favorite 70's bands?

Started by DaveyO, June 10, 2010, 09:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From my high school days, let's make sure we don't forget Emerson, Lake and Palmer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=570W6DKg_Oo&feature=related

I wonder if the intro by Greg Lake is enought to convince anyone around here besides me about the merits of a Forum V (L or Jumbo) guitar with flamed or quilted maple back and sides.

Slap to the forehead! ABBA - of course! :thumbsup

Unless the creature is being sarcastic.
In which case, I'm not looking very cool right now.... :whistling:
Larrivee D-03 HH
1991 Marc Beneteau Dread
'70s Joodee YW40M
Early 70's El Degas MT10

Quote from: cantwellm on June 12, 2010, 04:25:39 PM
Slap to the forehead! ABBA - of course! :thumbsup

Unless the creature is being sarcastic.
In which case, I'm not looking very cool right now.... :whistling:
Nope.  I'm dead serious.  I still listen to them sometimes!

Abba were brilliant popsmiths.  I've always loved them.  I have vinyl copies of Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits Vol. 2 to prove it!
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

And they knew how to dress!    :laughin:

Ok...somebody's gotta say this, and then take heat for it, but the Grateful Dead made some amazing music in the 70s.  The Allmans too, but someone already nodded to them.

And of course, the Stones finest music came in a burst from 1968-1972.

All of this I came to appreciate later.

For me in the late seventies, there were really only five bands:  The Clash, Elvis Costello, The Jam, David Bowie and The Talking Heads.
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

I was all over the place in the 70's. Listened to a lot of guys like BW Stevenson, Jerry Jeff Walker, Michael Murphey (pre Michael MARTIN Murphey) Willie Nelson's "Red Headed Stranger" came out in 75'. I liked Rod Stewart, Poco, The Band, Jethro Tull, CSN, Neil young. But, I've gotta say, I went to a Jethro Tull concert, and the opening band absolutely blew me away when they came out and began their set with "I've Seen All Good People." I had never heard of Yes, but they were amazing live. I wore that 8 track out in my dad's 1970 Thunderbird. (Didn't have an 8 track player in my 57' Fairlane.  :ph34r:

Foreigner
Savoy Brown
Lynard Skynard
BTO
Bob Marley and the Wailers
Queen
Springsteen
ZZ Top
Guess Who
Jethro Tull
Journey
Kansas
Van Halen
Fleetwood Mac (w/ Buckingham/Nicks)
Joe Walsh
Alan Parsons
Meat Loaf

Whatta decade

There have been a ton of great bands mentioned on this thread, but the mention of Savoy Brown by Walkerman brought a smile to my face.  I'll have to go home and dig out my copy of "Street Corner Talking"...

How could I forget Bob Marley and the Wailers, Steve? Great addition! Great band! Even better than ABBA.  :rolleye:

Quote from: jimmy buffett on June 16, 2010, 01:59:07 PM
There have been a ton of great bands mentioned on this thread, but the mention of Savoy Brown by Walkerman brought a smile to my face.  I'll have to go home and dig out my copy of "Street Corner Talking"...

My favotite album was "Lookin In"...what a cover art.  And how could I have mentioned Savoy Brown and forgotten to mention Foghat....My bad.

Does anyone have or has anyone named a band that they liked then but have trouble listening to now? I don't mean their new music (which might let The Stones off the hook) but the stuff you liked way back then. Or does our taste (or lack of it) pretty much stay the same until the day we hear that band? For me it's stayed pretty much the same and actually I've learned to like some popular bands that I wouldn't listen to then. Like David Bowie, for instance. ABBA still hasn't made the grade, however.   

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 16, 2010, 02:00:14 PM
How could I forget Bob Marley and the Wailers, Steve? Great addition! Great band! Even better than ABBA.  :rolleye:

One of my prized possessions is a concert poster one of my sons gave me.  It's from a concert at the London Lyceum Ballroom with two bands on the bill...George Harrison and Bob Marley.  The picture on the poster is of Harrison and Marley  (both quite young) shaking hands.

Quote from: Walkerman on June 16, 2010, 02:08:47 PM
One of my prized possessions is a concert poster one of my sons gave me.  It's from a concert at the London Palladium with two bands on the bill...George Harrison and Bob Marley.  The picture on the poster is of Harrison and Marley  (both quite young) shaking hands.

That'd be a good one, alright. Both were fine guitarists who died too young. The BMW Live album is absolutely tremendous, ain't it? 

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 16, 2010, 02:06:35 PM
Does anyone have or has anyone named a band that they liked then but have trouble listening to now? I don't mean their new music (which might let The Stones off the hook) but the stuff you liked way back then. Or does our taste (or lack of it) pretty much stay the same until the day we hear that band? For me it's stayed pretty much the same and actually I've learned to like some popular bands that I wouldn't listen to then. Like David Bowie, for instance. ABBA still hasn't made the grade, however.   
I used to listen to Jethro Tull and I can't tolerate them any more.
but... "I like David Bowie now, for instance. ABBA still hasn't made the grade, however."

In the 70's I liked several bands but my constant faves were.........

Ted Nugent
Rush
The Rolling Stones
Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush
Led Zep
Edgar Winter Group
April Wine
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Charlie Daniels Band

Jethro Tull was my favourite band back then but like ducktrapper I just cant handle them at all now. Another classic case of ¨what the hell was I thinking of¨was a little known guy named Bo Hansen who did an album called ¨Lord of the Rings¨in 72 or so....I heard it again 25 years later and it was then that I realised pot will make you like anything..... :wacko:

Larrivee D-03 HH
1991 Marc Beneteau Dread
'70s Joodee YW40M
Early 70's El Degas MT10

Well, most of my favorites have been mentioned already.    But, having lived close to the S.F. Bay area most of my life I'll just throw in a couple of local favorites from those days:    the Sons of Champlin,  and Quicksilver Messenger Service.