Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 years in Texas >>>>>Now on east coast???  (Read 721 times)
Wrangler

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2010, 02:22:09 AM »

My new old Larrivee spent the first 10 years of it's life in Texas. I live in the mid east coast. If you were me would you use a guitar humidifier now?
Or wait a while for it to aclimate to its' new envirnment. The whole guitar is real tight - no cracks, stress at joints, finish bubble or lift anywhere.
I'd like to keep it looking good and healthy for the long haul. Just not sure what to do. Luckily it is summer weather here on the east coast now, so I should be fine initially.
It is humid on the east coast probably more than Texas at least in the summer. Now winter is a different story.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:27:45 AM »

What state you in? Coast of Carolina pretty much like you said. Plenty humid from about now into fall. A few months in winter I keep humidifier running as needed. Inland or by coast makes a difference too. Not just because of moisture from ocean but because it keeps temps warmer than inland.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:36:07 AM »

Let it settle in for a few weeks.After that the simple rule is if your comfy your guitar should be.If its really humid get a dehumidifier set it 50% and all should be fine.In the winter forced air heating can dry a guitar out but a simple in case humidifier should do the trick.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:40:37 AM »

Since Texas is as big...excuse me BIGGER than France, which area were you in for 10 years?  Out west and up north you can get pretty dried out. East and south is more tropical and along the coast it is flat out wringing wet.
   I'm in the middle of Texas and we have fairly heavy humidity year round, nothing like the coast but still fairly uncomfortable in the spring and summer. In the winter a forced air furnace can dry out wood very fast. Watch where you leave the guitar sitting or hanging on a wall.
   Even with my home maintaining 45% RH this winter my F-III got a bit dry because of where it was located on a wall. Which was far from a supply air vent, but was still getting the airflow right on it from a high sidewall grille across the room from where it was.
    I keep four or five hygrometers spread around the house and check them a few times every day, because I like some of my guitars out on stands or walls.
     If I'm not mistaken these chunks of wood and steel were made to be played.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Wrangler

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:45:08 PM »

I bough it used from Texas - It's reasonably humid summers here on the east coast and dry in the winters.
I don't know what it was subjected to in Texas but it seems to have survived quite well. I hope I have the same kind of luck for the next 10 years

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: