Yet another bone saddle topic

Started by guitom, June 21, 2010, 02:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a 2003 L-05 that I'd like to put bone saddle in.  I'm not that handy, but it seems like this is something I should be able to do.  If I get one from Colosi, will I be able to drop it in and be done with it.  If I need to sand the bottom, is there a specific way to do that?

Also, I took the guitar to a gig last week for the first time and found the factory installed B-Band pickup to be extremely quiet, though otherwise it sounded great.  This may have been my imagination since my other guitar, a J-45, is inexplicably loud.  Will a bone saddle affect the pickup at all?

Can't answer the pick-up question, but as for the Colosi saddle, chances are you will not be able to simply drop it in.  It will need some sanding to fit your particular guitar.  Bob C. sends good instructions for how to do this.  Doesn't take a ton of technical skill, but will require a bit of time and patience.  As someone who recently went through this exact process, I highly recommend it.  My guitar sounds better, and to my eye, looks better with the bone saddle.  Good luck.
". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

I have ordered and installed several bone saddles from Colossi in different guitars. Each required fitting -- some more than others. And, yes, he provides great instructions for doing so.  Just for the heck of it, I recently ordered a bone saddle from the Larrivee site. I just (15 minutes ago) received it in the mail. And (5 minutes ago), I just finished installing it in my P-01. It, too, required some fitting but not in length and width -- just in depth. The process is very easy and it took less than 5 minutes using a belt sander. I should add that there are no instructions included with the Larrivee saddle.

As for the pickup volume, I can't really help with that.  Maybe it's a preamp problem (battery?) or poor contact issue?
Larrivee 00-40R

Thanks, you all are great.  The battery in the pickup could very well be the issue, but I think the contact is good.  As I said, I might just be that I A/B'd with a guitar that is too loud.  I think I'll go with the Colosi first (since it comes with instructions).

B-Band had some issues with their under saddle transducers losing volume, contact them and they will send you a replacement. There are a few threads on this issue. Check it with a new battery first.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I have had some issues with the performance of my under saddle Fishman pu that was traced down to my saddle being a slightly to tight of a fit in the bridge.  When the guitar was dry the pu worked great, when the guitar was in my case with the humidifier for some time, the bridge would slightly swell, the saddle would not sit on the pu properly and I would have volume and some times clarity problems.  Fishman sorted out the problem for me as soon as I gave them the symptoms. FWIW.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

I've put bone saddles in three of my Larrivees and I'd say If I can do it almost anyone can.   I will admit that I ruined the first one I tried.  I took off too much from a Colosi Saddle and there was nowhere to go at that point.  The lesson learned ?... BE PATIENT.   don't hurry and take off a tine bit at a time and test for fit before you go on.  If you are lucky you will only have to thin it a bit and take some off the bottom.  On one of mine I had to trim it in every dimension and it still came out perfect.   I'd be afraid to use a belt sander to aggressively;  I like a little palm sized vibrating sander with 4 inch flat sanding surface... it's is easy for me to handle for precise stuff like that.

I'm sure you will be able to nail it if you just take your time and check the fit often.   I don't have a clue about your B-band pickup system.  You may end up trying another type of system to get what you're after.   Oh, I just assume you've tried a new battery but if not that's where I'd start.

Thanks for all the advice.  I think I'll order the saddle today. 

Order at least 2,just in case.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help