How Should I Amplify My D-60?

Started by troyboy09, December 01, 2003, 10:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello to all. I am new at this forum, and I am about to get my brand new Larrivee D-60. I am completely stoked, but I was wondering what you would recommend to amplify the thing. I would like to do a dual-source kind of thing, but I don't want to cut a hole in my guitar. If I could avoid onboard batteries, I would really like that, too. I have been looking at a Raven Labs PMBII, and I think I like it, but am open to other suggestions. Any thoughts? Thanks a million!  

Troy,  I have a D-03r and I put a K&K Pure western pickup into the guitar.  I also am running the Raven PMB-I which works well in conjunction with the K&K.  You wouldn't be disappointed and I too didn't want to cut a hole in my guitar.
Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights

Depending on how much you want to spend, take a look at this http://www.kksound.com/quantumtrinity.html

Shoreline has it for $425 I think.

Zach

Fishman
Love those fine guitars:
Larrivee L-05
Martin D-18 (1947)

Taylor 610

Gibson S.G. '61 reissue
Clapton Strat
Ovation Balladeer
 Martin SPD 16 K2
Gretsch Historic Series Sychromatic Slim-Jim
Martin D-41 special[b

I've tried most of the amplification systems and have now come back to the 'less is more' approach. Dual and triple sourcing is great, but requires more equipment and tweaking to get right, particularly if you're plugging into various systems. These days I go single-sourced with a B-Band AST1470 element / A1 preamp combo. It's natural sounding, consistent mixing board to mixing board, and sets up quickly with a standard mono cable. Give me at least one minute to do a soundcheck and I'm ready to go.
Vaya con Dios,
JonesKY
Ac & El Guitar

QuoteI've tried most of the amplification systems and have now come back to the 'less is more' approach. Dual and triple sourcing is great, but requires more equipment and tweaking to get right, particularly if you're plugging into various systems. These days I go single-sourced with a B-Band AST1470 element / A1 preamp combo. It's natural sounding, consistent mixing board to mixing board, and sets up quickly with a standard mono cable. Give me at least one minute to do a soundcheck and I'm ready to go.
I go with the same...B-band AST and A1 preamp.  I like the UST as well but the AST is a bit more natural.  I use the LR Baggs PADI for added tone shaping and feedback control...if need be.  It is consistantly reliable.

One thing to consider, I am playing with a less bass intensive guitar.  For the D60 I would go with the A! preamp, B-band UST and PADI.  The AST "might" create too much feedback if you play in loud environments.  But I do know folks that use the AST in their dreads just fine.  

Best,
Mike
Mike <><