Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does the description TIGHT mean ?  (Read 5379 times)
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 01:40:52 PM »

Lush - Similar to opulent, a luxuriant wine that coats the palate with forward, pretty flavors. Not austere or closed up.
Grip - Great wines have grip on the palate, a sense of texture and traction that grabs your palate and gives the other flavors in the wine balance. This usually results from the wine's structure of acid and/or tannin. Without grip, a wine will feel flabby, simple or juicy.

I always thought they were talking about the handle on the box.

And let's not even discuss "Lush".
And I guess that brings us full circle back to "tight".  blush
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »

If the guitar sounds good to you, why does it matter what someone else thinks?
 If the tech never mentioned the descriptor, tight, would the guitar still have a quality you hope would go away as it aged?

short answer - because what sounds good to me now may not sound good to me later as my
                      musical abilities continue to improve...as they have over the past 2 years of my steel string adventure.

cop    warning, long answer follows, proceed at your own risk  bigrin

It DOES NOT matter to me what MOST people think, since I like the guitar a lot right now...
   (and I'm an amateur - not dependent on pleasing the public to make a living).

It DOES matter to me what my tech thinks -because

- he is an expert- especially on the Martin sound - and that is the sound I prefer
    - he has an exceptional EAR for tone - probably 30-40 years of experience helps
          I've only been involved with the acoustic steel string tone for about 2 years now-
          my EAR for tone is still developing

- some things he told me about TONE and guitar construction two years did not mean anything to me then
      because I did not know the difference between a saddle and a bridge-
      back then I could not distinquish between a 'Martin sound' and a 'Taylor sound' for example.

I've grown musically and my EAR for tone has improved.  

GUITARS THAT I USED TO THINK SOUNDED GREAT SOUND PRETTY BAD TO ME NOW.  

I'm now better able to identify what tone I like in a guitar and what materials, construction methods etc
           tend to produce that tone.

I know now that things he told me were true and I have confidence in him.
      His advice has always turned out good for me.
      For example the adjustments and modifications he has made to my guitars have always turned out good.

At first, my EAR might not hear the difference his ear could hear -
         but over time my ability to hear the difference has developed and I came to appreciate his advice
         and the improvements he made to my guitars.

Right now, I'm not sure my ear and tell that my guitar is a 'little' TIGHT (as my tech can hear)
             (maybe if it was a LOT tight I could)
        but as I continue to grow and improve I think I probably will at some point in the near future.

THEN IT WILL MATTER TO ME IF MY GUITAR IS  ' TIGHT ' NOW ONLY BECAUSE IT IS NEW.
      IF SO, THEN IT WILL IMPROVE AND SOUND EVEN BETTER TO ME.

IF IT IS ' TIGHT ' BECAUSE OF MATERIALS OR CONSTRUCTION AND IT STAYS THAT WAY
      THEN IT MIGHT MATTER ENOUGH TO ME WHEN I CAN REALLY HEAR THE DIFFERENCE
      THAT I MIGHT WANT TO SHOP FOR ANOTHER GUITAR.

So the day may come when I say,
           'man this guitar sure sounds tight' and it has stayed that way.  I think I'll shop for something else.'

or I may say, 'Wow, this guitar sure has opened up over time. It sounds better than ever.'

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
SeattlePete

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »

If it sounds tight, play some blues!  If you're disappointed your guitar sounds tight, you already have some material for writing.

Tight is a very ambiguous descriptor to me.  Tight vocals are definitely good.  I guess I think less resonance, and overtone and harmonic content when someone says tight about a guitar.

But what do I know?  I don't even have my Larrivee yet...  (on the truck!)

-Pete
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 06:35:38 PM »

Listen to my new guitar and describe the TONE you hear using terms like
tight, open, metalic, woody, dark, warm, rich, airy, thin, full, lush, sweet, bright, tinny, overtones, rich, complex, punchy, snappy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm5XjYzi5LA  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umVR6U8HwiM   (using travis style I recently learned)

There may not be enough quality in the recording to tell - but give it a try  bigrin

(sorry, my only recording equipment is the video mode on my cheap digital camera)
I've only been playing solo melodies like this a short while so I know I have a long way to go - but I'm enjoying the journey  bigrin

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: