Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Martin Lifespan SP Strings  (Read 6773 times)
12barBill

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2010, 01:32:12 PM »

Anyone seen this yet?

http://www.cleartonestrings.com/press.asp

mas music

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:50:35 PM »

Very interesting. It seems that cleartone is known for the best string coating in the industry. Never the less lot's of guitarist really dislike the sound of them. I wonder Does Martin make there own strings or does some other company make them ?

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:40:48 AM »

Martin makes their own strings in Mexico.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
frankhond

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 11:32:08 AM »

Some fun might be had when combining the quote "Cleartone is the thinnest, period." with Tommy Emmanuels "coated strings are condom strings".
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 11:51:47 AM »

So, Martin made a deal with a producer of crappy sounding strings to save money. Nothing new here.
12barBill

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 01:36:06 PM »

I don't know if it has anything to do with saving money. Martin discontinued the SP+ coated strings last year, so this must have been in the works for a while. They must feel like Clearone's patented process is a good way to try to produce an extended life string. It's more of a treatment than a coating. I don't like Cleartone strings because I don't like the wire; it's not very pliable and they play extremely stiff for the gauge. If Martin is going to use the Cleartone process on their SP strings I will certainly give them a try. 
Mass. Wine Guy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 04:47:42 PM »

I wonder Does Martin make there own strings or does some other company make them ?

Spelling 101: Their not there. Oh, the education in America these days!
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »

If you're going to be sensitive about spelling on this forum I think you're going to have a miserable time. Just deal with it; there are some great people here and we're happy to have a new one, even if he can spell.

BTW:

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
mas music

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 02:18:20 PM »

Guilty as charged, Eye reely kant spel all that whel. rolleye

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 04:55:48 AM »

ohmy

Mr Wine Guy (or is it "Whine" Guy?), how 'bout a formal intro? - please read the "rules" http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=12906.0 - you'll find you owe respected members around here a donut or two.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 12:40:22 PM »

I used Cleartones for a couple of years (Bluegrass set), but then got a good set of mics and interface and started recording a bit which lead to comparing strings and I found a whole lot of them I liked the sound of much more. I'm on a DR Sunbeam kick lately simply because of the way they record and feel. From the player's perspective it is really hard to judge and remember what string sounds like what, but record a couple different brands with the same songs and it is pretty obvious what difference the string makes.

Good luck to Martin on the new venture, I may try a set of them myself, but I gotta say the Cleartones are way down on the choice list at this point for me on the DV09 or my L05-12.

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »

Can't say if my first post on any forum has every been to provide criticism of spelling.   cop  bigrin

(But can you read forum rules?  bigrin)

Steve ....aka the SMan
axehead

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 01:59:44 AM »

As to playability, tension of these strings, look at the Martin site. Seems to be 2 forms of medium guage lifespan strings. Maybe that's why some players find them too hard to press. I fingerpick medium guage and bend them a little. Sorry, I didn't see the post on this til now, after buying the lifespan strings. NOTE THE UPPER RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX WILL SAY:  MSP 7200 or MSP 6200. One has a tension of 181 pounds and the other 186 pounds. There's your playability differential, and probably the sound difference for your particular guitar. I have a Larrivee 09 Jumbo. Hey, Jean. I used to work at the Millwhee Guitar Shop in Toronto. Still remember you, and my most unfortunate incident with my fairly new cedar-top.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: