Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Bass from the past  (Read 2682 times)
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2011, 06:48:04 AM »

Hi all,
Came across this on Kijiji Edmonton:  http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-Larrivee-Bass-Guitar-W0QQAdIdZ292157190
Just curious if anyone has one of these basses, knows anything about them, history, etc.  How do they sound/play?  Any comments, pros or cons?  Would these EMG pups be original?  The Drop D lever seems like it would pretty useful.  Also never seen a whammy bar on a bass before.

Kurt

[attachment deleted by admin]

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 09:54:02 AM »

I have several Larrivee Basses from the eighties.  One is almost identical to the one you are referencing.  Mine is an LB-2 Paragon where as the one in your add is an RB-2.  Mine is white with a fixed bridge and EMG active pups.  Most of the 80's Larrivee Basses had EMG Pups with some exceptions.  I never saw one with the drop D lever.  Larrivee made many different style of basses including fretless, carve tops, and even double necked.

Mike

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »

I modified your post to include the picture, since this thread will live forever, but the web link will likely go away soon.

I also have never seen a whammy bar on one before. I notice that the bridge is forward a bit to accomodate it. I wonder how that affects the rest of the guitars  geometry?

I have one of the 80's basses. It plays fine.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Corky

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 06:07:37 PM »

I have two now and have had several others.  At one time I had a 4, a 5, and a 6 string (that one was fretless) as well as my 5 string acoustic.  They are wonderful basses.  Very heavy but that helps with tons of sustain and tone.
tribus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 02:34:22 PM »

I play a Larrivee 5 string fretted - 5 string fretless, neck thru body, electric double neck bass.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 06:43:13 PM »

Also never seen a whammy bar on a bass before.

A number of companies used to make a few basses with a whammy - Ibanez, I think, and I know Carvin did, so there must be some others as well.

One of those fads that came and went...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: