favorite 70's bands?

Started by DaveyO, June 10, 2010, 09:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: tuffythepug on June 18, 2010, 04:31:16 PM
Well, most of my favorites have been mentioned already.    But, having lived close to the S.F. Bay area most of my life I'll just throw in a couple of local favorites from those days:    the Sons of Champlin,  and Quicksilver Messenger Service.
Never heard of them Tuffy but I'll check em out. When you were near the bay area, did you ever get to see the original Limeliters?

Quote from: z-clay on June 18, 2010, 09:08:17 PM
Never heard of them Tuffy but I'll check em out. When you were near the bay area, did you ever get to see the original Limeliters?

Nope, never saw the Limeliters.    Saw plenty of other performers though.   The original Jefferson Airplane, Greatful Dead, Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company for example could be seen for a couple of bucks at small venues in the city and in GG park. 
Saw the Allman Brothers when they were still Allman Joy.     But I digress...

If you want to check out the Sons of Champlin I'd recommend the first album;  a double disc set called "Loosen Up Naturally"... from around 69 or 70.  Very jazz influenced rock with vibrophone, horns and the whole works.   Almost anything by Quicksilver is worth a listen.
They had one minor hit.... "Pride of Man" but most of their stuff was underground FM play only.

Did somebody already mention Traffic ?   I used to really like their stuff too.

Toto
Styx

most of the others already listed.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: tuffythepug on June 18, 2010, 04:31:16 PM
Well, most of my favorites have been mentioned already.    But, having lived close to the S.F. Bay area most of my life I'll just throw in a couple of local favorites from those days:    the Sons of Champlin,  and Quicksilver Messenger Service.

Awhile back I was driving with my youngest son, and I had made a playlist which included "The Fool" by QMS....my son was just transfixed......he asked "how come I've never heard that before"....The Fool has to be one of the best songs ever.....

Quote from: Walkerman on June 21, 2010, 10:03:41 AM
Awhile back I was driving with my youngest son, and I had made a playlist which included "The Fool" by QMS....my son was just transfixed......he asked "how come I've never heard that before"....The Fool has to be one of the best songs ever.....

I've had the same reaction from my kids when they were young;  they're in their 30's now.    I used to sit them down and put on a "record" for them to hear.    Usually they were amazed that there was such music that they'd never heard of.  I never realized that they paid much attention to it until last year on father's day my oldest daughter gave me a cd she made that had about 20 songs on it that she had heard me play for her way back when she was a little girl.  I don't know how many hours she spent searching for these tunes, downloading them and making the cd.  I was touched.   

Re;  "The Fool" ..  I'm glad you had a chance to share that discovery moment with your son.   Also glad that you don't have to roll up a big fat one and sit in the park with a jug of Red Mountain wine to appreciate it like I once did.
:roll

These days my daughters and I have very similar tastes in music.   We are always sharing new artists and songs with each other.    I must have done something right along the way.

"......Re;  "The Fool" ..  I'm glad you had a chance to share that discovery moment with your son.   Also glad that you don't have to roll up a big fat one and sit in the park with a jug of Red Mountain wine to appreciate it like I once did....."

Back in the day (way back for some)...we used to pull  all night drives from school (Cal Poly Pomona) to Mammoth for a weekend of skiing.  We'd be coming to the end of the drive thru the desert , usually just past Independence, as the sun was rising.  We used to pull over, share some "coffee" and watch the sunrise while listening to "The Fool."  It just seemd like the perfect song to greet the morning.

Funny the memories a song will bring back.

I forgot Mountian for rock.Old and in the way for bluegrass.Rory Gallagher.John Fahey,Leo Kottke,Curved Air,Rennisance.Oddley enough Black Sabbath,Deep Purple,Grinder Switch,the Winters Brothers,Marshall Tucker,Charlie Danials.I think of more.....
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Tuffy, if I didn't say Traffic, I meant to. One of the best. I was among the few who actually saw Blind Faith. Toronto, Varsity Stadium, July 18, 1969. Very cool! Have you heard the new Clapton and Winwood live CD? Great stuff!  

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/blindfaith/electriccircus769.html

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 21, 2010, 04:14:20 PM
Tuffy, if I didn't say Traffic, I meant to. One of the best. I was among the few who actually saw Blind Faith. Toronto, Varsity Stadium, June 7, 1969. Very cool! Have you heard the new Clapton and Winwood live CD? Great stuff! 

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/blindfaith/electriccircus769.html

Duck, a quick check back to the beginning and I see that you did mention Traffic in the last line of your post.   I missed it earlier.   I guess if we are going to mention Traffic we have to mention Dave Mason as a separate entity since he had some great solo work as well as one so-so record with Mama Cass Elliot.    Mason is still touring I guess.  I saw him in Reno a few years ago.

