Gibson vs. Larrivee

Started by Strings4Him, April 21, 2010, 11:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

It seems to me that I see Gibson acoustics all over the place.  Why is this?  Their guitars seem overpriced compared to Larrivee guitars?

Does it make sense to own a Gibson if Larrivee's of similar size are available at lower price points?

I am just trying to understand the mystique of the Gibson brand.  My little research indicated that the Gibson acoustic brand suffered some quality issues and resurfaced in the 1990's with better quality guitars.

Thanks.

Quote from: Strings4Him on April 21, 2010, 11:12:23 AM

Does it make sense to own a Gibson if Larrivee's of similar size are available at lower price points?

No sense at all!!! But marketing and celebrity endorsement is very tough for the masses to resist IMHO
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I must vote yes!  As someone who currently owns nothing but Larrivee gits, I can say that if a nice J-45 or L-00 came my way when I had the $$, I would not hesitate.  Gibson is a part of US history and culture, and many of their guitars have a distinct/unique sound.  I've always wanted to own a nice Gibby, but how can I reach that goal when Larrivee has so many fine guitars priced so reasonably?    :winkin:   

A winning Lottery ticket would provide me with a few more nice Larrivees, and at least one Gibson, probably a nice slope shoulder dread with the famous Gibson growl.
Scott

RS-2

L-fan said, "Gibson is a part of US history and culture, and many of their guitars have a distinct/unique sound."

Can anyone describe the Gibson sound compared to Larrivee?

My take: Gibson is punchy, well articulated, somewhat dry, and foward sounding. Martin is more at the other end of the spectrum regarding balance, more string-to-string overtones, mellow................. and Larrivee is somewhere in between, which is a fine place to be!
Mark

Larrivee Parlor
'05Martin 000x
'91 Gibson Star
'93Gibson J-45
'08 Gibson SG Faded
"06 Fender Neck Thru Strat
68 Gibson ES-330

I just posted these thoughts on the AGF in response to Q why so many contestants are playing Gibson's on American Idiot.
Personally, I prefer Larrivee's but reserve the right... Never played one yet that got to me though.

"The Gibbies have had a cache in the C&W rock and blues worlds since Nick Lucas, Robert Johnson, Woodie Guthrie, Hank Williams, Bob Dylan, Wilco, and now Bad Blake were seen playing them. I doubt Gibson needs to do much to  promote them. If those guys were photo'ed playing Deans then...The AI contestants are most poseurs IMO"

:roll
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: Strings4Him on April 21, 2010, 11:12:23 AM

Does it make sense to buy a BMW if a Chevy is cheaper?

If your only criterion is price then you will buy the less expensive product. If you consider other factors then there can be all kinds of reasons to buy all kinds of products.

Buy what you like and don't worry about what others buy....
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Every brand of guitar has its own place in music, and many guitars have that association with certain genres, bands or even songs. Think if Neil Young had played a Gibson J-45 instead of the Martin D-45 how different those famous recordings would sound.

I see a few different groups of people buying guitars... and here is what I see from them.

For the people that are chasing those tones, sometimes the price doesn't mean a thing; look as the numbers of high end boutique guitars that are being sold. There are endless copies of the old Martins available for some high prices out there for the people chasing a certain tone.

Then there are the people that will only look to a certain brand name, regardless of cost. Some people need that certain name on the headstock. 

Maybe the least reasonable group is the ones that think that the price makes it sound better.  I've had many discussions on this with people who told me that my D-03R doesn't hold a candle to their $3000 Washburn. (he was wrong............... :tongue: )

Finally, we have the reasonable people, who will play many guitars and then pick the one that sounds the best and fits their budget.

I would think that most of the people that own a Larrivee fit into that last category. Unfortunately, Larrivee doesn't have that fame factor that other guitar makers have (for now) so it's really the word of mouth and good reviews that keep it going.  How many people read though this forum, and go out to find a Larrivee? And then there's a lot of them that show up and say "been reading the forum, never heard of Larrivee before, and now I love them"

When I bought my D-03R, I didn't know much about the brand, but the store gave me a lot of information with some great reviews on the guitars, which lead to me playing pretty much every Larrivee in there, and I walked away that evening with one the the nicest guitars I've ever heard.  That was 5 years ago now, and the guitar is even better, and even though I've added the D-50 and my Gibson AJ to the collection since, the D-03R is still one of the best.  Around the time I bought the first Larrivee, I was looking into Gibson's Working Man 45 (stripped down J-45) and it just didn't sound good enough at that price point, whereas the Larrivee could have cost much more, and would still be a good price for the sound.

This rant boils down to a few things.... There are so many options out there for guitar players, but so many of them are stuck on things like price, and the brand name.  Gibson does make some spectacular guitar, as do Larrivee, Martin, Taylor and the rest, and people will buy what they want.  Hopefully people will try out different brands to help them make a better choice.

Thats about it for my ranting today.    :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee :donut :donut2 :donut :donut :donut :donut2
Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass

Quote from: KenHolden on April 21, 2010, 02:07:53 PM
Every brand of guitar has its own place in music, and many guitars have that association with certain genres, bands or even songs.

To date I've owned a bunch of different guitars (including Martin, Gibson and Taylor) and the only brand that I've even considered duplicating is Larrivee. The quality and price points are exemplary.

Quote from: KenHolden on April 21, 2010, 02:07:53 PM
Finally, we have the reasonable people, who will play many guitars and then pick the one that sounds the best and fits their budget.

Unfortunately there are those that had the right guitar and let it go while chasing 'the sound'. If the Gibson has that certain sound that speaks to you, BUY IT! Sometimes it takes many months (or even years) to know if it's a keeper but that's why life is a journey and not a destination. Enjoy the trip.

If you've got the cash, go for something like an Olson or a Linda Manzer and enjoy a rare, unique sound.

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Hmm,interesting.....

Well,I came back to guitar after a long layoff.I doubt I will stop playing and attempting to get batter,unless I have hand health issues.

Anyway,I used to own some lovely Martins,when my kids were babes.....So when I had my guitar budget back in place,I checked out what is "now" viable,and learned of Larrivee from the web(and a magazine).

I "thought" I'd get at least one Martin(I do like them)but never warmed up to Gibson.....

I wound up with 4 "final" guitars.Three from Boutique mfgrs,and "one" a Larrivee....my D-O3R(which I bought first)

No Martins,but that was how it worked out.I just liked my other 3 choices better.Of course,if my budget allowed,I would die for a D-18 Authentic.

OK,here's my two cents.......I can clearly see the lack of build attention in many Gibsons,and I'm not thrilled with their "all over the place" sound.Sorry(but I LOVE the old J-35/45 models...except the price).I just don't trust "that" company.

I checked out alot of gits before falling onto my D-O3R.It was more than I wanted to spend,as I splurged on my other three choices,but it definitely had "that qual;ity build",not to mention a warm,rich gorgeous sound.....I could  NOT pass it up,so I  bought it!!...............Yet..............

It is by far the least expensive of my guitars...............but............I  "constantly" say to myself......."Man,this guitar is a bargain and rediculously well made".

I'd not hesitate to buy another one.....Btw,I LOVE the D-50!!....Talk about a BARGAIN!!! :smile:

Just one man's opinion

Thanks for all the feedback.  I honestly don't think Gibson guitars are for me.

Gibson guitars are not for me either, but some players can make them talk.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

I've had a couple of Gibsons and currently own 4 Larrivees.   I will probably always keep my 93 Gospel but I didn't think twice about trading my 2001 Hummingbird for a 000-50MT.   The Gospel is one of the least expensive Gibsons at the time I bought it and the Hummingbird was one of the most expensive.   I never bonded with the H'bird.    My mistake was in buying the Gibson name with that transaction.   I gave it a few years and an honest effort but I just realized I could never get the sound I wanted out of that Hummingbird.     You just have to be careful with Gibson guitars;  you can get a great one or a not-so-great one.   I've never been disappointed in a Larrivee

Quote from: Strings4Him on April 21, 2010, 11:46:09 AM

Can anyone describe the Gibson sound compared to Larrivee?

Thuddy and full of socks?

I like the way Martins sound, I like the way Guilds* sound, I like the way Larrivees sound; Gibsons have never done it for me.

*Real Guilds, not GADs.  GADs are not Guilds (must control Fender Hate...)

Quote from: cke on April 21, 2010, 01:08:56 PM
I just posted these thoughts on the AGF in response to Q why so many contestants are playing Gibson's on American Idiot.

You don't believe they owned them until the show though do you?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Zohn on April 24, 2010, 01:47:18 AM
You don't believe they owned them until the show though do you?

Last season was the "Taylor" season and the other show "America's got talent" furnished the contestants with Takamines.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Dotneck on April 21, 2010, 01:27:07 PM
Does it make sense to buy a BMW if a Chevy is cheaper?

If your only criterion is price then you will buy the less expensive product. If you consider other factors then there can be all kinds of reasons to buy all kinds of products.

Buy what you like and don't worry about what others buy....

:+1:

Couldn't have said it better myself.......
Ron

My friend borrowed my D-05E for his CD fund raising concert last night. On a couch, in the kitchen, through a PA, I would put that guitar against any guitar in the universe. Everyone I talked to said it sounded (and looked) great. Brand new, it cost me $1925.00 CDN without taxes. You want to spend more, you're welcome to but for me ... LarrivĂ©e. I opened for him with my 000-50, the first time she's been out in public. It did very well too.   

Why does it have to be Gibson versus Larrivee? That is sort of like chocolate versus vanilla ice cream. Both taste damn good and sometimes I prefer chocolate over vanilla but other times some vanilla bean is where it is at...................

Quote from: GA-ME on April 24, 2010, 11:09:06 AM
Why does it have to be Gibson versus Larrivee? That is sort of like chocolate versus vanilla ice cream. Both taste damn good and sometimes I prefer chocolate over vanilla but other times some vanilla bean is where it is at...................

Hi GA-ME,

My initial post really was asking for comparisons.  I had noticed that Gibson acoustics were all over the television--especially on American Idol.  When I checked the price of Larrivees compared to Gibsons, it just made more sense (and cents) to go with Larrivee guitars.  To each his own, for sure.