Martin Guitars

Started by alvinlam, June 03, 2010, 03:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 03, 2010, 08:31:55 PM
I just have to say history, schmistory. The past is gone. On the whole, LarrivĂ©es are better guitars than Martins.  :whistling:

I don't know if Larrivees are better but then again I sold my Martin D-35 last year and now own five Larrivees.  So I guess you could say that I prefer Larrivees over Martin.

I know over the last few years I have had at least 10 Larrivees and I do regret letting some of them go. But when twice I could have sold my Martin my wife told me I would regret it and I agreed with her and have kept it.

My OM-21 is 17 years old now and well played in and I do admit even the Eric Clapton models and others I play that are new don't seem to have as nice a sound to me as the one I already have.

As far as Larrivee being consistent between models more so than Martin I don't know. But I have played many Larrivees other than the ten I have owned and I do hear differences in the same models. As there should be for obvious reasons.

But any guitar can sound different with new strings, proper humidification, and the setting it is being played in.

And of course the player. :donut

"But any guitar can sound different with new strings, proper humidification, and the setting it is being played in."

Well stated Danny.

Two things to keep in perspective:

1) Jean Larrivee stated that he traveled to Nazareth early in his guitar building career to visit Martin Guitars and I would guess that had an impact on his thinking.

2) Last year, Martin produced over 69,000 guitars (excluding Little Martins and Backpackers) bringing total production since 1898 to over 1.4 million guitars.

http://www.mguitar.com/history/dating.html

The quality, value and affordability of the 03 series made it possible for me to buy both of my Larrivees and still have enough money left to purchase my OM-35. I chose that path rather than pool all of my resources for one higher end (at least based on my budget) guitar for $3,500.

Yesterday morning I got up early and played my 12 string on the back porch for 15 minutes. When my son walked into the house last night, he reached over the two Martin cases and grabbed the Larrivee Parlor to play and I picked up my D-35 to play during the Flyers/Blackhawks playoff game . Go figure.

Play it daily for best results.

Tone? I'll paraphrase Chet Atkins, after being told his guitar had great tone, who then placed the guitar on its stand and asked something like,  "How's it sound now?"  I give Blake nearly all the credit for that "tone" and bet he would sound just as good on my D-05 or my 000-50 or even my old FG-180.   

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 05, 2010, 12:29:55 PM
Tone? I'll paraphrase Chet Atkins, after being told his guitar had great tone, who then placed the guitar on its stand and asked something like,  "How's it sound now?"  I give Blake nearly all the credit for that "tone" and bet he would sound just as good on my D-05 or my 000-50 or even my old FG-180.   

Of course he would sound good.  But there's something special about old Martin guitars and their signature tone.  My newish D-18GE has some of that tone and will in time assume that tone, although it will be my son playing it.   :wink:  The old Martins I played last month in Eugene keep haunting me with that sound. 

But as good as those Martins are, I wouldn't give up the F-IV for one (unless it was, heh, pre-war...).

Quote from: prof_stack on June 05, 2010, 01:04:12 PM
Of course he would sound good.  But there's something special about old Martin guitars and their signature tone.  My newish D-18GE has some of that tone and will in time assume that tone, although it will be my son playing it.   :wink:  The old Martins I played last month in Eugene keep haunting me with that sound. 

But as good as those Martins are, I wouldn't give up the F-IV for one (unless it was, heh, pre-war...).

No doubt about it. Those old Martin guitars will cost you as much or more than putting your kid through school, however. I'll grow old with my own guitars, thank you. How much would Blake's guitar cost you by the way? How about a new copy? I'd love to play my 000-50 side by side with this. I'm willing to wager I got the better deal. Unless you think an an adirondack top is worth a couple grand.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/00028NB.htm   

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 05, 2010, 07:10:24 PM
No doubt about it. Those old Martin guitars will cost you as much or more than putting your kid through school, however. I'll grow old with my own guitars, thank you. How much would Blake's guitar cost you by the way? How about a new copy? I'd love to play my 000-50 side by side with this. I'm willing to wager I got the better deal. Unless you think an an adirondack top is worth a couple grand.

And I bet Blake playing my used $200 Silver Creek T-160 would sound just as good as your pricey 000-50  :smile:

No doubt about it. Those old Martin guitars will cost you as much or more than putting your kid through school, however. I'll grow old with my own guitars, thank you.
You probably have more years left than I do!  My kid is putting himself through grad school so maybe I can indulge?  I'll be in Eugene next week and might have the chance to play the oldies again.

... How much would Blake's guitar cost you by the way?  How about a new copy? I'd love to play my 000-50 side by side with this. I'm willing to wager I got the better deal...
Blake has had a few signature models.  All are really pricey and very focused in sound.  Your 000-50 would sound just fine next to his 000.  No doubt you got the better deal.

... Unless you think an an adirondack top is worth a couple grand...
Adirondack and Italian spruce (Forum-III) are really stiff when new.  I will probably go with Sitka on top for my next guitar, whenever that might be.

Quote from: noyage on June 05, 2010, 08:23:02 PM
And I bet Blake playing my used $200 Silver Creek T-160 would sound just as good as your pricey 000-50  :smile:

Depends. Is Blake playing both or am I playing the latter?  :smile:

Quote from: alvinlam on June 03, 2010, 03:57:43 AM
What are the qualities of Martin guitars that endeared itself to players?  I'm not asking to spite Martin owners but sincerely wants to learn about its uniqueness.  For example, I like Ovation guitars because of its unique design and sound (but can't describe it in words).  Have some  :coffee :coffee :coffee and  :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 before chiming in. Thanks.

Ok, I'll get some coffee and donuts and be right back.. :roll

Quote from: dependan on June 04, 2010, 08:46:14 AM

My OM-21 is 17 years old now

My OM-21 would be turning 17 this year too!  But I don't know where she is or if she's safe.  I probably should never have sold that one.

I have a D-18V now that I truly believe is the best guitar that I've ever owned.  I'll probably sell it someday too because I'm a moron.

I love the Martin sound.

I walked into a shop yesterday and played an om-21 special which was astounding. But this is not to say that my 2 Larris are lesser. The Martin had an "oldtime" sound. My Larris have a "modern" sound. I actually could see myself buying that om-21 since it distincitly is "not Larrivee" in its sound.

I've got a Collings for the Martin sound. My H&D and L-03 are so different and, to me, even sound better. I endured the Martin D-18 sound many years ago and just never fell in love with it.

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

I've owned 3 Martins and all were good guitars.  D-15, 000-15, and a D-35. They hold their value.

D-15      Played it for 6 months and sold it to a guy in Canada (broke even).
000-15  Played it for 2 weeks and traded it for a Taylor (broke even)
D-35      Played it for 1 month and traded it for a Gibson.............traded the Gibson for a Larrivee = Big winner!!!  :thumbsup

They smell nice !! :smile:

Dr.
2014 Recording King RD-310
2015 Recording King RP-G6 Parlor
2016 Corboba C7 Cedar/Rosewood
2020 Larrivee OM-40 SBT
2023 Martin OM-18 Adirondack/Sinker Mahogany
"Character is what you are in the dark"

Quote from: Dr.Lee on June 27, 2010, 05:23:12 PM
They smell nice !! :smile:

Dr.

That's the Spanish cedar linings they use.

Yes, I am enjoying the smell of my new custom OOO-15SM from My Favorite Guitars!!