Is this a Larrivee P-90 pickup?

Started by Mikeymac, March 19, 2010, 02:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I posted this in another thread here, but it deserves it's own thread...

Does this Charcoal burst have Larrivee P-90's in it? If so, they're humbucker sized. I see one set of pole pieces right in the middle of the pickup...so are these P-90's or something else?

Sorry the pic is so small; it's from a Larrivee Facebook page photo album (also included whole pic).

[attachment deleted by admin]
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

looks like like Gibson's P-94 or Duncan's Phat Cat.   Both are P-90 clones made to fit in the humbucker slot.

just a guess though.   I may have been wrong in the past, and could be again.
Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass

Quote from: KenHolden on March 19, 2010, 03:42:25 PM
I may have been wrong in the past, and could be again.

I resemble that remark!  :humour:

I'm curious, though...still waiting for someone 'in the know' to chime in and help us out here!  :?

Jason? Matthew? Anyone?

Those are indeed the Larrivee HB's exposed with no covers! This was confirmed by
Matthew and he also insured me that the P-90's will have covers either creme or
black! :thumb

Mac
Mac Baker

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 19, 2010, 02:16:03 PM
I posted this in another thread here, but it deserves it's own thread...

Does this Charcoal burst have Larrivee P-90's in it? If so, they're humbucker sized. I see one set of pole pieces right in the middle of the pickup...so are these P-90's or something else?

Sorry the pic is so small; it's from a Larrivee Facebook page photo album (also included whole pic).

Those are a set of Lollar P-94's. P-90's in a humbucker shell.

Bel,

Unless Matt was on medication :wacko: the day me and him were e-mailing he
mentioned absolutely nothing about a new P-90 in a humbucker shell! He specifically
said that the P-90's used for the RS-2's would have covers and that the Humbucker's
used for the RS-2's would not have the normal pickup covers that you get with the
RS-4 with the Larrivee Humbuckers!

The choice to go with no covers on the HB's is purely to keep the cost down on the
RS-2's! That is probably the only place that Larrivee cut any corners on the RS-2 that
will have no effect on the tone of the RS-2 other than the solid mahogany body versus
the Flamed Maple top on the RS-4!

Mac
Mac Baker

The above photo is of an RS-4, not an RS-2 :> I'm familiar with the guitar in question

I wasn't thinking clearly after I posted this...there are pictures of some P-90's on Larrivee's website/electrics page...and they're standard looking P-90's with cream covers.

So I tend to think you're right that those are some P-94's or something on that Charcoal RS-4...

...I assume that soon we will see some pictures of RS-2's with P-90's - after Larrivee does a run of them.

P94's are humbucker pickups that fit in a P90 casing.P90's{my personal fav pu} are high impedance single coil pickups.Unlike Fender pu's which are low impedance single coil pu's.Though Fralin makes a P92 which is a P90 in a humbucker casing.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

My bad I've never seen these pickups before also I confused the P94 with the P100.Please forgive my lack of knowledge about this pickup.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

bel,

You are correct about the guitar being a RS-4!But about them being P-94's I believe you are
incorrect on that still!

I don't really care to hash this out with you but I can definitely tell you that Matthew and Jean aren't going to
use any other pickups by another brand! They are only going to use Larrivee custom built pickups which
are currently P-90's and HB's! If you still doubt this contact Matthew at "info@larrivee.com"! :beer

Mac
Mac Baker

Quote from: bel on March 26, 2010, 09:57:53 PM
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/P-94/

The pickups in the Charcoal RS-4 do look like those Gibby P-94s (see pic below - sorry it's so small)...that's why I was hoping someone "in the know" (Matthew?) would chime in.

That particular guitar is a little bit older (2008 ish), before the transition to the new pickup. Thats why it has the lollars. They were a sample set, and just done for the sake of trying them out.

Quote from: bel on March 27, 2010, 12:31:35 PM
That particular guitar is a little bit older (2008 ish), before the transition to the new pickup. Thats why it has the lollars. They were a sample set, and just done for the sake of trying them out.

Thanks, bel; mystery solved!

Here's a link to them on Lollar's website:

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LGP&Product_Code=265&Category_Code=humbucker-pickups

And a pick of one...