acoustic amplifier recommendations?

Started by boden, March 31, 2010, 11:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

After recently acquiring my OM-09e (which is fab; well it will be after it's first set-up anyway!) I am gutted and frustrated that my Marshall AS80R acoustic amp decided to develop a fault on the acoustic channel (not good timing!) and now just makes a load hissing noise.

So, I'm going to try and get it fixed as it's quite a good amp that I've had for years but if that's a no-go I need to find another acoustic amp.

Unfortunately, my budget is not very big (since I recently spent any money I had on the OM-09). I would be very grateful for any ideas for what amp to look out for. When trying the OM-09 prior to purchase the shop had a Schertler David which sounded really nice but maybe a big pricey.

I would need the amp to have at least 2 channels so that I can plug in a microphone and guitar as I sometimes do solo gigs.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks! Donuts anyone?  :donut :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee
Currently own:
Larrivee OM-09e
Yamaha APX4a
Ibanez 2453 1977 Howard Roberts
Fender Highway One strat
Vox AGA70 acoustic amp
Fender Deluxe VM 40W valve amp
and other stuff.............

At last I own a 'proper' acoustic! If only I could play it!

I play through a Fender Acoustasonic Jr., which has 2 inputs, that I got used for about two fitty.  The tone is great, but man is this thing loud.  I'm currently looking to trade it for something smaller, so I'd recommend smaller if you play in your house with an amp.  I like the idea of the Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr.  Sells for $450 new online and has the removable pre-amp thing.  I owned a Ibanez Troubadour 35 previously and loved it.

P.S. If anyone in AZ wants to trade amps 1 to 1....
Larrivee L-04Re
Gibson ES125
Lanakai Concert Acoustic/Electric Uke (eh, Plugged in it sounds good)

I'm absolutely sold on Ultrasound amps. 

Hi

I have a small but powerful amp - Roland AC-65, there is a little bit bigger one model # AC-90.  Can be put on stand on on the floor.  Check it out!

:+1:
"Larrivee, I'm lovin' it!"

Hard to beat Ultrasound amps for value.
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I've been doing a little research on a few low budget amps lately myself. For a fantastic sounding, low budget acoustic amp, I found that Genz Benz Shenandoah is a good choice for the money. That would be my pick
cheers
fongie

Quote from: yosephroth on March 31, 2010, 12:59:11 PM
  I owned a Ibanez Troubadour 35 previously and loved it.
P.S. If anyone in AZ wants to trade amps 1 to 1....

I have one too great amps for under 3 bills, really nice acoustic sound with and XLR out too, at least the older ones had it. They are very nice for cheap.

I wouldn't highly recommend any amp per se, but get a PA with good base specs if you have the coin, you'll never look back.

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

This may seem off the wall BUT if money is a big consideration and versatility is a consideration too try a Peavey KBA 30 or 50.  It has 4 inputs, a dedicated mic channel, and a dedicated acoustic  instrument channel, all in a small package.  Works good as a light bass amp too.  Very versatile.  The sound is really surprising.  I have both the 30 and 50 and use them a lot in small venues, often even putting a base through the amp along with my guitar.  FWIW, give one a try.  You can often find them used for really cheap.  And they seem bullet proof.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Personally, I don't really understand "acoustic" amplifiers. I use a Fender Passport PD250. Functions nicely as a small P.A. and acoustic guitar amplifier but also doubles as a pretty decent stereo in my music room. Just as portable and twice as useful, imho. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 02, 2010, 10:48:32 AM
Personally, I don't really understand "acoustic" amplifiers. I use a Fender Passport PD250. Functions nicely as a small P.A. and acoustic guitar amplifier but also doubles as a pretty decent stereo in my music room. Just as portable and twice as useful, imho. 

+1 PA is the way to go for the clean sound acoustic amplification craves.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Anyone heard of a Crate CA6110D Gunnison amp? Made in USA with chinese components, 60 watter, nice review on Harmony Central and very cheap. I'm checking one out today for sale in the papers secondhand.
cheers
fongie

Check out Doyle Dykes on youtube. If you like his sound he uses a Rivera Sedona mic'd through a PA. Heard him live two weeks ago. Very nice sound. Personally I agree with going straight to a PA. Acoustic guitars with a subtle stereo chorus sounds very nice to my ears.
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D35 Maury Muhlheison
2010 Martin D21- Special
2011 Martin HD-18V Custom
2012 Martin OMM John Renbourn

Quote from: webberink on April 02, 2010, 10:40:23 AM
This may seem off the wall BUT if money is a big consideration and versatility is a consideration too try a Peavey KBA 30 or 50.  It has 4 inputs, a dedicated mic channel, and a dedicated acoustic  instrument channel, all in a small package.  Works good as a light bass amp too.  Very versatile.  The sound is really surprising.  I have both the 30 and 50 and use them a lot in small venues, often even putting a base through the amp along with my guitar.  FWIW, give one a try.  You can often find them used for really cheap.  And they seem bullet proof.
Dave
I had a KB100.  Actually, I left it at the pub where I had a weekly open mic.  It was the main amp...  I ran my acoustic (through an Ultrasound PAMM), a mic (Audix OM-5 usually), and my electric (through several pedals and a looper).  Great amp...  I hated moving the thing.  It weighed a ton!  When the pub closed, I sold the amp.
Quote from: ducktrapper on April 02, 2010, 10:48:32 AM
For acoustic (in a small to medium room), I'm not after stereo (and I have decent stereo equipment for home).  An Ultrasound AG50 is good for up to a medium room.  As clean as clean can be and has mic and instrument inputs.  If I'm playing a bigger place, I have a PA setup to use.

YMMV
Ed

I have a Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr that has 2 channels that mix together under a single EQ, 1 xlr input and two  1/4" input, 35 watt, plus reverb, echo, chorus, tremolo, flanger and combo effects, 10" woofer and tweeter. It is a great little amp.
I just replaced it though with a Genz Benz Shenandoah  100 watt version that has a 12" woofer, the main reason for upgrading was the full EQ and the xlr and 1/4" input on each channel.
Both have outputs on the back but the 100 has pre and post eq outputs.
I would like to try an Ultrasound someday, only heard good things about them.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

If budget is a big concern, then take the lead of several folks in this thread and go to your local music store and play your guitar through a keyboard amplifier.

Note that 'Acoustic guitar amps' all try to look the same (for the most part).  Here's what you'll get:  A full range amp and speaker (like a keyboard amp), with fewer input channels (than a keyboard amp), brown tolex cover and tweed looking grille material (unlike a keyboard amp which will almost assuredly be black in both cases).

You'll not be disappointed in using a keyboard amp to amplify your acoustic guitar.  Normally more PA-like features than so-called acoustic guitar amplifiers.  Both types of amps are designed to be full-frequency range systems.  Unlike electric guitar amps, which have intentional non-flat response (usually mid-range heavy) and have the unneeded boost channels on them.

Just because keyboard amps aren't labeled as acoustic guitar amps doesn't mean it functions poorly when used that way.  My K+K on my Larry sounds absolutely delightful through the church's keyboard amplifier - as it well should.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: Michael T on April 02, 2010, 12:15:14 PM
+1 PA is the way to go for the clean sound acoustic amplification craves.

+1, I use the Yamaha Stagepass 500, the 300 model is cheaper and quite nice as well.