Made in Canada vs Made in USA

Started by Mountain Fever, April 21, 2010, 02:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was at a music store yesterday and the person who I was speaking to seemed to hold the opinion that Larrivees built in Canada were of a higher quality than those built in the USA, for whatever reason.

So...I guess I would be interested to know if anyone else feels that way. And, if Canadian made is better, which models are made where?

Also...does anyone know when the Oxnard plant was first opened?

I've had one or two from Victoria, a bunch from Vancouver and a bunch from California. Some are better than others for sure, but I don't think there is any consistent quality difference. Older models often sound better precisely because they are older and more seasoned. A couple of Vancouver models I had with gloss finishes had some finish issues, which I never saw on a California model.

One man's opinion (excuse me for assuming it was a man), how or why would that influence you? JCL designs the guitar and his ex ended family oversees the production, I really don't see the location entering into it at all. If it did, I believe JCL is at the CA plant primarily, would that not be an indicator of closer quality control if it were an issue? I think I would have smiled politely and continued auditioning guitars.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Quote from: Mountain Fever on April 21, 2010, 02:44:33 PM
I was at a music store yesterday and the person who I was speaking to seemed to hold the opinion that Larrivees built in Canada were of a higher quality than those built in the USA, for whatever reason.

So...I guess I would be interested to know if anyone else feels that way. And, if Canadian made is better, which models are made where?

From what I have read the 03's are made in Canada, and the rest are made in the USA.  I also think the salesperson was out to lunch on their assumption.
Larrivee D-03R
1984 Seagull S6 Cedar Bone Nut and Saddle
1997 Les Paul Studio
Marshall 8080 ValveState

Quote from: Mountain Fever on April 21, 2010, 02:44:33 PM

According to the highly regarded and oft-cited history thread, Oxnard opened in 2001.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=31982.0
Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob

Ironically, now (and for the while) all acoustics will be made in Vancouver. Oxnard is concentrating on mandolins and electrics.
I don't think there any quality differences. As noted Canada did the -03's which are satin while Oxnard did the gloss models. Some believe there is a sonic difference due to finish, and there is that matter of taste.  If you like the look and feel of -03's than you think they are better :smile:

i think  :nice guitar: all.  :nana_guitar
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

QuoteOne man's opinion (excuse me for assuming it was a man), how or why would that influence you? JCL designs the guitar and his ex ended family oversees the production, I really don't see the location entering into it at all. If it did, I believe JCL is at the CA plant primarily, would that not be an indicator of closer quality control if it were an issue? I think I would have smiled politely and continued auditioning guitars.

I was influenced only to the point of asking a broader group of people about their experience.

Living in California myself, it would be entirely possible, if not probable that some changes in some part of the production process be made to comply with California's very strict air quality laws.

Lots of things enter into trends in quality and by and large moe often than not when a company expands to try and maximize their gross the quality slips to some degree. Check out Fender years ago....Gibson right now...and many others.

I have yet to go into a store that has more than one of any model in any line and be able to A-B and pcik the one that sounds best. Therefore, I have to hope that there is to the degree possible some sort of consistency in the production of the guitars.

I don't think there is any difference apart from being a Yankie citizen or a Canook citizen. Same boss, same mould
cheers
fongie

So Canada isn't oversea's?  :doh
Signatures are for losers.

Being made in Canada myself, I see no real downside to it.

My wife was produced in Vancouver and I was produced in the US. We get along very nicely, thank you very much.  :bgrin:

Interesting that this question even comes up, since the higher-end models have been produced in Oxnard while Vancouver has focused on the 03 models. Both factories have been run by a family member, so I'd assume the quality standards are identical. But the question itself speaks especially well for the lower cost 03s.

Really interesting thread  Mountain Fever.
I find it interesting because there are so many that seem to maintain that, for instance, going from 1977: 14 people, 4 guitars/day in Victoria BC to 1998: 100 people, 60 guitars/day in Vancouver didn't make a difference to quality, character, playability and a whole host of other things. That going from primarily a hand built guitar to a CNC manufactured one in 1989 didn't effect the same things.  I for one think it did, not so much a matter of location but a matter of a host of other variables ... and I for one love the earlier instruments.  I love the earlier Larrivees for the same reason I love the earlier Martins and for that matter, the Yamahas and Tachs too.  A friend has a 1930s OOO Martin That his dad played on early radio that I would gladly give my eye teeth for.  Another has a very early Larrivee Florentine Cutaway that I would give anything for.  All this is not too say that the older ones are better, just different, a difference I love.  Larrivee is a living guitar company, and it, as well as its products, are always developing and changing, alot.  As for me, Guitars are like good cheese ... the older hand made stuff is usually better to my taste.  Now if only I had the money to satisfy my appetite.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

When you say "03" models does that include P-03s?  I have a P-03 that says Made in California.  New here, so pardon if I'm mixing guitars.  I posted my original question concerning a discrepancy between the label (which says P-03) and the neck block (that says P-02).  I got an explanation for that and while here - lo and behold - stumbled on another question. 

The 00-03 Special and the p-03 longer scale were made in Oxnard. But now all acoustics will be made in Vancouever. Until that changes! It's actual what the family decides.
:bowdown: :wave
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Canadian Larrivees have a "eh" string instead of an A string