Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taylor knockoffs  (Read 1335 times)
mas music

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2010, 04:59:03 PM »

If imitation is the most sincere form of flattery Taylor guitars must be very flattered indeed. There are plenty of good Taylor knockoffs out there but I was shocked to see that Martin has thrown there hat in the ring. After all the Martin D28 is the most copied guitar of all time, never the less the all new Martin" Performing Artist Series" is practically a Taylor clone. Don't get my wrong I really like Martins and Taylors. Each brand makes it's contribution to the guitar world. You could say that Martin copying Taylor disturbs me on a philosophical level. What say you ?

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 150e 12 String
* Makala Baritone Ukulele
arbutusq

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 08:58:53 PM »

I just saw a picture of one of those new Martins, Don't like the aesthetic at all, although I'm sure they sound fine.  Does anyone know what the specs are, neck attachment, bracing etc?
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:12:33 PM »

Oh, I don't know...  beyond the icon we *want* them to be, they are a company.  They are trying to capture the largest segment of the market they can.  Considering the plethora of "signature" models they have, how much lower can they stoop?  What's next?...  The Elmo model? Captain Kangaroo?  Underdog?  I'm not saying they don't turn out some nice boxes, but really...

Ed

ps:  ok, when they put out the Estaban model, I'll take it back.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:14:24 PM »

Saw the picture of the new Martin and though sure, they can make a guitar look like a Taylor, but can they duplicate the thin and reedy sound of a Taylor.   

(Honestly the only Taylor I've ever liked the sound of is the Cedar topped X14 models and the LKSM.)

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 01:08:06 PM »

Considering the plethora of "signature" models they have, how much lower can they stoop?  What's next?...  The Elmo model? Captain Kangaroo?  Underdog?  I'm not saying they don't turn out some nice boxes, but really...

Dude, you're dating yourself...Underdog? How's about SpongeBob, or Homer Simpson...

(Sad thing is, I remember all the ones you mentioned!)

(The Rev) Mikeymac

My Larrivees (left-handed):     1992 OM-05     2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top     2009 RS-4 w/Larrivee humbuckers in Rootbeer Burst    
2010 RS-2 w/P-90's in Amber satin    2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
J. Hunter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »

Saw the picture of the new Martin and though sure, they can make a guitar look like a Taylor, but can they duplicate the thin and reedy sound of a Taylor.   

(Honestly the only Taylor I've ever liked the sound of is the Cedar topped X14 models and the LKSM.)

Hilarious, and too true. 

Larrivee L-03R TF
Martin 00-15
Alhambra 7fc
Am. Stand. Telecaster
mas music

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »

As much as I can tell the neck joint and bracing are a martin design but virtually everything else is a Taylor knockoff. The pick guard, nut with, neck shape, preamp controlls, infact the all new "Grand Performance " body style looks  just like Taylors signature Grand Auditorium . In  fairness I should mention that I am a fan of the Martin sound and this might well  be a terrific guitar. Never the less the idea of Martin ripping off Taylor just doesn't sit well with me. 

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 150e 12 String
* Makala Baritone Ukulele
AgeOfEmpires

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:14:19 AM »

Dude, you're dating yourself...Underdog? How's about SpongeBob, or Homer Simpson...

(Sad thing is, I remember all the ones you mentioned!)

Underdog can take SpongeBob all day long...everyday.
L1D1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 06:28:18 AM »

Geez you found one more than me.
J. Hunter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 08:55:55 AM »

Geez you found one more than me.

And me, actually.  Taylors are characterless, predictable, and over-hyped.  All due credit to Mr. Taylor for raising the bar on quality control in guitar manufacturing, and advancing some innovative construction and marketing ideas, but Martin can only improve on their sound. 

This, however. marks my third post in a row in which I've bad mouthed (typed) Taylors.  I'm not sure why that is, but I will stop now.  People will start to think that I've joined an anti-Taylor lobby or something.

Incidentally, if anyone knows of any anti-Taylor lobbies looking for new members, please contact me at whatswrongwithmakingaguitarthatsoundsgood?@hotmail.com

Larrivee L-03R TF
Martin 00-15
Alhambra 7fc
Am. Stand. Telecaster
J. Hunter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 09:04:35 AM »

Joking aside, Taylors are fine instruments, and I apologize to, what I'm sure are the many proud Taylor owners on the forum.  They're not my cup of tea, but there's no questioning their quality, and I've even contemplated acquiring one or two on occasion myself.  May still do (probably not, but may).

It's well pointed out here that there can be few greater compliments than to have the company that's been the bench mark in acoustic guitar making since the beginning take cues from your products, regardless of the market share considerations motivating them.

Larrivee L-03R TF
Martin 00-15
Alhambra 7fc
Am. Stand. Telecaster
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: