Anyone have any experience with a Dean Markley ProMag PLus XM soundhole pickup?

Started by canoe65, June 04, 2010, 06:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a Larrivée L-03, bought new in 2006, and I've never played it amplified before.  I've been playing in a Church folk choir since 2007 and I've been receiving comments that some (many ?) of the people can't hear my playing along with the voices of the choir and other instruments.  Actually, in my opinion and based on my playing ability, that just might be a good thing!!

However ... I finally took the plunge and bought a Dean Markley ProMag Plus XM model soundhole pickup.  I definitely didn't want to drill any holes and I didn't want 15 feet of instrument cable hanging out of the soundhole.  The XM model fits tightly into my L-03 soundhole, but the 'grips' are cushioned and leave no marks on the edge of the soundhole.  The XM has a short (about 18 inches) pre-wired cable that ends in a 1/4" jack housing that attaches to the end strap button. So far, this all makes me happy.

Putting everything bass-ackwards, now that I've gone and bought the thing, does any Forum member have anything good to say about a Dean Markley ProMag Plus XM pickup used in a Larrivée?    :?
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

I'm curious about this too, but how does it sound to you? Do you like what you're hearing? ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on June 05, 2010, 05:20:28 PM
I'm curious about this too, but how does it sound to you? Do you like what you're hearing? ricky

Ricky,

The verdict is still out on what I am hearing. I first played with the Dean Markley pickup plugged in yesterday at our Folk Choir Mass.

The speaker/amplifier that I am using at the church is facing away from me and the volume is turned down a bit, so as not to drown out the choir.  Also there is another guitar playing through the amp at the same time.

I'm going to borrow a neighbour's amp and test the soundhole pickup in a 'controlled' environment (i.e., my living room).  After that I'll have a better idea of the sound ... how closely it amplifies the acoustic sound of my Larrivée.  The only issue here is that the borrowed amp is not an 'acoustic guitar' amp ... so there might be a difference ... but I'm not playing through an 'acoustic guitar' amp at the church anyway.

I'll let you know soon how this sound test works.
:beer

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

It's fun experimenting with soundhole p/u. The Dean Markley's come in "humbucking" and "single coil". Pretty reasonably priced too.

I don't know about the wire hanging in front of the soundhole though. You got your wire threaded through the strapjack?

Looking forward to your sound test results.

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on June 07, 2010, 06:42:47 PM
I don't know about the wire hanging in front of the soundhole though. You got your wire threaded through the strapjack?
Looking forward to your sound test results.
ricky

No. The wire doesn't thread through the strapjack.  The short wire has a jack on the end that has a leather attachment that fits on the end strap pin.
Well anyway, I have been busy up here in Toronto, dealing with G20 Summit preparations and I haven't had a chance to really 'road test' the soundhole pickup.  But soon, I hope.  And then I get back to you. :thumbsup

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

I've used the Dean Markley Pro-mag soundhole pickup for years.    To be honest it's not my favorite.  I have a K & K pure western mini in my 000-50;  to me that is the best acoustic amplification method.   But it isn't removable and requires a fair bit of finesse to install.
I also use the LR Baggs M1 passive soundhole pickup with my OM-03R and L-10;  easily switched from one to the other as needed.    I had not used the Dean Markley for awhile but recently started using it with my LS-03 forum III.    I found that it was too wide to fit the soundhole of the LS-03 so, figuring I had nothing to lose, took a miter saw and sandpaper to it and cut a little bit off each end.  Now it fits snugly in the soundhole of the LS-03 and still works just fine.   I think the signal is rather weak without a pre-amp so I use it with the LR Baggs DI pre-amp.
It does not give the natural sound that the K & K does; nor does it do as good a job as the M1 but it does an adequate job of providing amplification.    Don't expect it to sound just like your unplugged acoustic.  It isn't designed to do that.