Gibson vs. Larrivee

Started by Strings4Him, April 21, 2010, 11:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I had a killer Advanced Jumbo which I sold because it wasn't quite as sweet as my Bourgeios Slope D (I could only justify only one slope shoulder at the time).  The Gibby's are nice.  Their work can be a little sloppy at times and a little inconsistent.  When they are good they are really good.  I think some of the most recent newest ones I have played have been good.  I have had several Larrivee's and they are just too hard to beat at any price not to mention they are very consistent.  As I will always throw in to a discussion like this...To each their own. ... Not to mention they are oranges and apples to me.  Hard to compare in the end.
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

There is one icon that is missing . . . . just shaking your head meaning, so rediculous . . . :rolleye:
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Roman you have quite a collection of guitars!

What do you think of your Gibson SJ and Gibson J-55?  What year are they?

Quote from: AZLiberty on April 24, 2010, 01:33:10 AM
Thuddy and full of socks?

I like the way Martins sound, I like the way Guilds* sound, I like the way Larrivees sound; Gibsons have never done it for me.

*Real Guilds, not GADs.  GADs are not Guilds (must control Fender Hate...)

:roll :roll :roll

Yes, there are many Gibby's that fit that description... That made ma laugh..  Like I said there are a lot of good Gibby's out there, but I have heard too many that are "thuddy and full of socks" 

:roll
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

Gibson is well known for her history in music making but not in term great sounding and comfortablitiy, as for Larrivee (my own C-03re) '97 model sounds great and confortable to play at any time anywhere. I went to Atlanta guitar centre pick up all the Gibson model from J45 - J200 and signature model. none of them come vlose to Larrivee in the store. I am very impressed by Larrivee simple down to earth design and hidden talents. Perhaps we should leave Gibson under the history book instead of current music world industry(no offence to Gibby lovers). Try the cheapest Larrivee range you'll see for yourself. Larrivee rocks.
Larrivee C-03RE 97' (fishman stereo blender)
Trace acoustic amp TA50R
Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum
Samson airline UHF guitar wireless system
Max Lucado Devotional Bible