Oxnard plant closed?

Started by dberch, May 30, 2010, 12:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just read a thread on another forum that state the Larrivee shop in Oxnard has closed and Larrivee was absent from NAMM 2010.  I could not find anything on Google about the Oxnard plant. However, I did search for Larrivee on NAMM 2010 website and got NO HITS in either the floor director or the Exhibitors List.

What's going on ?

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Larrivee did not have a Display at NAMM, but Jean was there doing business.  In fact they used NAMM to release the special 30 run Sitka/Walnut -03 guitars.

Last rumor we heard (and remember rumors usually have a little truth but should not be taken as gospel) is that the Oxnard plant was going to concentrate on electrics, while the BC plant would concentrate on acoustics.

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 30, 2010, 01:16:31 PM
Larrivee did not have a Display at NAMM, but Jean was there doing business.  In fact they used NAMM to release the special 30 run Sitka/Walnut -03 guitars.

Last rumor we heard (and remember rumors usually have a little truth but should not be taken as gospel) is that the Oxnard plant was going to concentrate on electrics, while the BC plant would concentrate on acoustics.
I was just there on Thursday. Hardly closed! New employees too.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 30, 2010, 01:16:31 PM

I heard that rumor from Matthew Larrivee. (but I don't know where he heard it.)

I heard that before the economy gets much worse CF Martin is packing up lock, stock and painting booth and moving to Qingdao.   

Quote from: Queequeg on May 30, 2010, 01:26:26 PM
I heard that rumor from Matthew Larrivee. (but I don't know where he heard it.)
I heard the same from John Jr. and Ricky T.  Not all we hear here are rumors.

Quote from: dependan on May 30, 2010, 02:29:11 PM
  I heard the same from John Jr. and Ricky T.  Not all we hear here are rumors.

So...what else do you guys know? Is everything going back to Canada, or is there another (rumored) location opening south of the northern border?

I'm waiting on my RS-2/P-90 guitar...I guess now I know why it's taking so long...should I ask for my deposit back?

I can't blame them for getting out of California. It has become very unfriendly toward business over the past few years.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 30, 2010, 03:05:49 PM
So...what else do you guys know? Is everything going back to Canada, or is there another (rumored) location opening south of the northern border?

I'm waiting on my RS-2/P-90 guitar...I guess now I know why it's taking so long...should I ask for my deposit back?

I can't blame them for getting out of California. It has become very unfriendly toward business over the past few years.
Q was referring to the acoustics being made in Canada now, and I had heard the same.
               I have not heard anything about recent Oxnard closings.

Quote from: dependan on May 30, 2010, 04:11:03 PM
  Q was referring to the acoustics being made in Canada now, and I had heard the same.
               I have not heard anything about recent Oxnard closings.

I guess I need to read more carefully, or others need to write more clearly - yes, I'd heard all acoustics were going to be made north of the border. But to those of us who play Larrivee electrics, that's a whole lot different than the Oxnard plant "is closing".

So...which is it? Cuz now I've probably posted bad info on the electric forum based on this thread!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 30, 2010, 05:00:34 PM
I guess I need to read more carefully, or others need to write more clearly - yes, I'd heard all acoustics were going to be made north of the border. But to those of us who play Larrivee electrics, that's a whole lot different than the Oxnard plant "is closing".

So...which is it? Cuz now I've probably posted bad info on the electric forum based on this thread!
Read the above posts and it should be clear. As I said above I have not heard any thing recently regarding the plant closing in Oxnard.

Matt personally has a lot of sweat equity invested in making the Larrivee Electric line what it is today.  I can understand why he might want to concentrate on the electric side and let John concentrate on running the acoustic side. (while Jean goes out and finds all the great wood)

I do not generally address rumors, however I will drop a quick note here so that nothing escalates:

In tough economic times, all situations become fluid. You have to plan for as many eventualities as possible. Like every guitar maker out there, we downsized greatly about 12 months ago. In our planning, we talked about many options - Including things like closing Oxnard and opening in a state like Washington. One of the hard decisions we had to make was whether or not to attend Jan 2010's namm show - The show costs us between $75,000 and $100,000 to attend. Many of our dealers indicated that they would not be attending the show, so we opted out and instead focused our efforts on the situation at hand and invest the money more wisely.

Times are improving, while it has not returned to previous levels the improvement is palpable. Oxnard is making Acoustics for the American market, all of the Electrics, and the Mandolins as well. Canada is building -03's and Glossy guitars for the international market and Canada.

Furthermore, in California we recently added five new talented staff, and a new customer service rep. In addition we will be attending the Summer Namm show this year and are already planning for the winter show.

If you have concerns of comments, E-mail us at info@larrivee.com and we'll give you a straight answer.

On behalf of all the neurotic Larrivee lovers on this forum I would like to thank Matthew Larrivee for stepping in and taking the time to set the record straight.
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

Hi Matthew. Thanks for dropping by and clearing up some rumours. Good to hear things are getting better. Now about the rumour that Martin is moving to China? What have you heard? Besides the fact that I just made it up earlier. I don't know about Pennsylvania but, the way I hear it, getting out of California is looking a lot more attractive to a lot more people every day.    

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on May 30, 2010, 05:27:23 PM
I do not generally address rumors, however I will drop a quick note here so that nothing escalates:

In tough economic times, all situations become fluid. You have to plan for as many eventualities as possible. Like every guitar maker out there, we downsized greatly about 12 months ago. In our planning, we talked about many options - Including things like closing Oxnard and opening in a state like Washington. One of the hard decisions we had to make was whether or not to attend Jan 2010's namm show - The show costs us between $75,000 and $100,000 to attend. Many of our dealers indicated that they would not be attending the show, so we opted out and instead focused our efforts on the situation at hand and invest the money more wisely.

Times are improving, while it has not returned to previous levels the improvement is palpable. Oxnard is making Acoustics for the American market, all of the Electrics, and the Mandolins as well. Canada is building -03's and Glossy guitars for the international market and Canada.

Furthermore, in California we recently added five new talented staff, and a new customer service rep. In addition we will be attending the Summer Namm show this year and are already planning for the winter show.

If you have concerns of comments, E-mail us at info@larrivee.com and we'll give you a straight answer.

Thanks for the clearing up.

Quote from: dependan on May 30, 2010, 05:53:47 PM
Thanks for the clearing up.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thus only a slight change from last # of years - SOME Gloss Gits will now also be made in Canada emphasis on some but still made in Oxnard as well.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 30, 2010, 05:44:31 PM
... the way I hear it, getting out of California is looking a lot more attractive to a lot more people every day.    

Perhaps.  Most of the people I know who don't live in California wish they could.
Gary - RS-4 (for sale), Bourgeois VOM

Quote from: gschaps on May 30, 2010, 06:35:43 PM
Perhaps.  Most of the people I know who don't live in California wish they could.

Si.

Great to see the rumors officially squelched, but as somebody who left CA for WA, I was hoping Larrivee would join us up north.    Larrivee has lots of fans in Seattle.

How zee heck did you guys end up in Oxnard of all places?    Not that there's anything wrong with Oxnard.   :smile:
Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob