String Problems on my Larrivee

Started by cantwellm, May 05, 2010, 10:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanks greysonj
I'll try the ernie ball earthwoods as I move through my list of recommendations. What tonewoods are used for your sd-50?  By the way, you mentioned shipping strings has been expensive for you: I ordered a variety of strings from Strings and Beyond and they have free shipping in US and Canada if you spend more than $35. I havent recieved my order yet but that seems to be a pretty good deal....
:donut :donut :thumbsup
Larrivee D-03 HH
1991 Marc Beneteau Dread
'70s Joodee YW40M
Early 70's El Degas MT10

If you don't like the jangley sound, don't do 80/20's.  The Cleartone's are a muddier sound.  The DR's are bright and their gauge system is different than most.  If you want something close to the Cleartone's, the Curt Mangan's are very good.  I use them on 2 guitars.  I like the 12-54 which is a med-light set.  Their 13-56 are pretty heavy and I use those on a Carpathian topped SCGC which needs that.  The Newtone's are also similar and not twangy.  Just don't cut then ends until you wind them.  They are hand wound and will unravel if you don't put them on correctly.  John Pearse are pretty good, but don't last long.  3 days with those and you will get close to muddy... Same with the EB Earthwoods.  They are short timers too.  The Mangan's are wound tight and last the longest for me of any of the uncoated strings.  best bet is to go to Strings and Beyond and order what you want.  Any thing over $35 ships free with no sales tax.  www.stringsandbeyond.com... They carry all of the aforementioned brands others any myself have reccomended.  Best of luck!
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

:donut2 :coffee
Thanks Bltprf502, nice summary. Just to be clear - the Curt Mangan's you are recommending are the PB's, correct?

I await a shipment from stringsandbeyond which I expect to arrive Tuesday. The batch contains:

• 1. Cleartone EMP, Medium 13-56
    2. John Pearse, 610LM Silk Phos Bronze, Light/Medium  
    3. Martin FX130, Flexible Core, Silk and Phosphor
    4. Dean Markley Helix HD 80/20, Eliptical Wound, 13-56
    5. Martin MEC, Clapton's Choice Phos Bronze, Medium

And as indicated earlier in this thread I've already tried:
  • 1. DR Sunbeam RCA-12 Medium Strings
    2. Newtone Master Class mediums custom
    3. Martin SP 80/20s
    4. D'Addario EXP17 (mediums)
    5. D'Addario EJ17 (medium PB)
    6. Cleartone lights

Thus far, apart from my hazy memory of the original Cleartone lights, the Newtones come the closest at delivering sonic empathy for me. But I'll definitely include the Curt Mangan's (12-54) on my next order - which is likely to be very soon...
Larrivee D-03 HH
1991 Marc Beneteau Dread
'70s Joodee YW40M
Early 70's El Degas MT10

Yes Phos Brnz for your sound.  I use the CM 80/20's in 12-54 on my Bourgeois Slope D maple/bearclaw spruce.  I really also like the Martin FX flex core's... They make my Martin D-16GT sound like a really expensive guitar.  GREAT strings for sure!  Also, if you like the med 13-56, the Martin SP Phos Brnz are less jangly than the D add EJ17's and they are easy to get at the guy down the street or even GC.  I think Martin makes a good string.  Curt is a great guy to deal with... He was the artist relations guy for Ernie Ball for a long time.  HE has some cool stories to tell.  He makes a really good, long lasting uncoated string for sure.  Let me know your findings.

Also, anything silk you will lose some volume.. I would not pick then for a dread.  They are not flat picking strings or at least for me.  The Martin Flex Core are the std FX PB light or they even make med's.  Strings and Beyond do take returns if you change your mind..

