LR Baggs MI Active Soundhole

Started by fongie, May 06, 2010, 06:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: SMan on May 13, 2010, 07:07:33 PM
The step drills I use were fairly inexpensive.  I paid $20 for the set.  Can't remember who made them but they are widely available. (At least in the US)  I would again suggest finding a scrap piece of hardwood to practice on.   

Good luck fongie!
Thanks mate

SMan, received my Baggs this morning, stoked. I will install as soon as I buy the drill tip. Do I buy more than 1 tip or just the 1?
cheers
fongie

Quote from: fongie on May 16, 2010, 07:27:34 PM
SMan, received my Baggs this morning, stoked. I will install as soon as I buy the drill tip. Do I buy more than 1 tip or just the 1?
cheers
fongie

I have only seen them sold in sets of 3.  I bought my last ones from Harbor Freight tools.  Not sure about where your at.    http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-91616.html

(I hear the water circles different there also)  :humour:

Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: SMan on May 16, 2010, 08:04:27 PM
I have only seen them sold in sets of 3.  I bought my last ones from Harbor Freight tools.  Not sure about where your at.    http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-91616.html

(I hear the water circles different there also)  :humour:

Hey SMan, thanks mate. Oh yeah, I'm from 'DownUnder' Aust. Yeah mate the water is upside down  :roll and so is the drilling.... :bgrin:
cheers mate
fongie

Okay I've installed the LR Baggs, hooked it up to the amp, sounds fantastic but noticed it is very, very sensitive. A slight rub from my jumper sleeve or just rubbing the guitar top with my hands and the sound just travels through. I noticed the pickup is left unpadded when you install onto the git, and the instructions don't recommend you putting  cork pads, because the M1 reads the top resonances that provide dept and warmth, using cork pads dampens this sensitivity and effects the pickups responsiveness.
Anyone has this problem and how do you deal with the sensitivity?
cheers
fongie

Well I haven't had that issue on either guitar I have installed the M1A on.  You may try turning the volume down on the pickup and a bit higher on your amp.  Because it is magnetic I am not sure why rubbing the top is causing sound unless it is somehow transferring through the strings.  Have you tried adjusting the pole pieces?
Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: SMan on May 18, 2010, 08:42:34 AM
Well I haven't had that issue on either guitar I have installed the M1A on.  You may try turning the volume down on the pickup and a bit higher on your amp.  Because it is magnetic I am not sure why rubbing the top is causing sound unless it is somehow transferring through the strings.  Have you tried adjusting the pole pieces?
Hi SMan, just PM'ed the previous owner to find out why it's so sensitive, hope he replies. I don't think it's anything to do with the poles, because it is resonating from the body. Very annoying. Yes, I did turn down the volume on the pickup and it seems to be good, but this still shouldn't happen, should it? It happens when the pickup volume is turn to Med and High. I wondered if I mounted it right onto the git? Well, there are no other way to mount, only one way. I haven't fixed the wiring inside the guitar yet, but I can't see that being the cause either.
Just rubbing the clear pickguard lightly with my fingers on my git or anywhere really or where my arm rest on the git, really resonates the sound to the amp. My Fishman Rare Earth and my EMG don't do that. I'm baffled! Any idea?
cheers
fongie

Quote from: fongie on May 18, 2010, 06:30:03 PM
Hi SMan, just PM'ed the previous owner to find out why it's so sensitive, hope he replies. I don't think it's anything to do with the poles, because it is resonating from the body. Very annoying. Yes, I did turn down the volume on the pickup and it seems to be good, but this still shouldn't happen, should it? It happens when the pickup volume is turn to Med and High. I wondered if I mounted it right onto the git? Well, there are no other way to mount, only one way. I haven't fixed the wiring inside the guitar yet, but I can't see that being the cause either.
Just rubbing the clear pickguard lightly with my fingers on my git or anywhere really or where my arm rest on the git, really resonates the sound to the amp. My Fishman Rare Earth and my EMG don't do that. I'm baffled! Any idea?
cheers
fongie
The M1 does pick up top vibrations, and raising the pole pieces does increase the string vs body signal in the output -- give it a try to see if you can find a balance that works for you.
Andrew J.
Larrivee L-07 / DR sunbeams 13s

Quote from: jandrew on May 18, 2010, 07:48:16 PM
The M1 does pick up top vibrations, and raising the pole pieces does increase the string vs body signal in the output -- give it a try to see if you can find a balance that works for you.
Thanks jandrew, I'm sure no harm trying. I was hoping a better solution to the problem before taking a chance on adjusting something I have no idea what so ever.
cheers
fongie

In case you don't have the manual.................

http://www.lrbaggs.com/Manuals/m1-active_manual.pdf
Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: SMan on May 18, 2010, 10:32:59 PM
In case you don't have the manual.................

http://www.lrbaggs.com/Manuals/m1-active_manual.pdf
Thanks SMan, I have the manual. I've just read it again and it sounds like it could be the poles
cheers mate
fongie

Fongie,

How's your M1 now? Have you resolved the sensitive to the touch (body) issue?

I wonder why some folks here went from soundhole pickups and switched to K&K pwm?

I was thinking of the K&K but thought the Baggs M1 or other soundhole p/u is the better alternative?

How does the Baggs compare to your Rare Earth and EMG in terms of sound quality?

Thanks!

ricky

Hello Ric, actually to tell you the truth, I've been very lazy lately. Haven't done any adjustment yet, boy I am hopeless. Anyway, regarding the compatibility of the Baggs to the Fishman and the EMG, it is hard to say at this stage till I have it set up and sounding good. So far the Fishman is one beautiful sounding pickup, by far the better between the EMG. More grunt, clear and crisp. The EMG, I find sounds great for Jazz. The Baggs also sounds great, I'll get a better review once it is set up properly. But if you want my opinion, I like the Fishman very much. I am currently buying a Sunrise as well, I have heard so much good reviews on this pickup, I may as well try it out too.
Yes, I have heard many good reviews on the K&K. Actually I was going to purchase one myself, but opted for the soundholes, much easier to install. And because I'm buying and selling all the time, a soundhole pickup is the way to go for me. I have no regrets so far, these pickups have not disappointed me. I will give a better review once I have the Baggs setup.
cheers
fongie

Thanks so much Fongie. We'll wait for your review once you get around to properly setting up your Baggs M1-A. Of the ones available in the market, this seems to be one of the best.

As for soundhole pickups as opposed to K&K, I regret installing one in my short-lived OM-40, which I ended up trading with my P-03 Walnut.

So, yeah... I agree that soundhole p/u is the way to go.

ricky

I bought the Baggs M1-A today. Tried to install, got one of the clamps in. The other clamp, I had to go back to the store & have the guitar guy install it.
He did. More manual dexterity than me and more experience.

The techy was gracious enough to install & test the M1-A. Then we A/B-ed the M1 versus the Fishman Rare Earth Humbucking Soundhole Active pickup.

I immediately heard the difference. The M1-A is louder and if tapping the soundboard is part of the players percussive technique, then go with the M1-A. To my ears, the M1-A sounded more mid-rangy and louder.

I favored the Fishman Rare Earth HB-A because it sounded thinner, warmer, more "acoustic" tonewise and I could hear the strings more distinctively than the Baggs M1-A. You do lose the percussive sound of the guitar body. The Fishman is also $75 cheaper  :thumb  and above all, better sounding to me.

The A/B test was driven by my concern that I wouldn't be able to replace the M1-A if I need to change the batteries. The Fishman RareEarth HB is easier
to put in and out and thus changing batteries is easier.

Now, I'd be curious to compare the Fishman RareEarth HB versus the Fishman RareEarth Single Coil (reputedly warmer than the HB according to one review; but from now on, I'll have to verify the reviews with my own ears).

I hope this has been helpful as the 4 hours I spent today solved and settled my soundhole pickup search.

ricky

Great to hear Ric and congrats. I haven't had time yet to set my Bagg's to how I want it, I have been so busy selling my P-09FM and my LV-03eSP and sending them off to their new owners. Yes, always best to go with your own ears and find the one you like. As mentioned, the Fishman Rare Earth so far agree's to my ears, I will wait for the Sunrise and see how I like the sound too. I agree with the battery change, I feel sorry for you guys installing on a parlor  :bgrin: Bad enough loosening the strings and removing the pickup, but when you have already trouble installing onto a parlor that is not good.
cheers
fongie