Baggs M1 Active in a Parlor?

Started by D. Dubya, May 31, 2010, 04:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm thinking about snagging one of these to use in my old Sitka/Mahogany satin Parlor, and whatever else I might want to amplify, but I'm wondering if it's a good match.  Does the small soundhole cause a problem with the big body of the M1?  I'd love to hear from anybody who has experience with this combo.

Happy Memorial Day - DW

Didn't know you already started this thread.  :smile:

I just started one entitled "Soundhole Pickups" (and removed it) as I am considering doing the same (Baggs M1) for my parlor and FIII.

If you look in the "Artist" section here, the "Larrivee Players" and "P-05 & Parlors" show soundhole pickups on Larrivees.

ricky

I think you will find the Baggs is very bulky on a small git, I think the Fishman Rare Earth is a better option. I also love what these pickups putout.
cheers
fongie

I have a Baggs M1 passive permanently installed in my parlor. The initial installation is a bit tricky because the soundhole is so small. You have to remove one of the clamps and then reinstall it after the  pickup is in place. This makes the temporary install somewhat impractical. I don't find it too bulky because the majority of the pickup is sticking down into the guitar.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: LaminateBoy on June 01, 2010, 11:38:03 AM
I have a Baggs M1 passive permanently installed in my parlor. The initial installation is a bit tricky because the soundhole is so small. You have to remove one of the clamps and then reinstall it after the  pickup is in place. This makes the temporary install somewhat impractical. I don't find it too bulky because the majority of the pickup is sticking down into the guitar.

Interesting! At least I'd be willing to give it a try on my parlor. I'm curious, have you compared the sound of the Baggs M1 with K&K pure western mini?

ricky

FWIW I really liked the sound of the M1A in my (little bit bigger than a parlor) CS05 but I REALLY did not like the way it sat in the middle sound hole.  It was also difficult to install.  (I trimmed a bit to make it work easier.)  The other thing was I felt, by its location in the sound hole, it negatively affected the acoustic sound when not plugged in.  (I love the M1A in my Takemine)

Steve ....aka the SMan

SMan,

if the M1A sits in the middle of the soundhole of your CS-05, I imagine it would end up sitting at exactly the same spot for a parlor.

Thanks for sharing this pic. I also took a look at your woodpile - and all I can say is, Wow !!!

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on June 02, 2010, 02:22:19 AM
Interesting! At least I'd be willing to give it a try on my parlor. I'm curious, have you compared the sound of the Baggs M1 with K&K pure western mini?

ricky

No direct comparison, although I do have a K&K mini in my 12-string and I like the sound. I'd like to hear one in a parlor.

The K&K and the M1 are my two favourite pickups because they are easy to install and are quack-free.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: LaminateBoy on June 04, 2010, 01:17:55 PM
The K&K and the M1 are my two favourite pickups because they are easy to install and are quack-free.

I bought the Baggs M1-A today. Tried to install, got one of the clamps in. The other clamp, I had to go back to the store & have the guitar guy install it.
He did. More manual dexterity than me and more experience.

The techy was gracious enough to install & test the M1-A. Then we A/B-ed the M1 versus the Fishman Rare Earth Humbucking Soundhole Active pickup.

I immediately heard the difference. The M1-A is louder and if tapping the soundboard is part of the players percussive technique, then go with the M1-A. To my ears, the M1-A sounded more mid-rangy and louder.

I favored the Fishman Rare Earth HB-A because it sounded thinner, warmer, more "acoustic" tonewise and I could hear the strings more distinctively than the Baggs M1-A. You do lose the percussive sound of the guitar body. The Fishman is also $75 cheaper  :thumb and above all, better sounding to me.

The A/B test was driven by my concern that I wouldn't be able to replace the M1-A if I need to change the batteries. The Fishman RareEarth HB is easier
to put in and out and thus changing batteries is easier.

Now, I'd be curious to compare the Fishman RareEarth HB versus the Fishman RareEarth Single Coil (reputedly warmer than the HB according to one review; but from now on, I'll have to verify the reviews with my own ears).

I hope this has been helpful as the 4 hours I spent today solved and settled my soundhole pickup search.

ricky

Quote from: SMan on June 02, 2010, 08:35:10 AM
FWIW I really liked the sound of the M1A in my (little bit bigger than a parlor) CS05 but I REALLY did not like the way it sat in the middle sound hole.  It was also difficult to install.  (I trimmed a bit to make it work easier.)  The other thing was I felt, by its location in the sound hole, it negatively affected the acoustic sound when not plugged in.  (I love the M1A in my Takemine)

The placement of the M1A in the soundhole looks unusual. My M1 (passive) sits much further forward toward the neck in my Parlor than does the M1A in your guitar. I think the Parlor soundhole may be smaller, too. I wonder if there is some difference in size between the M1 and M1A.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: LaminateBoy on June 07, 2010, 12:52:51 PM
The placement of the M1A in the soundhole looks unusual. My M1 (passive) sits much further forward toward the neck in my Parlor than does the M1A in your guitar. I think the Parlor soundhole may be smaller, too. I wonder if there is some difference in size between the M1 and M1A.
I don't think there is any size difference between the active and the passive.

I have the K & K installed in my Parlour and it sounds fantastic. :nana_guitar
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: LaminateBoy on June 07, 2010, 12:52:51 PM

What is the size of a Larrivee Parlor soundhole?  I would think the M1 and M1A would be the same.

FWIW I am going to have a modified "Parlor" built soon and am leaning towards a Fishman Matrix.

Here's the Quilted Maple and Engelmann I picked out.

Steve ....aka the SMan

I'll take a picture and a measurement sometime this week and post it here.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Well, I took off the strings, and one of the clamps on the M1-A (It was time for a string change anyway).  Here's what happened:

It sounds good, but a little mid-rangy.  It really is body sensitive, and quite loud.  It doesn't sit in the middle of the soundhole either.  All in all, I really like it - but it does suck that I can only put it in or take it out with the strings off.