Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shaving the Saddle at the B string  (Read 445 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:35:45 AM »

The B string again, this time not compensation, but the result of it and on the footprint itself.
When I changed strings last night on my J-05, I removed the saddle to smoothen out the top surface. I noticed that under the B-string a substantial amount of material was removed in a quarter moon shape about 1/4" wide and maybe 1/8" high. I then remembered hearing somewhere this is sometimes done to dampen a "loud B string" when plugged in, and in so doing improve overall string to string balance, and thinking about it, my logic tells me it might be because of added pressure from the B-string caused by a sharper break angle as a result of the closer to the string ball (compensated) position. I never thought that removing that much material was required though.
Is this common practice?
I have to say it sounds quite ok when playing acoustically, I wouldn't have noticed had I not seen the saddle for myself. Have to add that after I fitted those strings it is a totally different guitar - never ceases to amaze me - wow!!!
I Googled and found this article: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-156918.html
What are your thoughts guys - Rob, ever done this?

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:42:47 PM »

I gotta say no.According to the poster it seems to work.I don't compensate the B string when I make a saddle because I believe that its not needed {ya I know I'll get s**t for this but}.I make sure that the saddle is flat on the bottom and haven't had the problem that of an over powering "B".Wish I could help here but sorry I can't.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: