Are there any Larrivee dreads with 1 3/4" neck?

Started by Bobmoon10, June 10, 2010, 11:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all,
        Woke up with bad GAS this morning, and I`m wondering if Larrivee make a dread with 1 3/4'' neck?
Don`t mind at all if there`re older models either!
Cheers

Rob.  :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee
2003-  L-01
2008-  D-03e sp
2006-  Takamine Jumbo 12
1971-  Telecaster

Rob
I remember seeing one advertised once - it was a D-09 with an Engelman top, florentine cut away and Fishman electronics - most extraordinary. I have never seen one in the flesh though, and can't understand why.  :?
Most other makers have them in wider necks as well, and I would love one.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

There have been a very few made over the years. You might be able to special order one.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I have been wondering the same recently, just never posed the question on here.  Thanks for
prompting the thread Rob.

I've been looking off and on for a while now for a Larrivee 'D' in larger than 1 11/16 and haven't seen a single one.

Could this possibly be something to put in a small special order through here?  I'm not talking "Forum V" kind of stuff -
but it would be cool!

Dale

Thanks for the replies Randy and Zohn,
I`m a real Joni Mitchell Fan and I have fairly big hands for my size!
That`s why I would like a dreadnought with a wider neck and I now have a real soft spot for larrivee's
especially after watching Jeans' video on utube! I was very inspired by his dedication to building his guitars!
It would be even harder to get a Larri wide-neck dread in Australia (where I live). Maybe I`ll get over it,
but that`s doubtful!

Dale,
       I think a wide neck dread would be great for a lot of guys! We would`nt have to look to other brands!
This sounds serious! Something should be done! :crying:

Rob.

2003-  L-01
2008-  D-03e sp
2006-  Takamine Jumbo 12
1971-  Telecaster

I seemed to have missed your introduction Rob, :welcome:
The Larrivee SD series dreads come with a 1 7/8" nut width which is eeeextra wide.  

I do agree that there is a definite requirement for 1 3/4" or even 1 23/32", and other builders certainly produce them in that spec.
Fongie, Scott, here's another "Southerner" mates!!
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Thanks for the welcome Zohn,
                                               That`s interesting, I have a jumbo takamine 12 with 1 7/8'' nut width, and I handle that ok!
so I`ll definitely look into the SD series dreads!  Thanks for the info!

Cheers!   Rob.
2003-  L-01
2008-  D-03e sp
2006-  Takamine Jumbo 12
1971-  Telecaster

Well guys,  I`ve decided I`m going to track down a d-o3 or d-03r and get re-accustomed to the thinner neck!
                   I think I just got too used to my takamine 12 with the 1 7/8" nut.( the tak. ain`t seen daylight since I got the L-01 :rolleye:)
                   Played a friends dread with 1 11/16'' nut yesterday and it wasn`t all that bad really! Maybe I`ll just replace the nut later and
                   spread the strings as much as can be done!
                   Bye the way, this L-01 I bought is without a doubt, THE BEST FINGER- PICKER I HAVE EVER PLAYED!!! The tone and action are superb. Fantastic!

Get em while there hot guys'.    :donut :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee

Cheers -    Rob.
2003-  L-01
2008-  D-03e sp
2006-  Takamine Jumbo 12
1971-  Telecaster

I have a L09CE that has a 1 3/4 nut and also HAD  L05 with the same, (sold it to my brother) I LOVE the 1 3/4 nut ,, Ive also got a Martin D 15 with a  1 11/16 nut and it just feels to CRAMPED for me and I never play it because of that, make sure you are comfortable with that size neck before you shell out big dollars, I wont but another guitar with anything less then 1 3/4,. its just not comfortable for me anymore,, I TOO would be interested in a Larrivee Dread with a 1 3/4" nut if they had one  :thumb I'm also gassin for a Dread and shopping around, even a jumbo,, been looking hard at some Gibsons,, but its gotta have a 1 3/4 nut or I wont buy it  :beer
Jim

"I'm growin older,, but not up"  Jimmy Buffett

Larrivee L09 CE
Larrivee L-05
Epiphone 12 string '76
'01 Gibson SG Special
John Mayer Signature Fender Strat
Jimmie Vaughan Fender Strat
Epiphone Iommi SG
Ibanez Artist '82
Various other electronics and amps

I have a D-03 with a 1 &3/4" nut, but I think only about a dozen of them were made for Jim Holler at Trinity Guitars.  I feel VERY fortunate to have one.
"The hardest thing in this world .... is to live in it." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

CF,
      Thanks for the reply my friend!  My chances of finding a Larrivee dread with a wider nut in Australia
are just about nil, I would say, and I really do want it to be a Larrivee !  You certainly are very fortunate to have
one and I envy you. Thanks again mate!!

LO5Fan,
            I found (for me at least) if I have the action set as low as possible, I can fret the strings with a much softer touch,
and my finger tips don`t turn into plates of meat! :smile: If I really want a Larrivee dread, it looks like I don`t have any choices.
It only feels a bit cramped on first and second frets for me! Maybe a good luthier could make up a nut with slightly wider string spacing!
Guess I only have to ask!
Thanks for the beer mate! :beer

2003-  L-01
2008-  D-03e sp
2006-  Takamine Jumbo 12
1971-  Telecaster

Well folks, I now have a new D-03e sp, to add to my arsenal!  Bought it on ebay brand new from a music store here in OZ for $1,199 au. It was a shop demo!
They retail for about $2,650 here in Australia, so I`m real happy with the price I got it for ! I`ve given it a thorough inspection all over
and can`t find the slightest imperfection anywhere!! and it sounds and plays fantastically! My L-01 has a slightly better tone, but it is an older guitar!
Maybe the dread could do with a Tonerite treatment?  I`ll send some pics as soon as I get a decent camera!
BTW, I sent Larrivee the serial # of the L-01, and got a reply from Mike Kitchen within 2 days. Said it was made in Vancouver on  05/ 01/ 2003. That`s quick service!!

Anyhow, I`ve waffled on enough here, but you know how it is when you get a new addition to the family!! (you just gotta tell someone!)  :bgrin:

Cheers all

Rob  M.
2003-  L-01
2008-  D-03e sp
2006-  Takamine Jumbo 12
1971-  Telecaster

JCL told me he used to do 1 3/4" nuts for the D's, amnd the marketing people told him they had to be 1 11/16's! Go figure  :?
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

If the D-03R had a 1 3/4" nut it would still be my main instrument. I loved that thing. I even had a new nut put in with maximum spacing, but it wasn't enough. I then got an L-03RE, but I preferred the dread sound. Finally a forum member was selling an older, higher model with a wide nut but thin neck profile, perfect for my short, thick, and imprecise fingers. It's a wonderful guitar, but if the Larrivee made the D-03R with a wider nut, it would be the perfect guitar at an amazing price.