Univox ES-335

Started by ducktrapper, April 10, 2010, 03:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I bought this in 1979 for $450.00. I just got it back after having a technician install a Tonepro tune-a-matic bridge and giving it a setup. I changed the machine heads to Grovers and put on the heavier Tonepro trapeze tailpiece. The guitar is working very well. Sometimes, it really pays to upgrade with after market items.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Here's the headstock with the old tulip buttons. I was slightly disappointed when they wouldn't fit the new Grovers.

Duck it sure looks fine how's it compare to the Gibby 335

I dream often of Larrivee doing one of these models
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on April 10, 2010, 04:38:55 PM
Duck it sure looks fine how's it compare to the Gibby 335

I dream often of Larrivee doing one of these models

It would be very cool if Larrivée built something like it or a semi hollow Gretsch. Now you've given me GAS!
I've seen a lot of Univox's (I have two) and some of them, well most of them, are kind of dumpy. This one, however, is almost the spitting image of the Gibson it's copying, a 1958 ES-335 TD I believe, in looks and in playability etc. It wasn't exactly cheap in 1979 even though it was about half what the real thing would have cost. I've always found it did the job. Most people think it's a Gibson, at a glance. I've always meant to upgrade the hardware and such and have finally gotten around to it.  
There's a website dedicated to these guitars and I don't see anything like this one. The other one I have is a very nice copy of a Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Jr. I've souped that one up a bit too. Fun with cheap(er) guitars!

http://www.univox.org/

:nice guitar: Tom, ho by the way we made the series by the back door. :arrow

Pierre

:guitar
FIII LS 03 MH #74      Charlotte
LS 09 FM                    Ari
Moisan OM                  Unique

Very very nice most were bolt on neck modals.I had a Univox tele copy that had a carved eagle in and two uncovered humbuckers,wish I keeped it.Also had a nice P-bass an a cool 50 watt tube amp head and a 2x12 cab.Also owned those big -CENSORED- blue PAcabs.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on April 10, 2010, 10:01:10 PM
Very very nice most were bolt on neck modals.I had a Univox tele copy that had a carved eagle in and two uncovered humbuckers,wish I keeped it.Also had a nice P-bass an a cool 50 watt tube amp head and a 2x12 cab.Also owned those big -CENSORED- blue PAcabs.

Yeah, it's got to be pretty rare as there's nothing like it on that Univox site. I emailed him some pics. Is the neck mortise and tenon? It's hung in pretty well for 32 years. The Grovers are a delight. (You wouldn't know where I could get tulip buttons to fit them would you? The new bridge and talipiece have improved it a lot, I believe. I was playing and really enjoying it it last night.  While I watched those stupid Habs back into the playoffs.
I can't see them doing much Pierre but ... On y va! N'est-ce pas?