 PM »

Well, I've been lurking in the shadows of this and other forums trying to absorb as much information as possible to help with my quest for a great quitar, strings and luthier. For months now I've played many different guitars, mostly Martin and Taylor. Convinced I was going to buy a Martin for its big, warm tone, I then remembered the Larrivee brand. Don't you know I couldn't find one single Larrivee in Savannah so I drove to Atlanta to check 'em out. There I found a beautiful LV03RE and the rest is history. Then came the hunt for that preferred string tone. Everything I was trying seemed to be a bit too metallic, bright. I just wasn't happy with the trebles. Then I found the DR Sunbeam 12s and oh baby, pretty sweet. So my final quest was to get a really good setup and lower the action. Everyone I took it to in Savannah said we can't lower the action without getting some fret buzz. In order to do this the frets would have to be dressed/leveled and they all told me a new guitar doesn't need fret work. Then I found Uncle Rob on this forum. It was a 4 hour trip to Tallahassee but worth every mile. He is a master at his craft and very passionate about guitars. Quite the gentleman and fully warranties all his work. Now my Larrivee plays smooth as silk!

Thanks again, Uncle Rob, you rock!!!

Savannah John
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 01:58:14 PM »

Welcome to the club, brother. Thanks for the snacks. 
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »

welcome Earthy  great to see one who reads the rules 

Nice story - Uncl sure is appreciated around here. Happy to have you aboard the Crazy Train lots of knowledge liberally shared

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »

John don't forget to keeps note's.By the way the L03RE is a very nice guitar.I've never really been a fan of rosewood but I'm finding that I like the way Larrivee does rosewood.Also don't forget I'm now part owner.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »

Hey Earthy,

It's nice to know you can read! Thanks for the donuts. Here's a chaser:

BTW, Rob REALLY likes the single malt stuff.

I've never had the pleasure of meeting Rob or having him work on my guitars but everything you read on this forum about him is fact. (OK, Rob, NOW try to get your hat on!)

Welcome, to the forum and I really thought we could keep that Larrivee thing a secret and get you to buy an old, junky Taylor or Martin but... Alas!

Keep us posted on your love affair.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 05:42:30 PM »

I own one hat that was a gift from a client out of Australia and its to big for me.Cool hat though some sort of killer snake skin band with croc teeth.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 06:02:09 PM »

Rob,
I was just alluding to...

Oh, never mind.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 07:48:21 PM »

I knew what you were doing BUT how many chances does a guy get to say something about the only hat he own's and a cool one at that!!!

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 08:06:06 PM »

If it's yours, it's GOT to be cool!

bowdown

Earthy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 08:58:05 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, y'all. I appreciate the warm welcome. And don't worry Rob, I'll be sure to take good care of "our" guitar.
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 11:45:29 PM »

Hey Rob, don't forget that cool Santa hat on that guy on your site? Think he borrowed it from you?
   Just put a set of DR Rare 13's (like lights) on my Martin. Different sound. They didn't have the Sunbeams in my gauge, thus the Rares. One thing. The strings aren't sealed, my set having alot of residue on the unwound ones after playing for about 1/2 hour. Might have been sitting @ the shop for a while? Seal them!!!
   Rob, I know there is a difference in the core string, the Sumbeams being hex, the round being round & not PB (80/20?). Which do you think would be better for my Martin? The Rares sound nice, lots of bottom end, but want just a little more towards the high side, like I'd get with EJ-16s. Any comments?
   Rob is one knowledgable guy, having done many other things in his life before finding his "niche". Have spoken a couple of times on the phone, emailed & such, plus has one of my gits on his website. Knows his s***! Comes up with stuff from the past that I forgot. Need a guy like that around here!!
     Jeff

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
z-clay

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 12:48:34 AM »

Welcome to the forum Earthy. LV-03RE is one of the best Larrivee guitars imo.  nice guitar

Thanks for the doughnuts 
dee-ten

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 01:56:56 AM »

welcome Earthy! Smooth as silk?... that's why i bought my first Larri. 

2000 Larrivee D-10
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 03:03:14 AM »

Jeff the Santa hat belongs to my son.As for strings I'm rather stuck in the mud brand wise.I prefer the Dean Markley Vintage Bronze 80/20's or D'Addarrio EJ19's.I've played almost all the strings that get mentioned here and always go back too those two brands.

Earthy I know you will and I'll see you back in a few weeks for her checkup.Play take notes and enjoy.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: