Breedlove American Series?

Started by AZLiberty, May 16, 2010, 04:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Played several of the new Breedlove American Series guitars today.  Seem to be priced to compete with Martin's 16-GT gutiars.  (all solid woods, gloss top, USA made)  very responsive, good base, 1.75" neck.  Not certain what to think.  Much better sounding guitars than I would have expected.

Not sure what to think about the DR bridge system, but the guitars were very responsive to a light touch, lots of resonance, but handled hard strumming without any problem.

A D20/SM tried really hard to follow me home...

Any insight into these guitars?

I had the hots for a ebony B/S 12er a while back and played lots of Breedloves (both 6 & 12 string), they are nice guitars with a unique look to them, not all have the DR in them, that struck me as kind of a negative, I don't know why but I guess something about tying the top down didn't sit right with me, anyway, I liked a lot of them. But I guess I am too use to the balance and clarity of my Larrivees or something, they were just a unique shape but not what I wanted sound wise, not bad / actually pretty good, but they didn't seem to have the projection and clarity I was looking for.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

I can't wait to play the American Series to see if I want to let one of my other guitars go. I think Breedlove is becoming the American equivalent of Larrivee (which I still consider Canadian because that's where my L-03 came from): High quality in a lower price. People without the big bucks for the Merrills, Manzers, and Olsons still want an instrument that produces a superior sound. Maybe the guitar makers could work with the automotive industry.

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Are the Breelove American Series made in America?  Just wondering.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on May 16, 2010, 10:47:00 AM
Are the Breelove American Series made in America?  Just wondering.

They are "100% made in Bend Oregon" according to Breedlove's website.  The American Series is new for this year, so not a lot of info out there.

Damn, now I just found a 10% off coupon from GC, which makes the Breedlove even more appealing. 

Anyone know how hard it would be to add a K&K or other pickup to one of these?  (not sure how the JLD bridge system interferes)

Mark

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 16, 2010, 02:59:16 PM
They are "100% made in Bend Oregon" according to Breedlove's website.  The American Series is new for this year, so not a lot of info out there.

I even heard that Breedlove had to hire 9 people for production on the guitar. Apparently made side by side with their Master Class guitars which are the high end instruments. Breedlove sounds like they're being very innovative and daring in this poor economy.

I'm getting excited about checking out the line, cedar tops, asymmetric styling, customizable. Now I have to decide which guitar is going to be expendable, if that's possible.

f

At the local GC (Tempe) I played a Rosewood/Spruce cutaway "Concert" a Hog/Spruce Concert and a Hog/Spruce Dread.

All were very responsive to playing with fingers (I never did learn to use a pick).  The RW C size and Hog Dread really spoke to me.  Potential Bonus: Looking at the pictures at Elderly, it looks like they come with an arched case like the -05 and higher Larrivees.

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 16, 2010, 04:00:39 AM
Much better sounding guitars than I would have expected.

You were expecting them to sound bad?   If you're turned off by the JLD and/or headstock, they also have transitioned their "Revival" series to the American Series.    Traditional looks, traditional bracing, and some of them come with built-in electronics.     I'd like to see their new 000 models.
Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob

Quote from: gitnoob on May 16, 2010, 10:22:31 PM
You were expecting them to sound bad?   

No I expect Taylors to sound bad.  (I understand Taylor builds them that way on purpose  :humour: )  I meant that they sounded much better than I would have expected at the price point.  The Breedloves sounded like a Martin with more clarity, or a Larrivee with more base.  Either way they sounded better than the guitars that cost 3 times as much.

Of course, we are talking guitar center, even a Martin HD-28 sounds bad with year old crusty strings on it.

They also sort of reminded me of the Tacomas, before Fender killed them off, but more responsive.

The JDL bridge system is um...  "different".   I don't know much about it, and different is always suspect.  The pinless bridge and somewhat unconventional headstock don't bother me, and I like the abalone rosette.

Acoustic Guitar magazine had an article about Breedlove recently where they described the JLD bridge system - it seems to make sense as a way to allow the top to vibrate more freely, resulting in more sustain and incredible bass apparently.  I'd like to try one someday.

:nice guitar:'s
Scott

RS-2

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 17, 2010, 01:06:21 AM
The JDL bridge system is um...  "different".   I don't know much about it, and different is always suspect.  

Well, perhaps JLD should be veiwed with slight suspicion, after all this is their location:
JLD Guitar Research & Development
PO Box 5764
Roswell, NM

:humour:

Quote from: GA-ME on May 17, 2010, 06:22:08 AM
Well, perhaps JLD should be veiwed with slight suspicion, after all this is their location:
JLD Guitar Research & Development
PO Box 5764
Roswell, NM

:humour:

Spooky!

I've been interested in the Breedlove line since I found out that a friend's cousin worked for them before he went on his own as a tech/luthier. When you read about the JLD system it makes perfect structural sense: it just prevents the bridge from rotating forward due to the string tension (like what was happening to me on a 15 year old Martin D-18). This allows the top to be thinned for a little more response. And, of course, that Wester Red Cedar... YUM!

f

I had a Breedlove Focus that I bought when I was in high school (boy did that take forever to save) and I knew everything about tone ;) anyways it had the bridge system in it and i remember playing multiple guitars with cedar tops and I always came back to the Breedlove.  It always felt more responsive to me.  Then I went and traded for an SD-50 (which is on sale in the classifieds btw) and even though I love that guitar, I still miss the tone of that Focus... of course it could just be me missing the first REAL guitar I ever bought with the sweat of my brow....

Now I'm starting to wonder what that Breedlove Dread would look like without the pickguard. (Concert size versions are clean)

The clean look of Larrivees has spoiled me.

I have had 11 Breedlove's of different origin and price points over the years. I have followed this company for a while. Some things to consider...
'
* No you can't use a K&K or and SBT type p/u.  Thats why they use the UST/Mic Bags system on all of their guitars with the bridge doc system

* Unless they are a Revival or traditional series guitar, the will have the bridge truss.

* Breedlove is notorious for bringing in the mid range priced guitars and stamping made in the USA.  They are actually built in Korea and finished in the USA which allows that stamp to be used.  With this specific series I truly do not know, but keep that in mind.  I  would think this to be a similar case.  Case in point the Pro Series that came out a couple of years ago were assembled in Korea and finished in the USA.  You can call and ask them... They will tell you. 

* Breedlove make some nicely finished pieces and I have had some good sounding and playing ones... IMHO they are much more heavily built than the larrrivee with a much thicker laquer as well.  I can tell you in my personal experience that the Larrivee's resonate better and more and incorporate a dovetail neck joint.  All Breeds have bolt on which is fine, but it also brings a different sound.  Just my opinion...

* Breedloves lower end guitars are not made the same way as the Masterclass series.  MC and Revival are hand made where the rest are of mass mfg methods with some hand assembly.  Not bad, but just saying..

* The Breedlove cases are made in Asia... They are not a TKL or Ameratage like we are accustomed to.

Please understand this is NOT to piss anyone off or start something negative.  I think Kim Breedlove has some really cool designs and gorgeous guitars.  I'm sure these new models are fine and fill a niche, but I know that most of the mid to lower end stuff is not made on the bench right beside the Master class. 

These statements are my own findings and opinions... Nothing more.

I would like to know how this new series stand up to the Roots series they had out for a while.  Those were very nice for the $.

A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

Quote from: Bltprf502 on May 19, 2010, 06:53:26 AM

* Breedlove is notorious for bringing in the mid range priced guitars and stamping made in the USA. 

* Breedlove make some nicely finished pieces and I have had some good sounding and playing ones... IMHO they are much more heavily built than the larrrivee with a much thicker laquer as well.  I can tell you in my personal experience that the Larrivee's resonate better and more and incorporate a dovetail neck joint.  All Breeds have bolt on which is fine, but it also brings a different sound.  Just my opinion...

The new American Series are advertised as "100% Made in Bend Oregon" .  Which is somewhat suspicious.  The rules for labeling Made in USA are actually fairly strict.  If breedlove was manufacturing in Asia and Finishing here but claiming "made in USA" they were definitely in violation of the law.
On the other hand, Breedlove did hire 11 people at the Oregon plant when they started up  the new series, which is a good sign though.

The Breeds I played last weekend definitely had more resonance than my Larrivee OM-03R, but not as much as my Forum - III. 

Things to think about.

That may be the case this time....  I know for a fact that when the Pro Series came out it was stamped made in the USA , boxes were built in the Korea shop and finished off in Oregon. If you call Breedlove they will tell you that for sure.  I had many discussions with them as to "why?". There are several folks here on this forum including myself that bought those Pro Series (GA with cedar top and EIR B/S with p/u).  They were a cool guitar, but 3-6 months after the fact of owners having them this surfaced.  It doesn't matter where it is made to me, but I think they should reveal all the info up front.  If those are indeed made in the USA, thats awesome!

As far as rosonance goes... I too had a an OM-03R Special edition form the 12th Fret in Canada.  While it was one of the best OM's I have had, the body depth did yeild much to the volume dept.  I am sure that Forum guitar probably does rig out better with more over tones.  Enjoy those guys... Wish I had one of the new Hogtop forum guitars, but it wasn't in the cards.

I do prefer the ones made in N. America though... :cop:
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

Yeah fine but do they really breed ... love, like my LarrivĂ©es?  :winkin:

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 20, 2010, 07:36:49 AM
Yeah fine but do they really breed ... love, like my LarrivĂ©es?  :winkin:

:roll :roll :roll :humour: