Review of Planet Wave's strobe tuner

Started by lw216316, May 21, 2009, 12:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As promised, this is for the request to provide a review of the planet wave tru-strobe tuner.

Its called a tru-strobe because some products are 'simulated' strobe.   :cop:

I got it from Amazon for $84.95+
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-PW-CT-07-Tru-Strobe-Tuner/dp/B000Z5VB4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1242925748&sr=8-1

This is a STROBE tuner - a very different animal than a clip on.
It uses strobe technology - clever how they used that in the product name  :wink:

It is 10 times more accurate than the best clip on I've heard of.
The claimed accuracy rating is within 1/10 of 1 percent (compared to 1 % for a clipon).

This is a table top unit designed for studio or table top at home etc.
It is about the size of a baseball and heavy.
It uses a supplied 9 volt battery.
....has input jacts for electric, built in mic for acoustic...
simple design...only one button..for start / stop.
Once on,  just play a string, any string...etc...

It is the least expensive strobe tuner I could find and it had great reviews - was rated a very good value

It is designed with a spinning 360 degree circle stobe display -
if you've ever seen an old western movie where the wagon wheels look like they are spinning backwards at certain
speeds and then appear to go in the opposite direction when the speed changes -
well that is what the strobe display looks like -

out of tune ? it spins clockwise or counter-clockwise depending on if you are flat or sharp.
It is designed to stop spinning when you are exactly in tune -   within 1/10 of 1%.

Its pretty cool to watch - felt like I was at the command console of the Star Ship Enterprise.

I worked with it for a long time but I had trouble seeing the pattern and never could get it to stop dead on - with no spinning -
It's probably just me ...I'll take the blame...

I'll bet a young player who is very techno savy would find it perfectly wonderful -
and see me as an old dinasaur not able to adjust to the electronic age.

I got tired of working with it and returned it to Amazon.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

I haven't tried a strobe, but that "wouldn't stop spinning" issue might have to do with the way strings actually work in practice... if you listen carefully as you play a note, it'll often creep slightly higher in tone after a while.  Older or slightly uneven strings show this problem a bit more.  The tuner might have been picking that up very accurately, so getting it to stop spinning meant you were trying to track a moving target

Be interested to hear from others with experience on all kinds of strobe tuners

However I bet if you'd tried the strobe with a tuning fork (which probably doesn't have any pitch-creep), it would stop spinning and probably give you an electronic shout-out for finding the one thing that might hold a consistent pitch...

Many of the clip-on tuners seem to have some kind of damping built in, so that they show you the 'average' note you're playing, without going all over the map showing you the minute variations from second to second.  It's a tradeoff, but I find them easy to use for that reason -- helps me get started at the note I'm looking for.  With any tuner, I'll often end up fine tuning by ear anyway

Dave

QuoteI haven't tried a strobe, but that "wouldn't stop spinning" issue might have to do with the way strings actually work in practice... if you listen carefully as you play a note, it'll often creep slightly higher in tone after a while.  Older or slightly uneven strings show this problem a bit more.  The tuner might have been picking that up very accurately, so getting it to stop spinning meant you were trying to track a moving target

You are exactly right Dave that issue is addressed in the Planet Wave instructions.

Plus, how the string is plucked also matters - picks are a problem - a bare finger with moderate touch is needed.

I think it would be a wonderful tuner once you know how to use and read it properly.
I guess I'm an old dog who can't learn this new trick.
And...I get frustrated quickly with electronic gadgets I'm having trouble with.
So I don't blame the product.
Guess I need a strobe tuner for dummies.  :bgrin:

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Thanks for the review - that is one of the problems with tools that are too accurate. You probably got the strings tuned alot more close than the clip-on could do, but still - you want to play guitar, not hassle with technology  :cheers

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quoteyou want to play guitar, not hassle with technology

yes, its back to my antique plastic pitch pipe to get my E note - and then tune the other 5 by ear.

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

I have the footpedal model of the Planetwaves strobe tuner. It had regular mode and strobe tuning mode. I wish it defaulted to strobe tuning when powered on, but you have to hit a small button to go into strobe mode. I love the accuracy and the bright large dial. I use it as my bench tuner.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

I'm adding on to this thread because I've been thinking about getting a strobe tuner and to my chagrin have discovered that Planet Waves no longer sells the tuner Larry has reviewed here. The stock number is PWCT07 or PW-CT-07 as well as I can determine.

Does anyone know the reason Planet Waves has discontinued this model?

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Does anyong have experience with the Peterson StroboClip tuner? Accuracy is supposed to be the same 1/10th of one cent the the StroboFlip advertises, just 1/3 the price. Any help would be appreciated.

:donut :donut :donut2 :coffee

...for your trouble.
f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)