FWIW, when I had a DV-03R I used Mangan 12-54 PB's and they were perfect for that guitar....for me  :winkin:
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

Quote from: cantwellm on May 23, 2010, 07:26:19 PM
Thanks greysonj
I'll try the ernie ball earthwoods as I move through my list of recommendations. What tonewoods are used for your sd-50?  By the way, you mentioned shipping strings has been expensive for you: I ordered a variety of strings from Strings and Beyond and they have free shipping in US and Canada if you spend more than $35. I havent recieved my order yet but that seems to be a pretty good deal....
:donut :donut :thumbsup

thanks for the info!  i will definitely hit them up this week.  the sd-50's are sitka and mahogany.  i just received my 95 j-09 though (i traded) and i cant seem to put it down!   :nana_guitar

String Update #3. It took nearly three weeks to get my package of stings from Strings and Beyond (I'm in Canada) and so took off the Newtone Master Class mediums which thus far have been the nicest strings to date (not harsh, fine bass, three weeks of playing little change). I have now put on the John Pearse PB/silk wound light/mediums. They were pleasant right out the box but as Bltprf502 noted, there was a definite loss of volume. Which aint a bad thing if you are playing in the living room with the young 'uns tucked asleep but not really a dread sort of string methinks. Also, the high E string broke even before it was tuned up. I assume that was an anomaly :angry:. Anyway I subed-in an old DR Sunbeam E and played a bit.
I'll be removing them tomorrow so I can slap on Dean Markley's medium Helix HD. Then medium Clapton's Choice by Martin, then Cleartone mediums.... :smile:
Larrivee D-03 HH
1991 Marc Beneteau Dread
'70s Joodee YW40M
Early 70's El Degas MT10

Quote from: Bltprf502 on May 24, 2010, 08:48:51 AM
Yes Phos Brnz for your sound.  I use the CM 80/20's in 12-54 on my Bourgeois Slope D maple/bearclaw spruce.  I really also like the Martin FX flex core's... They make my Martin D-16GT sound like a really expensive guitar.  GREAT strings for sure!  Also, if you like the med 13-56, the Martin SP Phos Brnz are less jangly than the D add EJ17's and they are easy to get at the guy down the street or even GC.  I think Martin makes a good string.  Curt is a great guy to deal with... He was the artist relations guy for Ernie Ball for a long time.  HE has some cool stories to tell.  He makes a really good, long lasting uncoated string for sure.  Let me know your findings.

Also, anything silk you will lose some volume.. I would not pick then for a dread.  They are not flat picking strings or at least for me.  The Martin Flex Core are the std FX PB light or they even make med's.  Strings and Beyond do take returns if you change your mind..

FWIW, when I had a DV-03R I used Mangan 12-54 PB's and they were perfect for that guitar....for me  :winkin:

Bltprf502,

I use the same combo (CM 80/20 12-54s) on all my guitars (L-03, H&D 00-sp and Collings OM2Hc) and find exactly what you do: the last forever. For a change of pace I'll go to the lts (11-52s) with no loss of power.

Cantwellm,

If you want a REALLY GREAT STRING try the Curt Mangans!

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Thanks for the intel ffinke/Bltprf502,
I placed my string orders before the accolades to buy Curt mangan's sunk in: but I definitely will order them in the next few weeks once I move through th next 4 sets I have lined-up... :beer
Larrivee D-03 HH
1991 Marc Beneteau Dread
'70s Joodee YW40M
Early 70's El Degas MT10

Make sure you leave each set on long enough for them to break in. DAddarios have always taken a good 6 to 8 hrs play time to settle in to the tone that remains for another 3 or 4 weeks for me, a little too metalic sounding when first strung up. Different brands and materials differ in break in time.  YMMV
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

String update #4. Not really an update - more of a note for anyone who hasn't been bored to tears with my hedonistic newbie string discoveries. Sorry to have been remiss with my running commentaries of string types of late but I've had the flu which blocked my sinus's and thus messed with my hearing. It's been a bad week for guitar playing - though lack of hearing is surprising good for a marriage  :smile:
Off for a vacation for next two weeks in the Mediterranean but I'll re-animate thread on my return.
Mmmmm, come to think of it, maybe they got some cool strings over there I could bring back....
Cheers
:donut :donut :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee :coffee
Larrivee D-03 HH
1991 Marc Beneteau Dread
'70s Joodee YW40M
Early 70's El Degas MT10

Quote from: cantwellm on May 05, 2010, 10:23:37 PM
Hi folks :donut :donut
I have string problems. I got my first Larrivee 6 weeks ago (D03-HH) because i fell in love with the sound. It has called to me every day since then to play, which I have done with great affection. Until recently. Since the strings on her were light gauge (Cleartones I assume - due to little sticker stating such on the pickguard) I figured I could get more of what I loved out of her if I put mediums on. So I took her to local Luthier who slapped on a set of D'Addario EXP17 (mediums) and made the appropriate adjustments. When I got home to play her she sounded all "twangy" or "metalic" - which I attributed to that typical new string sound. But its been a week now and it just doesnt sound special to me anymore. So I've just ripped them off in disgust and put a set of D'Addario EJ17 (medium PB) which I had kicking around to see if it resolved the problem. So far the git still has the new string sound (though maybe not as bad) but I'll have to wait a couple of days of playing to see how things setttle. So what's the problem? Coated strings? (Are Cleartones coated?) Going from Light to Medium? D'Addario vs Cleartones? Help! I want my sweet sweet sound back! A gross of donuts for anyone who can help me!! :crying:

EXP's have good bright tone but they make a bunch of noise when I change chord positions. I totally understand you not liking them.

I use Elixir 80/20 nanoweb lights. They have decent volume and are very comfortable to play without a lot of unwanted noise.... but they do seem to lack that new string sound when you first put them on. However, I play about 2 hours a day and they last a month before I feel the need to replace them.   

This happened to me once years ago with one guitar and I never found that sound again. But what I do now is record a few passages with any new guitar I get before changing strings. Then I change, record and compare, as our minds when not happy make the older sound better and better and better untill your drunk on the floor  :crying: If the strings sound ok and arent what tone I had before I just make a note of the strings and say sod it and get playing. Eventually with enough changes and notes I find what I want and then often when I go back and compare recordings the new ones I've become happy (ish) with often sound better than the god tone I believe I first had. Its defo frustrating though when you go from your ideal sound to something different. Happy hunting  :beer

String Update #5: I've had the Dean Markley's helix HD's on for about a month and they are a very nice surprise. Warm without being muddy. I think they are as good as or even better than the Newtone Master Class mediums. But yesterday I put on the Cleartone mediums. They win right out of the box. Nice bass, warm, clear seperation and something else I hadnt noticed before with the other strings: they resonate as a whole.  Too bad they are also the most expensive strings used. So summing up, I'd say for my D03 HH, the best strings, in order, have been:

Best Sounding
1. Cleartone EMP, Medium 13-56 (lights were great too) $16.99/set

Very Good
1. Dean Markley Helix HD 80/20, Eliptical Wound, 13-56 $6.95/set
2. Newtone Master Class mediums custom $12.95/set
3. DR Sunbeam RCA-12 Medium Strings $6.79/set

Acceptable
1. John Pearse, 610LM Silk Phos Bronze, Light/Medium  $8.99/set

Never again
1. Martin SP 80/20s $5.89/set
2. D'Addario EXP17 (mediums) $10.49/set
3. D'Addario EJ17 (medium PB) $5.89set

More strings to come!! :guitar
Larrivee D-03 HH
1991 Marc Beneteau Dread
'70s Joodee YW40M
Early 70's El Degas MT10

Lots of folks on the forum love to hate cleartones.  I like them but not as much as you do. It's been pointed out on another thread that Martin will soon offer strings with a cleartone coating. I look forward to trying them. I currently have a set of GHS Laurence Juber strings on my Larrivee and so far I am very pleased with the sound and feel of them. 
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

Thanks mas music,
Ya - I noticed a lot of people on this forum have a hate-on for Cleartones. Baffles me. Especially after having tried all the string types recommended by members. It's also a bit funny that everyone is so enthralled by everything the Larrivee's do except for their choice of strings on new guitars. I understand shipped strings has/will change but my recently bought git came with Cleartones. Surely Larrivee wouldnt go to all the trouble of producing beautiful guitars only to slap on some cheap strings. My brain doesnt agree. And neither do my ears.
Curious to hear back from other members on this one... :donut2 :donut2 :coffee :coffee

PS: I just found a quote from Tommy Emmanuel: "I tried coated strings like everyone else; I didnt like them. Cleartones are so bright and responsive, I forgot they were coated. Bend them in good health."
PPS: I think Cleartones are made by the Everly Brothers - which for some reason just seems so cool to me. .
Larrivee D-03 HH
1991 Marc Beneteau Dread
'70s Joodee YW40M
Early 70's El Degas MT10

Has anyone tried the D'Addario phos-bronze Flat Tops (EFT's?). Definitely warmer and less metallic sounding than their standard 80/20 EJ series.  It's also a polished string so finger noise is reduced considerably.  I have the EFT16 lights on my OM-60 now and will be putting on the EFT17 mediums shortly (I have a little string buzz with the lights when pushed).  I'm now also anxious to try the Cleartone's as I too seek that warmer, less bright sound, even at the sacrifice of some volume.

Quote from: z-clay on June 15, 2010, 10:45:43 PM
EXP's have good bright tone but they make a bunch of noise when I change chord positions. I totally understand you not liking them.

I use Elixir 80/20 nanoweb lights. They have decent volume and are very comfortable to play without a lot of unwanted noise.... but they do seem to lack that new string sound when you first put them on. However, I play about 2 hours a day and they last a month before I feel the need to replace them.   

I also like the Elixir 80/20 nanoweb. They're excellent if you want less finger noise (would be ideal to use for recording) and you're picking hand just glides over the strings.
Larrivée D-05

I meant to say that the D'Addario phos-bronze Flat Tops (EFT's?) are "definitely warmer and less metallic sounding than their *round-wound phos-bronze* EJ series". 

Howdy folks,
String Update #6: I was away for a while but now am back and have received my latest shipment of string types. Latest batch contains:

1. Curt Mangan Fusion Matched 80/20 Bronze Medium/Light 12-54 ($6.95)
  2. Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20 Bronze Medium/Light 12-54 ($4.99)
  3. GHS Cryogenic Laurence Juber Signature Bronze Medium ($6.79)
  4. Martin MEC Clapton's Choice PB Medium ($5.99)
  5. Gibson Masterbuilt Premium PB Medium ($6.99)

So I hooked up the Clapton's Choice first. Hey not bad!  Nothing standoutish but quite decent when compared to the newtones & sunbeams. Funny thing though - after just one day I thought they started to sound tinny/metallic like new strings often do...sooo not sure how to rank them...

I then outfitted my git with the Curt Mangan's. Very Nice. Warm but articulate. And a little aural observation bonus: B strings often sound "off" to me - like they they never really match the rest of the strings pack somehow. The Curt's didnt have this issue. I rank them highly.

At this stage of my unscientific string progression I'm definitely feeling like I'm on my 20th glass of a scotch tasting - I can no longer recall how each compares with the other but am so drunk with pleasure it doesnt really matter anymore...

So summing up (again):

Best Sounding
1. Cleartone EMP, Medium 13-56 (lights were great too) $16.99/set
2. Curt Mangan Fusion Matched 80/20 Bronze Medium/Light 12-54 ($6.95) (recommended by Michael T & Bltprf502 & ffinke) :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut

Very Good
1. Dean Markley Helix HD 80/20, Eliptical Wound, 13-56 $6.95/set
2. Newtone Master Class mediums custom $12.95/set (Michael T) :donut :donut :donut :donut
3. DR Sunbeam RCA-12 Medium Strings $6.79/set (Michael T & Bltprf502) :donut :donut :donut :donut

Acceptable
1. John Pearse, 610LM Silk Phos Bronze, Light/Medium  $8.99/set (pennerblue) :donut :donut :donut
2. Clapton's Choice (13-56) $5.99/set (Bubblemaker) :donut :donut :donut

Never again
1. Martin SP 80/20s $5.89/set
2. D'Addario EXP17 (mediums) $10.49/set
3. D'Addario EJ17 (medium PB) $5.89set

Stay tuned for reviews of Ernie Ball, Laurence Juber, and Gibson....
Larrivee D-03 HH
1991 Marc Beneteau Dread
'70s Joodee YW40M
Early 70's El Degas MT10

Interesting....all those strings reviewed but i dont see Elixirs on your list anywhere (unless I'm blind...) I'd be interested in knowing where they rank in your opinion...particularly the Phosphor Bronze Nanos
LV-03re, born in Vancouver on 1/12/2005