Looky here!

Started by ducktrapper, March 26, 2010, 08:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whoa! Nice guitar but I'll take 1-RS4 and 2-RS'2's and still have a couple of
Benjamins left over! :nanadance :nana_guitar

Mac
Mac Baker

You have to hand it to Gibson (and Fender); they keep finding new ways to re-market the Les Paul (and the Strat 'n' Tele)...and I'm sure they'll sell all 500 of those eventually, even in this market.

I'm thankful that someone let us in on this little 'Larrivee' secret weapon electric guitar...it's like a stealth, undercover Les Paul killer! (Hope that phrase doesn't offend anyone.)

I have a Made in Japan Epiphone Elitist Les Paul - it's a very well made guitar with excellent pickups...they're hotter than the RS-4's, but they still have lots of character and work well with the volume and tone knobs (like the RS-4's controls).  It's all the Les Paul I'll ever need, and quite frankly, it's a lot nicer than a fair number of USA made LP Standards...

...but love my RS-4...it is a professional level instrument that makes me play better - the notes and tones you can pull out of these instruments is amazing. I don't think anything would really feel like a step up from this guitar.

(And I think you could get TWO RS-4's - AND - ONE RS-2 for that MF price...but I doubt that will convince my wife to agree to the deal!)
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

This item ships FREE! I'm buying 2. Yea at some point Gibson's prices just got silly. my Epiphone Sheriton with 57 classics does just fine thank you, at less than 1/6 the price including new p/u's.
In fact I think I'll get it out.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Let's ignore the price comparison for a second and just compare the gits and see how they stack up one on one:

1. - Average weight: 6.5 lb.  ??? da ya think there might be a cheese hole or two

2. - Nut Material: nylon 6/6 , Slots: cut by PLEK system

3. - Tuners -Tuning ratio: 12:1 -  no tension screw, not good for those who stretch notes.

4. - Bridge - Material: zinc surrounded by nickel alloy

5. - Tailpiece -  aluminum  YES THIS COULD be NICE

6. - long neck tenon

7. -  caps - fake "bumblebee" tone caps

8. - Finish: nitrocellulose lacquer certainly won't outlast the Poly

9. - strap buttons - aluminum  - Ha!!

10. - pots - 500k audio taper

11. - Body type: non-chambered

Control or pickup cavities not shield coated.

Switch wiring approach,type and style inferior to Larrivee.

No offense to The Gibsonites and The Cork-sniffers BUT this guitar is not in the same league as the RS4, it just isn't. There is no way the wood is the Larrivee equal nor the PUPS. They are inferior to PAF whether you have Lollar or Larrivee PUPS the RS 4's are nicer. Other than the tailpiece and the Case, The 60's style Les Paul is inferior in every way even if the price was the same AND IT'S NOT BY A LONG SHOT!!!!

THE rs 4 IS THE BEST DEAL ON THE MARKET TODAY IN ELECTRIC GUITARS i DEFY ANYONE TO SHOW ME ONE BETTER!!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

JOYCEfromNS,

Excellent comparison on "BUILD SPECS,ELECTRONICS AND HARDWARE" between this LES PAUL
and the RS-4! :thumb

I agree with your comment:THE rs 4 IS THE BEST DEAL ON THE MARKET TODAY IN ELECTRIC GUITARS i DEFY ANYONE TO SHOW ME ONE BETTER!!! :beer

Here's a cold one for your efforts in this post! :cheers

Mac

Mac Baker

Joyce - Well, I think that's what I was getting at. Pretty, not as good, more than twice as much. I'll take my RS-4.  :thumb

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 27, 2010, 07:00:48 AM
Joyce - Well, I think that's what I was getting at. Pretty, not as good, more than twice as much. I'll take my RS-4.  :thumb

I gotta wonder if there is one RS 4 owner out there who may also own a Les Paul that can rationally compare the two gits and come to a different conclusion. Now I am talking Les Pauls from the last 10 or 15 years. i sincerely doubt one exists

I am maybe a bit naive but am amazed still that the RS4 is priced as low as it is, is still generally seen by "experienced" players to be inferior to the Les paul because of the name on the headstock!!!!

The wood, hardware and custom shop quality craftsmanship on the RS4 has really produced a better guitar than the Les Paul. If you really know electric guitars and their makeup and what details separate a middle of the road from a top tier I urge you to have a look at the RS4 if you haven't already. If you don't know the details then take it to an objective person that you know that does and who doesn't get wrapped up in a name on the headstock and let them opinion on this top tier electric guitar that is priced at lower to mid tier. As I stated above I try to be objective and unbiased I just don't know of a better deal in the electric guitar world than the RS4. i fully realize this is a Larrivee Forum and to a degree we luv everything Larrivee but I try to set that aside. This guitar deserves a look by the masses and i am afraid for some reason whether it's marketing or incentives or somthing else it's not reaching them - and that is a shame for them.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 29, 2010, 09:01:32 PM
I gotta wonder if there is one RS 4 owner out there who may also own a Les Paul that can rationally compare the two gits and come to a different conclusion. Now I am talking Les Pauls from the last 10 or 15 years. i sincerely doubt one exists

That was where I was going with my comparison above (below  :rolleye:):

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 26, 2010, 06:06:13 PM
I have a Made in Japan Epiphone Elitist Les Paul - it's a very well made guitar with excellent pickups...they're hotter than the RS-4's, but they still have lots of character and work well with the volume and tone knobs (like the RS-4's controls).  It's all the Les Paul I'll ever need, and quite frankly, it's a lot nicer than a fair number of USA made LP Standards...
...but love my RS-4...it is a professional level instrument that makes me play better - the notes and tones you can pull out of these instruments is amazing. I don't think anything would really feel like a step up from this guitar.

While my Elitist isn't a made in USA "Les Paul" I feel it is equal to most of the ones I've played in materials and build quality and tone (and it has a long neck tenon which is usually reserved for more expensive Pauls)! So I don't think it's out of line to compare it to the RS-4...although the purchase price for the Elitist was around $1,050 five-six years ago.

The RS-4 certainly wins in the beauty department, since my Elistist is gloss black - no wood showing anywhere. The hardware of the Elitist is good, but not as good as the RS-4 because of the RS-4's Schaller tuners and Tone Pros bridge. Both guitars also have a poly finish rather than nitro.

Tone is subjective, and I've already mentioned that above and in other posts on this forum, so I'll just say both guitars sound great, but a little different. I attribute this to the different scale lengths and the hotter pickups in the Elitist.  I can honestly say I love the tone of both guitars for what they do.

The final place where the RS-4 pulls out in front is in playability - this is because of the quality of the set-up and neck/fretwork. I've always had problems with a few buzzy frets on the Elitist...if I get a little careless, I get some buzzing. I've tried to set it up myself to get rid of the buzzing, but I can't quite get there without the action higher than I like. I took it to a tech a few years ago for a setup, and he seemed to get rid of the buzz, but eventually it was back.  Maybe it just needs a good fret level.

The RS-4 is definitely a step or two above my Elitist, and also above most standard LP's I've run across in stores. Considering the quality of the parts and workmanship on the RS-4, it's amazing that it didn't cost a lot more.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992