First Video with my new toy!

Started by Blue in VT, April 14, 2010, 02:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:wave :wave

Howdy all,

I just wanted to share a video I just made with my new toy....a Kodak Zi8 pocket camcorder...this thing takes video in HD...fits in your pocket...and cost less than 2 Benjamins...pretty cool.

So this is the very first thing that I recorded and edited...ever...with video...so its a little rough...plus I tried to squeeze this in before work so the playing is a little rushed as well...but I think it will give you an idea of this cameras capabilities.  I will certainly be posting more in the near future.

here it is...but be warned I do play guitars other than my larrivee....but she sounds the sweetest!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrCC1DjrPCA

Cheers,

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Very nice, Blue!

Under two bills, huh? Great video quality. Feel like I'm getting the chance to "meet" you and your guitars!

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

That's as cool as the ice on Lake Champlain  :bgrin:  (has it melted yet?)

nice quality -
that Silver Creek reminds me of my Recording King 12 fretter.  ( liked your Travis style pickin' )

- did you use a mini tripod ?
- use internal mike or attached ?
- upload directly from memory to youtube ?
- what image software /  editor do you use with it on your computer ?
- what format(s) can the video be recorded in ?

- some people report problems with 'vertical lines' in image and problems dealing with tech support
    - any problems like that ?

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

thanks Norm and Larry...I think this thing is going to be a lot of fun... :nanadance

Quote from: lw216316 on April 14, 2010, 03:08:18 PM
1.  That's as cool as the ice on Lake Champlain  :bgrin:  (has it melted yet?)
2.  - did you use a mini tripod ?
3.  - use internal mike or attached ?
4.  - upload directly from memory to youtube ?
5.  - what image software /  editor do you use with it on your computer ?
6.  - what format(s) can the video be recorded in ?
7.  - some people report problems with 'vertical lines' in image and problems dealing with tech support
    - any problems like that ?

- Larry

Larry...let me see if I can tackle these questions for you:
1.  haha.. :wacko:...  the ice is off but the water temp is still about 38F...thankfully we haven't started diving yet.. :tongue:...we are still having nights well below freezing...I won't get the garden in the ground until mid-may!
2.  I did use a mini tri pod which was set on a chair...not the best solution...I'll be getting a cheap full size tripod soon.
3. That video was recorded with the internal mic.  I have a small stereo mic (Sony I think) that I had purchased for my minidisc player...I'll plug it in and see how it sounds sometime this weekend.
4. You can upload straight from memory...I obviously dumped that vid onto my computer and did some editing....this one has a handy USB plug built right into it so no chords to lose!
5. I used the Arcsoft editing software that came with the camera...only software I have so far...seems pretty basic but for now it will work.
6. I believe that it records in .MOV and .WMA but the software has a conversion option that may allow you to save in other formats.
7. I've only had it for a few days but haven't had any problems with the image so far.

I should also mention that this particular camera comes with virtually no internal memory...you have to had a SD card (up to 32gig)  so figure that into cost...I got 2 4 gig cards cause they were on sale I also got a small case and I think my total was about $210

hope that helps.

cheers,

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170

Hello blue!

Nice playing, it was great to see you and the legendary Mary Helen.  You 2 were very influential in my transition to mahogany topped guitars.  That's a great little high quality recorder you've got there.  I'll look forward to the next video with an external mic to pick up the sound better.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quotethe ice is off but the water temp is still about 38F

brrrrrrr....and I thought the water in the spring in Florida where I got certified was cold  :arrow

QuoteI believe that it records in .MOV and .WMA but the software has a conversion option that may allow you to save in other formats.

Thanks for the details.
My el-cheapo digital camera records video in the MOV format only.
I've had a hard time finding / getting a 'free' editor to work with MOV
  or a free program that would convert MOV to something else.

That's a nice little camera you have.
I'm learning a little about them so I can make a good choice when I buy my first one.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

What a treat!  Thanks for sharing.  I don't get much chance to hear what Harmony guitars sound like, so it was a great comparison with Mary Helen.   :thumb
Scott

RS-2

Blue--

I really liked your blues pickin'.  I'm looking forward to your next video to see if the sound improves with the stereo external mic.

DAVE  :thumb
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Thanks ya'll  this is a sweet unit...I hope to get some more vids done this weekend with the external...but having some computer "issues"  :wacko: so I can't promise anything.

Cheers,

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170

Excellent all the way around. I just acquired a non-HD Creative Vado camera and was pretty pleased with the video quality until now. That is really, really nice -- really sharp and clear. It was also nice to see you and you playing your guitars.  Great job! Thanks for sharing it (although now I have to rethink my camera...).
Larrivee 00-40R

Nice playing and it looks like you got yourself a cool new toy. 

Looking forward to seeing/hearing more.  Thanks for sharing  :guitar

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Very nice Blue.  I have an OM-05MT too that sounds incredible.  I hope someday to do it justice!!

Great playing Blue, that video quality is amazing. The sound is OK but looking forward to hearing external mic, which will allow better placement for recording your guitar.  I have yet to find the optimal postion for recording with my Zoom H-4 (guitar and vocal), I may have to resort to external mic's.
Best wishes and keep up the good work.
:beer
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Good work Blue!
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Great picking blue - really enjoyed watchin that!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

:bgrin: :bgrin:

Thanks all!!  I managed to make a couple of new vids this weekend and hope to get them up later.  I did try my external mic....and had disappointing results....for some reason every video with the external has a high pitch whine in it... :crying:  so I will need to do some more experimenting with it to get it figured out...or try a different one.  So for now I will continue to record with the built in mic.

Stay tuned for more video in the near future!

Cheers,

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170