Strings for Maple guitars

Started by L-fan, April 21, 2010, 03:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am going to buy some strings, and it occurs to me that now that I have a maple bodied guitar (my D-03FM), that maybe I need to be thoughtful when choosing strings.  Since Maple is providing me with 'brightness' in the sound naturally, should I shy away from bright strings, e.g., bronze, etc.

Any suggestions to optimize a nice Maple guitar's natural qualities?

Might as well provide a picture of my Maple baby:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Scott

RS-2

I should mention that I really don't like the Cleartones that came with the guitar - not a good match with the Maple to my ears!
Scott

RS-2

I use the same strings on my maple's as I use on my rosewood guitars Dean Markley 80/20 vintage bronze or D'Addarrio EJ 19's.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on April 21, 2010, 03:34:36 PM
I use the same strings on my maple's as I use on my rosewood guitars Dean Markley 80/20 vintage bronze or D'Addarrio EJ 19's.

That's good to know, as I know you have extensive experience with, and appreciation of, Maple.  I'm a fan of D'Addario, so maybe I'll change the Cleartones out for EJ17's, or maybe EJ16's.
Scott

RS-2

Scott,

You also may want to try Newtone Masterclass, which I like quite a lot on my Froggy Bottom maple.

On a dread the EJ19's which are a light top heavey bottom,you'll get a stronger bass which fills out what is considered the brightness or what I believe is more prononced mids.There also great if you like drop tunings.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on April 21, 2010, 03:34:36 PM
Same brand choices for me. I continue to enjoy the Dean Markey Gold Bronze Alchemy strings. And EJ's are just hard to beat.