Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee D-09 vs. Martin D-28  (Read 16042 times)
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 10:19:16 PM »

The 35 series Martins have scalloped braces, IIRC. 

I had a D-35 back in the 70's, #295342 (I don't know why I remember that..).  It was a really nice guitar but went away when I got another dread in '76 which I preferred for its balanced sound.  That would be a '74 LoPrinzi LR-25.  Still have it.  Soooo sweet.

Wings are an irritation, at most.  A cost saving procedure for Martin.

Play it daily for best results.
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 11:11:32 PM »

I'll beat the same drum as most, and say that the D-28 and D-09 are different instruments and you should play a good number of examples of each to see what works for you.

The wing issue isn't just about cost. It also allows the builder to use smaller stock and waste less. That is good for a sustainable future, no?

Ron

AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 12:39:30 AM »

The 35 series Martins have scalloped braces, IIRC.  

Modern D-35s have 1/4" non-scalloped braces vs. 5/16" braces on the D-28.  I don't know if they were scalloped back in the late 60's or not.
The HD-28 and HD-35 have scalloped braces.

The D-35 is still my favorite Martin Dread though.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
J. Hunter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 03:42:00 AM »

The wing issue isn't just about cost. It also allows the builder to use smaller stock and waste less. That is good for a sustainable future, no?

Right.  And the wings were a clever solution in light of the fact that they are just part of an arbitrary and entirely esthetic headstock shape.  Decisions to fuse the entire headstock to the neck (as Taylor sometimes does), or to fuse the neck at points along the shaft or at the heal, are also decisions that could made light of financial and/or environmental considerations.  My point to AZLiberty was just that, to say a neck is a "3-piece" evokes, for me at least, these later, more substantial sorts of neck compromises, and not Martin's new winged headstock.  It's an insignificant consideration when weighing two guitars together - a real 3-piece neck is not.

That being said, I certainly agree that you got a lot more in the way of appointments and materials from a Larrivee for your money.  No question about that.  What possess Martin to continue wrapping their regal D-28 in that nauseating white plastic, I can't even imagine.  My kingdom for some Ivroid.  Wood?  Dare to dream. 

But, and though I do love me a Larrivee, if it's a dreadnought you're after, it just has to a Martin (or a Collings, if you have the capital).   It just does.  Larrivee's sound brilliant in just about every shape and size, but all the things that are great about Larrivee tone make their dread's sound...I don't know...too polite?  They lack the presence of a Martin.   

Larrivee L-03R TF
Martin 00-15
Alhambra 7fc
Am. Stand. Telecaster
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: