Dunlop Strings

Started by alvinlam, May 11, 2010, 11:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I tried to do a search if any discussion has occurred regarding dunlop strings but didn't find any (either i've typed wrongly or what).  Has anyone actually tried using them on their larrivees?  

BTW, I just changed the cleartone strings that came with the L-03W that I got from Jim Holler recently, the D'addario EJ-16 made it sound so much clearer and sweeter. The cleartone was dead as far as my ears is concerned, and I wondered why L factory stringed them in the first place.  
Yamaha LL-16 12 strings
Yamaha LL-TA
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT
Mcilroy A25

"He who thinks he has all the answers probably hasn't heard all the questions."

Quote from: alvinlam on May 11, 2010, 11:21:21 PM
I tried to do a search if any discussion has occurred regarding dunlop strings but didn't find any (either i've typed wrongly or what).  Has anyone actually tried using them on their larrivees?  

BTW, I just changed the cleartone strings that came with the L-03W that I got from Jim Holler recently, the D'addario EJ-16 made it sound so much clearer and sweeter. The cleartone was dead as far as my ears is concerned, and I wondered why L factory stringed them in the first place.  
I played new cleartones that sounded the same way to me... :yak:

And Larrivee hasn't used them for over a year
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

I have seen good reviews on dunlop electric strings but haven't seen a thing on there acoustic strings.
My guess is that Larrivee used Cleartone Strings because they had the best coating. Just today I was a guitar store and noticed that the Martins guitar strings had all oxidised and turned funky. The Taylors with there coated elixir strings looked much fresher and more appealing. When D'addario improved there coating Larrivee went back to the much better sounding D'addario EXP's. At least that's my speculation  :blush:
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

For what its worth, I (and others) have had exactly the opposite experience with Cleartones and EXP's etc. See http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=32277.0#lastPost
No intel on Dunlops though. Yet....
Cheers
Larrivee D-03 HH
1991 Marc Beneteau Dread
'70s Joodee YW40M
Early 70's El Degas MT10

I am using Dulops PB 12-54 light and i really like them, they sound well and there the same price as the D'addarios and better quality. sorry guys but i really dont like d'Addarios strings.

Pierre

:guitar
FIII LS 03 MH #74      Charlotte
LS 09 FM                    Ari
Moisan OM                  Unique

Quote from: alvinlam on May 11, 2010, 11:21:21 PM

I purchased a set of Dunlop medium gauge for my SD awhile ago.  I plan on installing them hopefully this weekend.  Like yourself, I got curious after I bought them and went online digging around for discussions about them.  Your post is the first I have seen so far.
                           Let you know how it goes-

Quote from: Flake on May 15, 2010, 01:07:25 PM
I purchased a set of Dunlop medium gauge for my SD awhile ago.  I plan on installing them hopefully this weekend.  Like yourself, I got curious after I bought them and went online digging around for discussions about them.  Your post is the first I have seen so far.
                           Let you know how it goes-

Thanks. Looking forward to your view
Yamaha LL-16 12 strings
Yamaha LL-TA
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT
Mcilroy A25

"He who thinks he has all the answers probably hasn't heard all the questions."

Quote from: alvinlam on May 20, 2010, 08:53:35 AM
Thanks. Looking forward to your view
Alvinlam-
      I finally put the medium gauge Dunlop Phosphor bronze set on this AM.  They sound warmer and sweeter than the D'Addarios in the same gauge to me.  The tension seems a hair lighter.  The bass about the same-but the D'Addarios sound louder and clearer.  The intonation is as good as the D'Addarios and where I buy strings they are a little cheaper.  Still-I like either one and it is kind of a hard choice.  If I were to keep my SD tuned down a half step permanently or keep it in DADGAD I might stay with the D'Addarios.   :bgrin:
                                                                             Let me know how they sound on yours-