Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Know of any good strings for blues????  (Read 1030 times)
zackblues

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2010, 04:05:31 AM »

I want a set of strings that have a "dark mellow tone".  I don't like that crisp bright sound.  I guess you could say that I want something that sounds dull and deep.  Does that make any since?? hahaha.   And advice would be great. 
Parlor Picker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:58:36 AM »

Sounds like you should leave the same strings on your guitar for a year or two.

Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele
L-fan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »

Perhaps you could try a bunch of strings to see what gives you the sound.  I would recommend Newtone Masterclass Nickel - basic steel strings (not cheap though!) if I remember correctly.  I tried a set on an OM-03MT that I used to own, and I liked them.  They lacked a bit of that sparkly brightness, but they had a great feel to them.  

Back in the heyday of ragtime/blues, there was no phosphor bronze or bronze, just pure steel right?  Somebody please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as I would be interested to learn just what strings they were using back in the day.

Scott

RS-2
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 01:12:51 PM »

Do you have any idea what kind of strings the old bluesmen played? I'd suggest barbed wire but my guess would be ... six or 12. Newish.     
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 01:35:39 PM »

Well back in the late 60's and into the early 70's about all a guy would find at most shops were black diamonds, and if memory serves me maybe some reds. If you look hard enough you may still be able to find them too (probably in the barbed wire section  ). I thought they found the holy grail when they started carrying Ernie ball super slinky's at a lot of the shops.

Today, it'll take some time and a lot of recording to wade through the many offered to find you personal favorite for each guitar. Mine ended up being DR Sunbeams, followed by Curt Managan uncoated. Took me months to go through recording 9 different sets fresh and just before changing at 25 hours to come to my personal choices, there are a lot more to choose from now days.

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:26:26 PM »

Black Diamonds are still available but now there more or less like most strings.The E.Balls die rather quike so you may want to use them{Earthwoods}.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »

What you describe seems to be like tyhe ne Red Brand strings. They are mellower richer, stiff and less plolished that the usual culprits. I like the sound, but the last time I tried them I used D'Addario steels for the treble. Same stuff, better polish. Otherwise, maybe just use worn strings?

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
zackblues

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 06:30:54 PM »

Are you talking about the Red Brand "copper bronze" strings???  I just bought those the other day at guitar center and finally strung up the guitar last night.. They have a very unique sound. Can't tell if I like them just yet. Might need to give it a week or so. 

I usually buy DR Rare strings.  They have a nice dark tone.  I usually just keep my strings on for a very long time without changing them to get that dull sound I like. hahaha
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 08:32:25 PM »

Are you talking about the Red Brand "copper bronze" strings???  I just bought those the other day at guitar center and finally strung up the guitar last night.. They have a very unique sound. Can't tell if I like them just yet. Might need to give it a week or so. 

I usually buy DR Rare strings.  They have a nice dark tone.  I usually just keep my strings on for a very long time without changing them to get that dull sound I like. hahaha
yes those are the ones. I hated them when I first strummed them. After 24 hours they settled in and sounded warm. Let us know your evaluation.

Chris
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »

The ones I remember were just called Red, and they were sold uncoiled in long paper wrappers.

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 12:40:18 AM »

Two suggestions:

1  Ask the clerks where you buy your strings what they recommend. Dealing with different preferences all day long might give them a perspective that most of us don't have. We all have our biases.

2  Look at your technique. Fingerstyle vs. flatpick. Close to bridge vs. close to fretboard. If flatpick, what size and shape. If fingersyle, a lot of nail or a lot flesh.

f

ps/ beyond that, Curt Mangan Fusion Matched PB Mediums.

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 10:02:02 PM »

Any string that has lost its dog, wrecked its truck, and is separated from its wife... 

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 10:45:11 PM »

Any string that has lost its dog, wrecked its truck, and is separated from its wife... 

There ya go. Real insight

Chris
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: