Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blueridge Guitars?  (Read 1092 times)
hmg

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2004, 05:28:13 PM »

One of the guys that takes lessons from my instructor is considering a Blueridge....cant remember which model, and says that these sound as good as Martins but at a fraction of the cost and are made in China. I have heard that many of the imports lack a consistent build quality.  He says that these are different. Does anybody know anything about these?
hmg

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 05:48:55 PM »

That's what I get for not searching for earlier posts....sorry for duplicating an earlier post but if anyone has any additional or new insights I would still appreciate them and pass them on.
bigmo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 02:33:38 AM »

To me it is sort of not wanting to believe that China is capable of producing a product that can even come close to rivaling a time tested, good ol' made in the USA acoustic guitar, but I'll be darned if they don't seem to be doing it!  I just have a hard time believing that the same folks building these guitars are building "Happy Meal" Toys!

1997 Tacoma PM20
2001 Tacoma C5C Chief
2004 Tacoma EMM30 Forum Guitar
2006 Tacoma VECK40C

Tacoma Guitar Forum
Big Martin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 03:08:55 AM »

I have played most of the Blueridge models and think they are absolutely STUNNING sounding.  Some were better than others and an occasional MONSTER that is second to NO GUITAR whether Martin, Taylor, Larrivee or whatever.

One, a BR-240 almost wound up in my collection.  It was absolutely GREAT.  I couldnt get the dealer to budge off of a full shop price.

To me the best ones are the solid mahogany b/s models though the solid rosewood b/s models are the most consistent.  I think their BR-160 would be the one I would most trust to be ordered successfully online.

Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Guild F-30 Aragon Sunburst (Tacoma built, Adirondack top)
Gibson L-130
sunwood

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 03:47:45 PM »

Big Martin. Did you get to compare the 140 to the 240? If so was there enough of a difference to justify the cost?

Thanks
guitardave

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 01:54:19 AM »

They may be close to the Martins in a similar price range, but they are not close to upper level, 18,28, etc., or even the 15 or 16 series.  They do look nice, but they are pretty bland soundwise.  I also find the playability to be difficult.  The string spacing on the nut seems to close for me.  I say this regrettfully, as I really looked hard at them, and played many at Elderly.  In fact I was there today buying Koa Parlor and checked them out again.  I think the new slope shoulders from Blueridge look very interesting as a Gibson knockoff.  I played the little BG-40 today and it seemed OK.  I will look hard at the BG-140 when it is available.
I think the Alvarez's in that price range, $3-400 look pretty good, even though they are only solid tops.  
orsino
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 04:02:20 AM »

The only one I've played was a Dread a few months ago. I think it was around $400. Not wild about the narrow neck either but it had balls!

Big Martin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 04:08:38 AM »

Big Martin. Did you get to compare the 140 to the 240? If so was there enough of a difference to justify the cost?

Thanks
I played 1 BR140 and liked it.  The 240 I played was the best of ALL the Blueridges I ever played.  Its tone was as good as all but 3 or 4 guitars I ever played..  Like I said, the dealer who had this one would not budge off of a ridiculously high price so I had to walk away from it.

About the narrow fretboard (1 11/16):  I have heard a lot of folks have a new nut installed that gives a bit more room in the string spacing with no downside.  If you will notice there is some roon outside the 1 and 6 strings to expand.

Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Guild F-30 Aragon Sunburst (Tacoma built, Adirondack top)
Gibson L-130
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: