How many bass players here!!!

Started by unclrob, March 14, 2010, 04:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have played bass since 1969 Owned all sorts of bass's just wondering if any of you also play bass.Right now I've only got one bass left and I still gig on it.Guild Starfire with a replaced pickup.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

UnclRob, I love to play bass, I was told it is very easy to learn, is that true? Are there any tips you have for beginners?

I love to play bass. There's nothing like setting the groove behind a good bunch of players that know how to skate around the pocket.

My 4 string fretted

and the 6 string fretless

Ron

I play bass. Actually performed on bass before guitar, but learned guitar first. After my first public band disintegrated, I switched back to guitar primarily because is was difficult to serenade a pretty girl at the beach with a bass. However, owned my Fender P-Bass up to last year when I sold her. After paying less than $500 back in the 70's, I was pleased to get over $2K since it was "collectable".

I went without a bass for a year, but just last week picked up a 1988 Carvin LB75. I'm sending it over to Carvin next week to replace some faulty electronics, new strings, and a proper set up.

Just to mention, Carvins customer service is top notch. Talked with a tech that actually knew something and to do the aforementioned work is only about $150 and some shipping. The only electronics they are not replacing are the pick ups. After telling him the volume and balance pots are scratchy, the end jack made noise, and the bass boost didn't seem to be working, he said he would try to clean the pots and replace the jack. But, he could replace the entire board for $109 so it may just be worth doing it.

Anyway, heres a couple pics. Maple through body neck, Koa wings, ebony fretboard, stacked humbucker pick ups, and Hipshot bridge.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

me.  Here is the Larrivee branch of the family:

The five string fretless acoustic was designed as an E-A-D-G-C deal.  From 1989.  Mike Manring has one like it - only other one I know of.  Rosewood/ Sitka.  Kind of a B-09 custom in today's  terms.  Used to also have five and six (fretless) electric Larrivees. I would give almost anything to find that 6er - fretless in a deep blue with gold hardware, active electronics. Amazingly beautiful.  if    anyone ever sees it pm me.  Sold it in a time of fiscal crisis.   :crying:

I have had everything else through the years from a Stick (10) to uprights to MM, to Rics to Fenders, to you name it.  These are the guys on the wall in my office.

fongie I'm working with a new bass player in one of the electric bands I'm playing with.Though he has played for few years mostley he's been told what to play and I want someone to put themself into the music.Best place to to work from the root note until you get the feel then add a 4th or a 5th for a more rythmatic feel.There are tone's of instructional tapes out there.I like the one's from homesuntapes.My style come's mainly from Jack Cassidy and Felix Papalardy{I'm sure this is spelt wrong,he was the bass player for Mountian and the enginneer fot the Cream recordings.He's the guy that talk Clapton into playing thru a Lesilie speaker on Badge}.I play chords and finger style.

Corky the only 5 string bass I ever had was a Guild Pilot with that high C tuning great for soloing.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I almost feel guilty posting this here, but my bass is a $119 SX Custom P-Bass copy.  I bought it because I was tired of my keyboard-based bass lines that just never had the right sound.  This thing does a pretty bang-up job for this pick-using bass player.  The back of the neck is a nice and pretty figured maple.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I would love to learn how to play bass someday.  I have two Larrivee LB-2 electric bass guitars.  I haven't been spending to much time on them because, I have been focusing primarily on my RS-4.
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

Bass playing is somewhat akin to playing any instrument. There are many styles and levels to aspire to. To be very good you need to put in a lot of time.

You can bounce off the root note, like a grass mountain hobo, by picking it up and having at it. If you want to play like Jaco or Victor Wooten it will take some time.

To become a decent bass player you must have a good sense of time. You also must be able to flow with the music, understand how it moves and anticipate where it is going. Since the bass is generally responsible for setting the groove, hesitation stands out and breaks the flow. Timing is more important than the right note.

Another pursuit that will take a life time to master...
Ron

Rockstar-not the SX stuff is really not bad stuff.I've done a few setups on them and they always play great.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I play bass when I record. The thing with bass is that it's as difficult or as easy as you want it to be. You interested in selling either of those Larri basses, Cybercanyon?   

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 15, 2010, 10:52:13 AM
I play bass when I record. The thing with bass is that it's as difficult or as easy as you want it to be. You interested in selling either of those Larri basses, Cybercanyon?   

Not at this time ducktrapper.  You never know though when things can change.
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

Thanks for that URob and Ron
cheers
fongie

I used to play Bass for a little acoustic combo, along with some harmonica, but that little gig has fallen through (band politics :rolleye:). Its a Korean Aria with active PJ pickups. Plays pretty nice and gets a great sound. But seeing Im not using it anymore its for sale along with my bass amp (in Australia) to help fund a ....... P-03!!  :nana_guitar

One good thing about playing bass, when you go back to your guitar playing seems effortless!

Are you reading this Greg? (Dreamyguitar) Show 'em your basses!  :thumbsup

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

I just have an unpretentious Japanese P-bass. Very close to a Fender but a lot cheaper. It's hiding in this pic somewhere.

I have a bass. I only play it when I'm recording something by myself. Never underestimate the value of a GOOD bass player.  They are rare and make a huge difference.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on March 16, 2010, 05:55:47 AM
I have a bass. I only play it when I'm recording something by myself. Never underestimate the value of a GOOD bass player.  They are rare and make a huge difference.

Amen. I always say, if you want to work as a musician, play the bass. Even very average players get work.

Ron are those black strings the tape wound or the black plated one's?Also arethose flatwounds are your 6 string?

The bass player I'm working with now just got a Hofner Ion Bass{Beatle bass made in China}.Really nice bass lite weight and after a setup very low action with a good bottom bass tone.He also picked up a GK made in China bass amp with 2x10's and a horn,500 watts and it weighs nothing even I can pick it up with one bad arm.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on March 16, 2010, 07:54:18 AM
Ron are those black strings the tape wound or the black plated one's?Also arethose flatwounds are your 6 string?

Hi Rob,

The strings on the Lado are Fender tape wound. I find that they provide most of the definition of regular strings with a much smoother feel and less finger noise.

The 6 string is loaded with flat wounds. I am looking for new strings and it is proving difficult. It is an extra long scale with body through anchor. D'Addario and LaBella are too short. 
Ron