Quote from: tuffythepug on June 21, 2010, 04:46:53 PM

Duck, a quick check back to the beginning and I see that you did mention Traffic in the last line of your post.   I missed it earlier.   I guess if we are going to mention Traffic we have to mention Dave Mason as a separate entity since he had some great solo work as well as one so-so record with Mama Cass Elliot.    Mason is still touring I guess.  I saw him in Reno a few years ago.

Alone Together is, IMO, one of the best albums ever.  Mason played in Ventura a few months ago...a charity event to save the hills from development.

Quote from: Walkerman on June 21, 2010, 05:26:04 PM
Alone Together is, IMO, one of the best albums ever.  Mason played in Ventura a few months ago...a charity event to save the hills from development.

Agreed.   Alone Together is still one of the best.  Every song a winner.    "Shouldn't Have Took More Than You Gave" is still one of my favorite songs.

Quote from: tuffythepug on June 21, 2010, 04:46:53 PM

Yeah, I edited the date of the concert, by the way. Oddly, the google main page said June 7, the link says July 18 which rings a bell although I thought it was in August. Long time ago. Anyway, now we don't match. In case anyone's actually reading this
and is that observant.
Steve Winwood has had a interesting career which I've followed from his days in the Spencer Davis Group. Believing Winwood to be a keyboard player, when I saw Blind Faith, he was the one that blew my mind. If Clapton was God, WHO IS THIS GUY??? Terrific guitarist! I had given Mason credit for Traffic's guitar work but actually Mason played mainly acoustic rhythm with the band. Check out Winwood smoking on 'Giving to You' on Mr. Fantasy. Mason, although he added a bunch of swell tunes including the classic 'Feeling Alright ' and the very groovy 'You Can All Join In', in reality, didn't totally fit in with Winwood and Capaldi's jazzier leanings. It's hard to fit two geniuses in one band and it was Winwood's band. If the result is Alone Together, however, we should applaud the divorce. It is definitely one of my favourites from the period. I have it in both the regular and the clown barf vinyl with Mason peering over the gatefold! Headkeeper's pretty decent, as well, if I recall. Haven't listened to that in a long while.  :ph34r:       

I still have the clown-barf lp too.   along with a newer cd version as the old record has seen a lot of needle over the years.    I enjoy the Traffic period with Mason and especially the You Can All Join In,  Feelin' Alright and Good Ol Fashioned Medicated Goo cuts.  The later Traffic such as the Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys album got into the jazzy stuff you referred to.    Spencer Davis Group's Gimme Some Lovin' will always be a rock and roll classic:  Stevie on the organ on that one, I'm sure.  I read that he was only about 16 or 17 at the time.  Could that be right ?

Quote from: tuffythepug on June 22, 2010, 01:52:26 AM
    Spencer Davis Group's Gimme Some Lovin' will always be a rock and roll classic:  Stevie on the organ on that one, I'm sure.  I read that he was only about 16 or 17 at the time.  Could that be right ?

I believe Steve Winwood was 16 at the time he recorded this song...

Quote from: tuffythepug on June 22, 2010, 01:52:26 AM
I still have the clown-barf lp too.   along with a newer cd version as the old record has seen a lot of needle over the years.    I enjoy the Traffic period with Mason and especially the You Can All Join In,  Feelin' Alright and Good Ol Fashioned Medicated Goo cuts.  The later Traffic such as the Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys album got into the jazzy stuff you referred to.    Spencer Davis Group's Gimme Some Lovin' will always be a rock and roll classic:  Stevie on the organ on that one, I'm sure.  I read that he was only about 16 or 17 at the time.  Could that be right ?

Yep, I believe he was 15 when he started singing with the SDG along with his big brother Muff. He wasn't  anything like Justin Bieber, however. He could sing like Ray Charles at that age. He played guitar in SDG, as well. I've seen videos. My favourite is I'm a Man. Just sitting 'round creating all that groovy kind of stuff!

".....Just sitting 'round creating all that groovy kind of stuff!....."

Wasn't that Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders?     :humour:

Quote from: Walkerman on June 22, 2010, 08:47:02 AM
".....Just sitting 'round creating all that groovy kind of stuff!....."

Wasn't that Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders?     :humour:

Oddly, one of the least minderbendering bands of the era. I think Hollywood has made a biopic of Fontana, however. The Last Mindbender or something like that. Not to be confused with Catch 22's Milo Minderbinder. :laughin: 

I have a need to give a shout out to David Bowie and his guitar God side-kick Mick Ronson: "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust" came out in '72 and I can say without hyperbole that it's the greatest work of art since Eve.  :wink: I've always loved the line; "Well the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar..."
Larrivee D-03 HH
1991 Marc Beneteau Dread
'70s Joodee YW40M
Early 70's El Degas MT10

Considering that I'm only 22......

Boston
Scorpions
Black Sabbath
Anything and everything Clapton was invovled in
04' Larrivee OM-03MT Forum I #9 of 17
08' Larrivee L-03R(E; Baggs)
09' Larrivee OO-03 Special Edition