03 series flat top cases

Started by kwakatak, March 04, 2010, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My kids are really testing my patience with regards to my guitars. I've caught my 31 pound 3 year old standing on my guitar cases (after pushing them over flat) and he's actually peeled away at the covering on my OM-03R's case, exposing the cardboard or whatever material that is beneath. Can it be repaired or is it time for a new case?
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

def not a new case. glue that fabric back down there or git you some duct tape "now in assorted decorator colors!"

LOL! That's what I was thinking/afraid of. Do they come in metallic blue or pink?
Neil K

2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: kwakatak on March 04, 2010, 02:27:08 PM
LOL! That's what I was thinking/afraid of. Do they come in metallic blue or pink?
Our fashion consultant recommends Federal Safety Orange for you.

What? Nobody's thought of getting a new kid?

:humour:

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: ffinke on March 04, 2010, 02:50:30 PM
What? Nobody's thought of getting a new kid?

:humour:

f

That was my first thought but I didn't want to come across as the old curmudgeon.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 04, 2010, 03:31:03 PM
That was my first thought but I didn't want to come across as the old curmudgeon.

Sure, let someone who's really OLD do it!

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

There is an amazing product for repairing all kinds of things. It was developed to seal windshields but is good for an unending list of repairs and I have used it on cases.

It is 3M WINDO-WELD.  It is a black polyurethane polymer and dries quick and is very stable and durable.
  You have to be very careful not to get it on anything you don't want it on though. "Scrubbs" will clean it off of some surfaces and your hands though.
              I buy it in the large 10.5 oz. caulk tubes, but they sell smaller quantities. You can fix speakers with this stuff.

I have some expensive steel toe work boots that the heals were worn down on and I repaired 3 pairs with this stuff. It waterproofed the shoes and saved me about $400 in new work boots. Not bad for a $18 tube of polymer.

Thanks, Danny. I'll have to look for that stuff.
Neil K

2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1989 Kramer Striker 610

This one gave me a chuckle.  Just last week, I found my 10-year-old daughter standing on the flat side of my mandolin case with the instrument inside!  Fortunately, no damage to case or mandolin in spite of this.  She's a budding musician herself, so it was a little surprising.  Maybe these kids will be like my local guitar technician who said he got into the field after breaking his instruments in every way imaginable.

Good luck with the duct tape!