Martin Guitars

Started by alvinlam, June 03, 2010, 03:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a D-41 in house for some minor repairs this week. It is really a well made, nice looking guitar. And it does sound very good. It needs new strings, but still the tone and projection are so nice.
  It does look like it uses mini-pings with the Martin brand though. If I get caught up with other things I'd like to remove one and check the back stamp.

A player has to be confident in what sounds and feels good to his ears.......I am sure there are some outstanding Martins out there, I have played many that didn't get my "appeal juices" flowing. Obviously investment-wise a good choice. But I love Larrivee for the consistency of quality, sound and more - not worried about resale.

That reminds me of a bluegrass show my band played where a couple of pickers came side stage afterward asking me about my Martin Guitar.........actually their first enlightment of the  Larrivee D03 on the mic instead!!!!!!!! :thumb
Mark
Larrivee D03R
Larrivee RS4 tobacco P90's

Quote from: ST on September 09, 2010, 11:54:33 AM
I compared my D41 (circa 1986) to several Larrivées and a Morgan here:

Guitar comparison and camera test
ST what is your view of the D-41? I mean how do you rate it among other large bodied guitars you have had.
    I was playing the one here at my house last night after Playing the F-IV, the Traitor 615ce and my F-III.  I played the others for several songs and enjoyed each one a lot. I missed having my OM-21 so I thought, well I have this D-41 so it should sound very similar and even better.
    Wrong, I didn't even finish one song. I just wiped it down and put it back. I think a new string set would help this one out though.

Hi Danny,

I got that D41 in the mid-90s with the mindset that everyone should have a Martin. Like my Larrivée   C10 it got very little play time because I didn't have a pickup in it.  I got a pickup in the C10 a few years ago and play it a lot. I haven't gotten around to putting a pickup in the D41 so it still doesn't get much air-time.

I nearly sold that D41 last year. I just hadn't quite bonded with it but I decided to keep it until the day that I really want something more and I'm willing to give it up as part of a trade-in deal.

Can't say that I rate my guitars one against the others. I don't really have a conscious ranking of them. I just reach for what feels right at the time. I do find myself reaching for that D41 every now and then, and it is often the right guitar in that moment.

I'm sorry. I know that wasn't very helpful was it.

I'm super busy for a few days here but I'm thinking I might do another comparison video and include the Martin and a couple of Taylors just to add some variety.  I'll let you know when I do that and then you can tell me what you think.

Speaking of videos... What did YOU think of the D41 compared to the others in the video comparisons

Guitar comparison and camera test

I think the D-41 sounded fine in the videos. I had not commented because I listened through my computer speakers and wanted to set up some externals to give a listen to you and flatlander.
   I really think the strings just need replacing on the one I played.

For me, after years of admiring Martins in pictures, record album jackets, and the hands of musicians, there definitely was a sense of having joined an ownership club when I got my first Martin guitar.  I liked being able to buy one of Martin's affordable lower series models and see and hear I was getting a quality guitar.  There was a period of time when I became more enamoured with the nicer looks and different tone of my Taylor and Larrivee guitars, but there is something "right" about the Martin sound for traditional and old-time music.

Now that I am "Martin-less"I feel strange putting on my Martin shirts. One is a very nice long sleeve black T-shirt with a Martin headstock on the front. It gets a lot of comments when I go somewhere with it on.
    I bought it at the factory and have not seen another like it being worn by anyone. But what I hear most , after nice shirt is , so do you have a Martin? So now I have to mumble something like...well...er..I use to , you know..but I traded it for... a Taylor. :blush:

Can't say I've liked any of the cheaper Martins that I've heard. I love what I hear on records by people like Tony Rice and Neil Young etc. but I'll never be able to afford those and the dread is just too big for me.

Will say this though. I recently bought a replica 000 vintage Martin from Recording King [thanks Larry] and I think it sounds fantastic. This model ROS 627 is new for under a grand and I think it more than meets all my "Martin" needs.
If it sounds good, it is good.

Hey Danny,

Quote from: dependan on September 15, 2010, 09:19:27 PM
   Now that I am "Martin-less"I feel strange putting on my Martin shirts. One is a very nice long sleeve black T-shirt with a Martin headstock on the front. It gets a lot of comments when I go somewhere with it on.
    I bought it at the factory and have not seen another like it being worn by anyone. But what I hear most , after nice shirt is , so do you have a Martin? So now I have to mumble something like...well...er..I use to , you know..but I traded it for... a Taylor. :blush:

I can probably help you with that...
just send the shirt over here.

Just for fun - check out Three Guitars - No Waiting

Quote from: Queequeg on June 03, 2010, 07:33:01 AM
This thread could conceivably outstrip the "Am I a Thread Ender?" thread by the time everyone has weighed in, challenged, rebuked or debunked previous posts.

Looks like it didn't quite have the legs. 

:wave

Billy

Several people have mentioned consistency in regard to Larrivee, and I would concur. Most that I have played in stores, and the two that I own, are consistent in quality, tone, fit and finish.  Martins are more variable--I have played some that sound wonderful, and others of the exact same model that did not thrill me.  However...there have only been two guitars that I played and just had to have, and one of them was a Martin. When you find a "good" one, it sings to you. It is hard to describe, but there is just a presence with my Martin that I just haven't found in the Larrivee models I've played and owned. Are they expensive in comparison to a comparable Larrivee--yes. But are you just paying for a name...not always. At least not in my experience.  I'm glad there are many makers and models out there. I have found a guitar from most of the better companies that I enjoy playing and has a distinct voice from the others. Not better or worse, but different.

10' Martin D-18VS
67' Martin 0-16NY
10' Martin M-36
94' Martin HD-28
12' Martin 00-15M
04' Martin J-15
06' Gibson CJ-165 (Blonde maple)

Martin. All of the half dozen I bought were more out of an inexplicable faith in the name rather than a purely ears/hands comparison with other makes. They were bought for the name only and all of them sold one-by-one because I found something better in another make. Each time I sold one it was because I found something else that appealed more to my ears. It only cost me 6 Martins to learn that. Example: A Larrivee OMV-09E outstripped a Martin OMC-16E hands down in every way so bye-bye Martin. I don't play dreads or jumbos leaving Martin with plenty of heavy competition in the smaller bodied guitars, as far as I'm concerned. Larrivee excels in that market. So does Breedlove and Goodall and those are my current guitars. This discussion could be about any brand, meaning, it still comes down to the individual's perception both real and imagined about them. I can't bash any of them because there will always be great (and real) things about each of them appealing to many people. Do I think Martin has been bested by any other production company's models? I haven't played the lot of them so I couldn't make a general statement one way or the other. But, because I have played a sampling of different makes I don't consider them the premier builder any longer. At best they share a spot at the top. Never thought that would come to pass in my time but it has. Kinda sad but all good things must pass.

More to the OPs question, Q pretty much answers it. Just had nothing to do this Saturday evening so decided to give this thread some knees.

Maybe it comes down to individual models. My current Martin, a 12 fret 000-18GE custom built for My Favorite Guitars is basically thr best guitar I've ever laid hands on in its price range. Superb playability, wonderful contruction, top-notch materials, and a fantastic sound. I'd also put a Larrivee L05 and a Gibson CJ-165 (rosewood) I've owned and foolishly sold somewhere near that level, too. For this reason, I'm less inclined to label myself an exclusive fan of this or that company. I've yet to be bowled over by a Taylor, but I think many of the top companies, including Martin, make models that I would be delighted to own. 

My Martin OM-21 is a very special guitar. It is from 95 or so. I have played many Martins and they really get good with age, the new ones don't do much for me. I  also have a Gibson L-00, it is also a very special guitar. It's also a 95 or so, the younger ones sound dead to me. My LV09 is also a very special guitar, it's only from 2005 but sounds good nevertheless, I can't wait to see what it will sound like in another 10 years. Each has its own voice. No wine-cork sniffing here like someone suggests in a different post...

Quote from: frankhond on January 23, 2011, 03:26:40 PM
My Martin OM-21 is a very special guitar. It is from 95 or so. I have played many Martins and they really get good with age, the new ones don't do much for me. I  also have a Gibson L-00, it is also a very special guitar. It's also a 95 or so, the younger ones sound dead to me. My LV09 is also a very special guitar, it's only from 2005 but sounds good nevertheless, I can't wait to see what it will sound like in another 10 years. Each has its own voice. No wine-cork sniffing here like someone suggests in a different post...

And, in closing, we have: An challenge to a dual? A trap set to ensnare? A statement to insult? A finger on a trigger? A preamble disguised as respectable to launch an attack of evil intent from? An admonishment of wealth? Sniffing corks is an ostentatious act? A single cry of revolt from the proletariat? A banner slogan for the salt of the earth? One of many mantras from the ranks of the truly beautiful people? A claim to be a beautiful person? An attempt to display wisdom?

Guess I'll never know. Such dangling statements cannot give insightfulness or knowledge for their basis because then they wouldn't be dangling. Can't have that. Dangle on...

I guess what I mean is that my intentions are pure. I met my Martin as a virgin and let myself be swept away.