Custom Shop Gibby J-185 Koa

Started by Zohn, March 09, 2010, 11:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone ever played one of these? Any thoughts?

[attachment deleted by admin]
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I had a Gibson J200 koa It was very pretty but I wasn't a fan of the the tone.It still retained that chuga lug Gibson tone but less bright.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Hey Bud - you ok? I have my eye on one of these - reckon it could be worth something some day?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Had a late '90s J-185 Maple (all maple) that, yes, as Rob says, had that sound that many don't like with alot of Gibsons. Wanna' play some Johnny Cash? Works great. And, by the way, Rob's just fine. Forgets his punctuation marks sometimes! :bgrin:
   The Koa is really nice. I thought ALL J-185s were all maple, which was why I didn't keep it. Custom Shop? This one looks unique enough to be worth more down the road. As with all guitars, just have to find the right person that wants it someday. Have to take good care of it if an investment piece. You either like the sound of Gibson acoustics or you don't. A matter of opinion. Have heard some older J-45s that were just incredible. Had a Songwriter Deluxe I just couldn't get into. Traded it & ordered an OM-05. Different sound, but one I preferred. To each his own!
   Looks like a keeper. If a country player saw that one, it would definitely catch his eye. A sweet guitar. Sound? Can you describe it?
     Jeff
   Sent a PM about a OOO-50.
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Zohn,

That's a great looking guitar.  My favorite acoustic has to be the J-185, but I would want one from the mid 50's of course.  I have played a few of them, all but one were way out of my price range and I passed on the one that I could have afforded.  It was a '54 for $6,000 and in great condition about 7 years ago.  The sunburst was beautiful, and it was lightly braced with scalloped braces.  I would have made out on that deal, but didn't know what I had in my hands - it sounded amazing.  It was a great travis picker, and had that tight thump.  The old ones sound nothing like the new ones.  I have heard that there are some great sounding new gibby acoustics out there, but I haven't found any myself.  There is so much inconsistency...if this one sounds right, you lucked out.  It really is a looker.   

If this one sounds good and you keep it in good condition, it will hold it's value...especially when Gibson goes belly up.  The way that company is currently run and given the fragility of the consumer discretionary business, it may not be out of the question!

Justin
OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

I owned a J-45 Custom koa, looked very pretty but the sound didn't blow me away. I prefered my old J-50, koa can be hit or miss so try before you buy.

Hey Justin! Haven't seen a custom from you for a while mate? Did you sell the Stehr? I couldn't help but notice your forthcoming John Walker in your signature though!!! - wow, exciting prospect hey?
e-mailed him a year or so ago and he said he was going to introduce J-185 - type SJ's as well. Believe it or not, we ended up trading photos of trout and Tigerfish we both caught on fly!!
I presume you know his affiliation with Gibson's Montana custom-shop - hmmm come to think of it - chances are he had a hand in this Koa-beauty, I should e-mail him and find out actually...
I get a custom OM myself in June, can't wait.  :+1:

Justin
Just had a look at the Ruby - that is the very guitar I was thinking of - good one!!  :+1:
I also fancy his Lolo creek, which is a version of the L-00.

Went to check it out today - shouldn't have played the D-41 before it... nor the 00028EC after.
Frankly it looks better than it sounds. bummer...   :rolleye: