Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee hollow body  (Read 3002 times)
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2010, 11:45:23 PM »

I wonder if larrivee will consider e hollow bodies or do they already have them?
cheers
fongie
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:02:55 AM »

I'd love to see a fully hollow thin body with a single cutaway and P90's.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »

We can only hope so. I have a feeling the more we buy, the more they'll make.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 01:57:52 PM »

Well, they're making carved top mandolins and electric guitars so...we could only hope...

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 02:59:04 PM »

Well, they're making carved top mandolins and electric guitars so...we could only hope...

It does seem like a logical extension doesn't it?? With Larrivee's proven capability in acoustics and their top shelf electrics it seems like a no-brainer BUT there may be hurdles:

- market demand not there for ES type gits right now small market at best

- costs of overheads & capital costs may not make the breakeven attractive

I am ignorant to guitar business and manufacture BUT in my eyes the manufacture part of this equation would be easily attainable by Larrivee and I am sure they would be everything and more BUT it's unlikely the business part makes sense right now for them to do so. If they decide to do so I know I will be fighten hard to be first in line to get a Larrivee Semi blush

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 09:56:01 PM »

A Semi-Body sounds fantastic, since I've been on a search here in Australia for a hollow body, i noticed the interest in these gits are unreal. Especially the old Jap models.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:51:37 PM »

I suspect that if it does happen, it will have to be a couple years down the road - for two reasons: 
#1, they have to develop a foothold in the market with their current solid-body offerings, and these are just getting off the ground (although I believe the less expensive RS-2 will soon pass the RS-4 in sales); and
#2, a hollow body is much more labor intensive - and this is a much smaller and much tougher market area.  IF - and that's a big IF - the other electrics catch on, THEN I'd say the chances of this happening are possible...if they can build it to a reasonable price point like they are with the others.

Collings is having success with this, but they're in a different part of the market, a notch or three above Larrivees in price.

It really depends on whether Jean and Matthew have any passion to build a hollow or semi hollow electric...that's the bottom line.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 11:41:01 PM »

What is with the price thing with Larrivee? Build the best guitar out there and gain some credibility. If it costs 4K so be it, use the better grades woods, the hand wound pick ups name brand top of the line accessories, heck put Stainless or EVO fret wire on it. With JCL's heritage and with an entry level product (RS2) and a mid line in the RS4 put it out there and blow the socks off Collings/Gibson/PRS etc. and charge for it. I bought my DV09 over a Collings , Martin, Taylor play off and would have paid an extra grand for it because it was the better guitar. Heck I never heard of Larrivee before playing that wonderful DV09 and of course I was delighted to save so much, but it almost made me wonder if it was in some way less of a guitar. All this bang for the buck stuff may be more of a detriment than a market niche.

If they do a hollow body I think they should target the best the market can offer and do it better an charge for it proudly..

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

fritferret

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 07:10:48 PM »

i think your assessment is a bit off, imho.  i've played and owned many guitars, and the rs-4 is right up there w/ the best of them (including prs, gibson, and fender).  in fact, i'd say the rs-4 is better than all of them because i prefer its tone and feel over every other guitar i've owned.  so in my opinion, the question isn't why won't larrivee go all out, but rather why are gibson, prs, and the others charging so much more for their inferior, or at best equal, quality intruments?

i hope to be ordering my third rs-4 soon!  rootbeer or cherry, i can't decide!  i'm also crazy about the amberburst and the gold top.  decisions!

What is with the price thing with Larrivee? Build the best guitar out there and gain some credibility. If it costs 4K so be it, use the better grades woods, the hand wound pick ups name brand top of the line accessories, heck put Stainless or EVO fret wire on it. With JCL's heritage and with an entry level product (RS2) and a mid line in the RS4 put it out there and blow the socks off Collings/Gibson/PRS etc. and charge for it. I bought my DV09 over a Collings , Martin, Taylor play off and would have paid an extra grand for it because it was the better guitar. Heck I never heard of Larrivee before playing that wonderful DV09 and of course I was delighted to save so much, but it almost made me wonder if it was in some way less of a guitar. All this bang for the buck stuff may be more of a detriment than a market niche.

If they do a hollow body I think they should target the best the market can offer and do it better an charge for it proudly..
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 11:26:26 PM »

Have not met either an on-line or in person that has any real familiarity with the RS4 that called it a Mid-road electric, it is only priced that way. I do agree with you to an extent that if Larrivee priced this git where it should be 4 to 6 large range than they might do better as it's every bit  worth it as fritferret alludes

Michael I urge you to go try one:
Wood - top grade
Hardware - argueably as good as it gets
Workmanship - superior to Custom Shops in Gibsons & Fenders - have your dealer open up the control panel and marvel at the added attention to detail of the "hidden factors"
The RS4 is way underpriced compared to it's competitors and that may very well be it's achilles heel!!!

Sooo Frit tell us about your RS 4's and what your looking to add?????? Glad to see another  wacko like me     I think you might have threatened to post some pics of em in a prior post. Please do as we luv pics!!!!!!!!!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 02:36:57 AM »

OK I got it a set neck hollow tele style body with just a wrap around bridge and 2 P90's,no contours.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 02:42:53 AM »

What is with the price thing with Larrivee?

Just this (don't remember where I heard it but I know it's accurate): Jean Larrivee's vision and mission is to build high quality guitars for working class musicians.

I think he's succeeding very well at that goal.

He's not interested in prestige or snob appeal - as a matter of fact, you could say that's the exact opposite of his philosophy. I've got to tell you (again...), I am baffled at how Larrivee can sell these RS-4s for this low price. But I also know if it was priced somewhere in the $4-6K stratosphere, I wouldn't have one...I couldn't justify it...until maybe I retire or inherit a wad of dough. I feel blessed and very thankful for Jean's philosophy, because it makes it possible for me to own some outstanding guitars.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 02:49:56 AM »

so in my opinion, the question isn't why won't larrivee go all out, but rather why are gibson, prs, and the others charging so much more for their inferior, or at best equal, quality intruments?

BINGO. You hit the nail with your head!

But the answer is: Because people will buy them for the name on the headstock; never mind the quality.

Don't get me wrong, Gibson, Fender and PRS all make some nice instruments...the only one I haven't owned is PRS, and I had the chance to play a dozen or so lefty PRS's back when PRS made lefties for a couple years (at Southpaw Gutiars in Houston), and I was impressed by the quality of the build and finish, but totally underwhelmed by the tone...just didn't do it for me. I left Southpaw cured of PRS gas for good. Doesn't mean I don't like some guys who play PRS (David Grissom comes to mind quickly; also Johnny Hiland). Same with Gibson and Fender.

But the price of admission has gotten ridiculous in the past few years.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 03:54:38 AM »

You want ridiculous I did a pick change and a set up on Suhr,the thing listed for over $4K.Fake quilted maple top with a basswood back,bolt on neck.I've played plywood guitars that were better instruments that cost $46.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 01:28:33 AM »

You want ridiculous I did a pick change and a set up on Suhr,the thing listed for over $4K.Fake quilted maple top with a basswood back,bolt on neck.I've played plywood guitars that were better instruments that cost $46.

Further proof that the price tag nor the name on the headstock makes a great electric guitar - a good wall ornament maybe BUT for a versatile high end players electric  - the RS4 is hard to beat

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: