Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitar Stands  (Read 2177 times)
12barBill

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2010, 03:52:20 PM »

I bought a Fret Rest brand guitar stand at Guitar Center over the weekend but was concerned about possible damage to a nitro finish (D28) so I wrapped the foam pads with old athletic socks. I just checked some on-line sources for these stands and they all specifically mention that the foam padding on them is not for guitars with nitro finishes. Will the socks that I covered the padding with prevent damage to the nitro finish? What measures have others taken to prevent nitro finish damage from guitar stands? What stands are nitro finish safe? I know the Hercules brand claim to be safe, but they also have a "may be/may not be" disclaimer. 
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:44:55 PM »

Well, you did the right thing to wrap it.
Martin uses a variety of finishes. Are you sure that your D28 is nitro?
I damaged the finish on one of my Eastman archtops by leaving it on a stand for a few days.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:37:14 PM »

Putting a sock on it is the best thing you can do.I cut sheep skin thingies with the fur on them and sow them on to any rubber parts.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:48:51 PM »

Putting a sock on it is the best thing you can do.I cut sheep skin thingies with the fur on them and sow them on to any rubber parts.
Poor sheep gave their only lives for this.  crying
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:32:48 PM »

Poor sheep gave their only lives for this.  crying

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:06:42 PM »

Just as an option, you can also get an automobile leather steering wheel wrap and wrap the exposed surfaces of the rubber supports. They come in a variety of sizes, colors, and textures.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
12barBill

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »

It's a 1992 D28, so I'm sure it's a nitro lacquer finish.

I've been thinking about completely removing the foam pads and covering the metal with something soft and padded. Any ideas of what would be a good material that would be easy to make stay in place and provide protection? Unclrob, what kind of sheep skin thingy are you talking about?
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 08:53:05 PM »

It's a 1992 D28, so I'm sure it's a nitro lacquer finish.

I've been thinking about completely removing the foam pads and covering the metal with something soft and padded. Any ideas of what would be a good material that would be easy to make stay in place and provide protection? Unclrob, what kind of sheep skin thingy are you talking about?
If it was built in 1992 then the finish should be relatively stable by now and far less susceptible to problems of this nature.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:05:45 AM »

Is a porous sock enough of a separation between the two surfaces?  I can imagine some of the volatiles coming off of the foam right through the sock to the neck.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 01:35:36 AM »

Queequeg yes and also a good stew.

Dale_I be careful leather doesn't breath enough and can cause damage.

12barBill Walmart and I'm sure auto parts store carry it for going over the seat belt.

rockstar_not yes a porous sock does great.The main thing is keeping the guitar finish coming into contact.

Nitro finish no matter what the age can be effected same with the new poly finish the chemical's in the rubber don't seem to like guitar finish's.Even if they say its sergical grade rubber and it shouldn't re-act but I've done a bunch of headstock,back and side finish repair not to trust any of it.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 06:01:43 AM »

Dale_I be careful leather doesn't breath enough and can cause damage.

Thanks for the heads up. I actually don't store my guitars on a stand. They stay in the cases and only spend stand time while practice/playing somewhere.

I used the wraps that had ventilation holes in it and wrapped it inside out, which is more of a suede, that would normally be put towards the steering wheel. But, leather is leather, and breathability is probably not any better on one side than the other. I think I may go find some sheep...

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
TrinityGuitars

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »

Just as an option, you can also get an automobile leather steering wheel wrap and wrap the exposed surfaces of the rubber supports. They come in a variety of sizes, colors, and textures.
  Be carefull with leather! The tannins can also effect the finish. The nitro will likely not be softened but the color can migrate into the finish. I have seen some nasty stains from leather guitar straps. The stain is permanent.

Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com
TrinityGuitars

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 12:47:11 PM »

If it was built in 1992 then the finish should be relatively stable by now and far less susceptible to problems of this nature.
   It has more to do with the age of the palstic than that of the finish. The plasticizers used to keep the palstic soft migrates into the finish. The result is a softening of the finish. In extream cases I have seen the complete removal of the finish. This can happen on old finishes. I have done repairs to new damage on old guitars.
As the plastic ages the amount of plasticizers is diminished and the risk reduced. The new car smell and the film that develops on the inside of a new car window is in part from the plasticizers of the interior gassing off.
  I have found that in general the foam on the stands I use is safe and any rubber is not safe. Stay away from the yellow or black tubing for sure. Look at the ends of the foam covers to see if there is a rubber end cap. If so remove the cap. These are some what hard to see and can damage the finish.

Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com
12barBill

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 01:23:52 PM »

The stand is the HT1010 in chrome finish.

Here:  http://www.prolinestands.com/products/results.cfm?type=catSrch&cat=gts

The pads are a black foam of some composotion. Not exactly rubber, but I guess a foam rubber of some sort.

I like the stand and as I said above, maybe entirely remove the pads and cover the metal with something else just to be on the safe side.

Mr. Holler, what stands with foam do you use that you say are safe? 

12barBill

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 01:27:38 PM »

Here's a better look at the stand and the foam:

http://www.prolinestands.com/products/index.cfm?cat=gts&subcat=&prod_id=HT1010GC&cat_long=Guitar%20Stands
TrinityGuitars

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »

Mr. Holler, what stands with foam do you use that you say are safe? 

I have had good luck with Ultra Stands from Kaman Music. When I get to the studio today I will get the number of it and post a photo for you.  I have displayed new Martins on the stands for years with no issues. ( as long as the rubber end cap is removed )   The newer version of the stand does not have the rubber end cap. I made the suggestion a few years ago and they work out a nice solution to eliminate the cap.

Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 12:45:24 AM »

I've used QuickLok stands for years. What say you?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 10:27:18 AM »

I have one of the Karman Ultra and one of the quick lock also, I have not had an issue with either but I do not leave the gits on them unless I am playing, they go back in the cases.

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »

I love my Hercules Stand.  I love the auto-grip.  Just place you're guitar on and it locks, just lift your guitar off and it opens.  No harm to the finish.  I have the tri-stand and take it on gigs.  Very stable, as safe as a guitar outside it's case can be.  Affordable.  Nothing else to say.

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/guitarstands.html

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 04:20:18 PM »

I have one of the Karman Ultra and one of the quick lock also, I have not had an issue with either but I do not leave the gits on them unless I am playing, they go back in the cases.

Don't have the quick lock but use the Ultra the same way: guitars in the case when not being played but for short breaks use the stand.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: