Got to play a neat old Gibson today

Started by AZLiberty, June 11, 2010, 05:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was down in Tucson this morning on business. Since I got done early I hit the standard shops before heading back to phoenix.

While down at The Folk Shop, they guys told me to take a look at the Gibson they just got in. Ok I'm game, but not normally a fan of the "Gibson Sound".

Takes me a little while to figure out how to open the case. Guitar is in pretty good shape, some soundboard wear, but not bad. It's an L-00.

Start fingerpicking...

WOW. Easy to play, lots of sustain and overtones, none of the typical Gibson "thunk". Really really pretty sounding guitar.

Oh it was made in 1937.   :thumb

Also way outside my price range, but whoever buys it will be getting a really nice instrument.

I'll bet that was a nice diversion from work. Outside my price range too but if you go to youtube, you can find several clips featuring the L-00.

The L00 is a lot more guitar than it usually gets stereotyped as. A good L00 is something to marvel at. They can be fantastic fingerstyle guitars and are so much more than just "blues" boxes. By the way, I'd bet that "characteristic Gibson thunk" is present as well. You just need to dig in and bring it up to the fore! Pick up that L00 in one hand and a Larrivee 00 in the other and you will immediately understand how overbuilt Larrivee guitars are.
Now, if only modern Gibson guitars were on par with their best examples from the past. If anyone is interested in getting a hand built modern guitar in the Gibson tradition they would do well to check out Roberts String Works. Check out this vid of the LG2 insired Roberts Minstrel model: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knguuQOWRxY

Quote from: GA-ME on June 12, 2010, 08:25:59 AM

Now, if only modern Gibson guitars were on par with their best examples from the past. If anyone is interested in getting a hand built modern guitar in the Gibson tradition they would do well to check out Roberts String Works. Check out this vid of the LG2 insired Roberts Minstrel model:

Ahhhh yes - the L-00/LG2 inspired guitars are the best and grips my imagination big time! GA-ME if any one knows them, it must be you hey!!  :thumbsup
I fancy Gibby's 12 fretter Keb' Mo' signature blues master model with Adi, 25" scale length and a super-duper 1.8" nut width.

And then the Nick Lucas models - check out this all brazillian model:

more shots at http://www.gruhn.com/features/lucasrw/AG5124.html

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Unfortunately for the most part most of the neat Gibsons are old :wacko:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I've played few truly old guitars, but what has stood out to me was the way the sound just flowed from the body. The few oldies I've played were modern day performers so they were probably picked for this characteristic already, but I worked far less to get far more in terms of tone and sustain with a '53 Martin and an early '40's Gibson.

Maybe all the old ones that didn't sound good were smashed in frustration, so only the best sounding ones are left. Survival of the fittest?
Larrivee L-03
Larrivee P-03
Gretsch 6120
Gibson ES-335
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: Skyver on July 12, 2010, 09:41:58 AM
Maybe all the old ones that didn't sound good were smashed in frustration, so only the best sounding ones are left. Survival of the fittest?
Intriguiging possibility  :tongue: More likely old craftsmanship lost to the "Ole' Bottom Line"  :rolleye:
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden