Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Larrivee killed your GAS for other guitars  (Read 9669 times)
247hoopsfan

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:31:40 PM »

I find that other guitars don't have as much allure to me after owning my 2 Larrivees.  I think I have all I need... a great dreadnaught D10, and an incredible all around/fingerstyle in my JCL 40th Anniversary.  I still stop by Gryphon in Palo Alto occasionally just to play a few nice guitars.  But even after playing some very expensive luthier-built guitars, I don't find that they offer anything better than what I have.  It is kind of a good feeling actually. 

Of course, I still check the Larrivee Classifeds just to see if I might be missing something.   I just missed out on a L03 Blackwood on the Bay.  I would like to know how those sound.  I hear they are a "darker" sound than Koa, which may suit me.  I find Koa a little bit thin in tone and volume.

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
SeattlePete

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:15:34 PM »

Love my Larrivee, and it's my main acoustic, but if I could buy three more guitars right now, I'd want an olympic white, maple fretboard strat, a good J-45 and maybe a Guild M-20.

I like the idea of a pure Larrivee herd, but I think more likely, I'd like to have all the colors of the rainbow.
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:25:41 PM »

I don't think Larrivee has killed my GAS for other git's. It's just that Larrivee has so much to offer, I don't need to look else where. There is so much to discover with Larrivee, sounds, diff. wood, looks, feel etc, etc, the list just goes on. Where do you stop? By the time you decide, there are no more funds left to GAS for any other brand  bigrin
cheers
fongie
gitnoob

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:42:41 PM »

I'm not sure I want a cure for GAS.    To me, guitars are like food.   I love Indian food, but I don't want it at every meal.    So I complement my Canadian food with a bit of Chinese as well as some good ol' American cuisine.   

Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 12:32:45 AM »

No. 

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 12:39:35 AM »

Killed my gas for Taylors thats for sure,
Once I played a Larrivee ,it sounded so much more balanced than the Taylor I thought I wanted
Hasnt killed my Gas for a nice Martin though, but I think If I found a nice D09 that would do it for me.
dave
dee-ten

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 01:01:20 AM »

Hey 247hoopsfan, I know what you mean about other guitars loosing their allure. I bought a 2000 D10 about a year ago and absolutely love it. I really wanted a fingerstyle guitar and was seriously considering a Taylor 514ce but when I first picked up this baby I knew it was for me. If I could afford a Taylor I'd get one, mostly because I think they look great ,  but every time I go into a music store and play one, I remember back home is a sweet Lari waiting to sing... and does she ever:)

I played a L05 recently and loved the dark, warm sound. I'm dreaming of mahogany or a nylon string as my second guitar.

So I guess my Larrivee has decreased my GAS... or maybe turned it into LAS

Oh, how the Larrivee makes one feel...

"It is kind of a good feeling actually." I'll second that!! bigrin

2000 Larrivee D-10
Bikeryder

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 01:20:08 AM »

Yes, although a walnut parlour would be nice to take to the office on occasion.

Shoot low; they're riding Shetlands!
05 SD-50
03 OM-03R
76 Gibson Explorer
76 Yamaha SG-2000
77 Hagstrom Jimmy D'Aquisto
65 Guild Mark II
'07 Mex Strat
'10 Mex Jazzmaster
'76 Kramer 450 bass
AgeOfEmpires

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 03:58:04 AM »

If I had the $'s I'd sure like to give a SCGC OM PW a try. Other than that, I hope my next guitar is a 03 or 05 MT.  That'll have to wait a while though.   crying
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 04:12:57 AM »

Yes. When I found my L-09, I thought I was going to get  Martin or Santa Cruz. While I still like them a lot and I play most of the high end guitars I find, I keep finding  Larrivee's I like as much or better. I liked an OM-28 Marquis, and I liked a Froggy Bottom even more, and was blown away when I played an OM-09 and found it just as good. The Larrivee 000-50 was stunning: it may be the best mid-size I have played. Maybe someday...

I am constantly growing in my appreciation for and love of my L-09, and my new 00-03 Special is rapidly catching up. I am seriously GAS-ing for a P-09 I played.

Much as I do admire many of the Martin, Goodall, Collings, Froggy Bottom, or Santa Cruz guitars I try, and would be proud to own, I feel like I own instruments that are easily their equal, and whose sound is my favorite. That I pay less for them is only icing. About the only non-Larrivee I have serious GAS left for is a vintage type Martin D, or possibly a certain Martin 00-28VS I played.

And meeting the Larrivee family makes mine feel even more personal to me, if that makes any sense.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 12:47:12 PM »

And meeting the Larrivee family makes mine feel even more personal to me, if that makes any sense.
   Yup.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Stephen Basil

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 01:02:24 PM »

I'd still like to have a cedar-topped steel string.  I tried a cedar/walnut O-sized Lowden and found it fantastic.

OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 01:15:31 PM »

I'd still like to have a cedar-topped steel string.  I tried a cedar/walnut O-sized Lowden and found it fantastic.
  I saw some decently priced cedar topped "Bedell" guitars. But I don't know much about them.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 01:24:48 PM »

I've had my FIII for a year now and GAS has not been an issue.  Got my FIV a couple of days ago and realized just how much well Larrivee builds all mahogany guitars not to mention how much I missed owning one!

I'd love another parlor..

Yeah, I'm a Larrivee fanatic bu I still have GAS for other guitars though.  I'd love a nice Guild 12 string...a Webber roundbody would be cool, with cedar and rosewood...I've always love Martins...a 000-28VS would be nice to have...

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »

"...And meeting the Larrivee family makes mine feel even more personal to me, if that makes any sense......"

Hmmmmm.I've met all of the Larrivee family, and I have a bunch of Larrivees.
I met James Goodall in Kona HI, and I  have a Goodall parlor.
I met Bill Collings at the NAMM show, and I have a Collings mandolin.
My son and I were given a tour of SCGC by Richard Hoover, but I don't have a Santa Cruz git....do you suppose that's a sign?
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 02:07:14 PM »

"...And meeting the Larrivee family makes mine feel even more personal to me, if that makes any sense......"

Hmmmmm.I've met all of the Larrivee family, and I have a bunch of Larrivees.
I met James Goodall in Kona HI, and I  have a Goodall parlor.
I met Bill Collings at the NAMM show, and I have a Collings mandolin.
My son and I were given a tour of SCGC by Richard Hoover, but I don't have a Santa Cruz git....do you suppose that's a sign?

A sign of things to come Walkerman?

sayheyjeff

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 02:41:11 PM »

I've only acquired 2 guitars since my 2nd Larrivee.  Guess not.  They do put a damper on my wanting to things besides play guitar.

jeff

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
rlavigne

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 04:09:10 PM »

Nope.
I still GAS for nice guitars in my pricing-to-tone comfort zone...and a few out of that zone, too! ;-)

Russ

Composite Acoustics Cargo
Larrivée P-03R
Martin OM-21
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor 312ce
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 04:11:19 PM »

A sign of things to come Walkerman?

I was quite taken aback by a little firefly I saw during our tour....
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 04:24:30 PM »

"Has Larrivee killed your GAS for other guitars?"

For other steel stringed acoustics...yup, pretty much.  And now for electrics as well, with the RS-4 (and I'm waiting to hear about an RS-2 with P-90's).

(If Larrivee ever starts making some intersesting nylon string variations, they'll kill my GAS in that area, too!)

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: