RS-2 fret buzz

Started by bigonpig, June 17, 2012, 08:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've got some buzzing coming from the 5th and 6th strings on my RS-2, starting around the 2nd or 3rd fret. I loosened the truss rod a bit then checked again--now the buzz has just moved down to the 6th fret. Do I keep loosening the truss rod or raise the bridge? Both? Neither? I haven't done these adjustments before so I'm not quite sure how to proceed  :?.
LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2

Hi, I'm not really an expert on this subject but usually you want to check fret height with a straight edge, checking nut action and neck relief before you adjust the truss rod. I can't really say what is going on or what you should do other than possibly taking it to a good tech in your area especially if you haven't done this kind of work before. Here is a page that talks about how to set up a guitar and what you need to check but if you haven't done it before or are unsure about doing it yourself I would think about taking it to someone to have a complete setup done. You can even ask them if you can watch and see what adjustments they make.

http://tclutherie.hypermart.net/setup/

Thanks for the info Icedlatte. I didn't want to take it one but I think that I will have to. I appreciate the link.  :cheers
LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2

Quote from: Icedlatte on June 17, 2012, 05:02:10 PM
I can't really say what is going on or what you should do other than possibly taking it to a good tech in your area especially if you haven't done this kind of work before. Here is a page that talks about how to set up a guitar and what you need to check but if you haven't done it before or are unsure about doing it yourself I would think about taking it to someone to have a complete setup done. You can even ask them if you can watch and see what adjustments they make.

I agree with this advice. It's just about impossible to diagnose and "fix" a problem like this over the internet. A good tech can sort things out in a few minutes, unless there are bigger issues, like high or low frets; those take a little longer (but if your guitar is under warranty, they should be addressed by the store where you bought the guitar at no cost to you - my local dealer does free set-ups for one year).

But it most cases it just needs a simple set-up, including nut slots, truss rod adjustment, bridge adjustment and setting the intonation.  You should have this work done with your favorite set of strings available, so everything will be in spec for how you play.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 19, 2012, 09:22:10 AM
I agree with this advice. It's just about impossible to diagnose and "fix" a problem like this over the internet. A good tech can sort things out in a few minutes, unless there are bigger issues, like high or low frets; those take a little longer (but if your guitar is under warranty, they should be addressed by the store where you bought the guitar at no cost to you - my local dealer does free set-ups for one year).

But it most cases it just needs a simple set-up, including nut slots, truss rod adjustment, bridge adjustment and setting the intonation.  You should have this work done with your favorite set of strings available, so everything will be in spec for how you play.

:+1:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Good advice all. I'm looking into good techs in my area and hope to find one soon. I bought the guitar used so don't have the dealer option. Thanks for the input.  :thumbsup
LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2