Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LR Baggs I Beam review in my CS-05  (Read 4993 times)
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2010, 04:41:15 PM »

I removed the Baggs M1A I had installed in December in favor of the I Beam.  I have to say I am very pleased so far.  I opted for an active I Beam and really feel it gives an accurate and clear acoustic sound.  Just for reference I play through a Marshall AS50D acoustic amp.  Installation was fairly simple and straight forward.  The installation jig included with the I Beam made locating the pickup a snap.  I currently have (right) hand and wrist issues which made it a bit difficult but all in all a simple job.

I found I had to EQ out the treble and punch up the base from the M1A.  I was concerned about more string squeaking but really don't find that the case. A very clean full acoustic sound true to the CS-05 is produced from the I Beam.  It seems to EQ better than the M1A IMHO.  Once my hand problems ease I can play more finger style and give it a better assessment.

I was very happy with the clean sound of the M1A but I did not like the way it looked in the CS-05.  It sat towards the middle of the sound hole due to its smaller diameter.  I'll probably put it in my F360S Takamine or my Seagull SM12.

Steve ....aka the SMan
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »

If you've got to put a pickup in your guitar this is the one to use,even though I prefer the passive.Thanks for the review.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:24:04 PM »

If you've got to put a pickup in your guitar this is the one to use,even though I prefer the passive.Thanks for the review.

Curious as to why you prefer passive over the active I Beam.  I'm always open to other (and less expensive) pickups.

FWIW I was feeling energetic and stuck the M1A in my Takamine.  Surprisingly to me it sounds better in the Tak than it did in the Larrivee.   A win-win for me.   

Steve ....aka the SMan
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 01:24:52 AM »

I've used the iBeam (Active) for a few years and love it. It sounded so good in mine, others have bought it after listening to how natural it comes across.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 03:16:47 AM »

I hate batteries inside of the guitar.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 11:24:09 PM »

SMan -- Just to let you know, you can purchase an attenuated cable from LR Baggs and use the M1 with your iBeam if you want. You are still limited to just two sources, so you would substitute either the under saddle or under bridge pick ups with the M1, but if you wanted to experiment with it, it is possible. The cable you need to use a passive M1 with the iMix from the iBeam is part number: M1C3.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 01:26:05 AM »

SMan -- Just to let you know, you can purchase an attenuated cable from LR Baggs and use the M1 with your iBeam if you want. You are still limited to just two sources, so you would substitute either the under saddle or under bridge pick ups with the M1, but if you wanted to experiment with it, it is possible. The cable you need to use a passive M1 with the iMix from the iBeam is part number: M1C3.

Thanks Dale that's good to know.  I just couldn't get past the look of the M1A in my beautiful "new" Larrivee.   It is much better suited for a guitar with at least a 4" diameter sound hole.

Steve ....aka the SMan
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 05:47:58 AM »

Gday SMan,
Thanks for the report on the iBeam. I had one in my OM-03R for a little while, but ended up going back to a Fishman Matrix undersaddle. The iBeam sounded great to me in small rooms, but in a Pub it just didnt seem to cut through enough for me. Its strange, the iBeam definately sounded more natural to me when I was A/B ing them, but the undersaddle piezo sounds better (to me) live....

Anyway, glad you like it, L.R. Baggs makes top notch stuff. Ive got a Baggs Element in my Martin. 

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Gibson CS ES-339 incoming....

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 01:38:17 PM »

Gday SMan,
Thanks for the report on the iBeam. I had one in my OM-03R for a little while, but ended up going back to a Fishman Matrix undersaddle. The iBeam sounded great to me in small rooms, but in a Pub it just didnt seem to cut through enough for me. Its strange, the iBeam definately sounded more natural to me when I was A/B ing them, but the undersaddle piezo sounds better (to me) live....

Anyway, glad you like it, L.R. Baggs makes top notch stuff. Ive got a Baggs Element in my Martin. 

Cheers, Scott.

Hi Scott,
Pickups are like strings for me.  Always looking for a better one.  My Taylor K20 and K22 both have the Fishman Matrix Natural undersaddle pickup.  Both sound great.  I had one in my 550 12 string Taylor and after it started burning up batteries I switched to the Fishman Rare Earth Humbucking.  All have different voices but all good!

Steve ....aka the SMan
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 08:55:10 AM »

Its strange, the iBeam definately sounded more natural to me when I was A/B ing them, but the undersaddle piezo sounds better (to me) live....

Cheers, Scott.
Even without the overdrive pedal??  

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 03:14:09 PM »

I concur with unclrob that batteries in guitars are undesirable. They have a tendency to go bad at the worst moment, ie: you're just about to go live in front of an audience. I suppose if I religiously changed the battery every 6 months this wouldn't happen.. but I'm not religious enough I suppose.

And I don't like barn doors on my guitars..

So here's something I do like, a phantom powered mini-preamp built into the jack cable.

If I ever do another pickup in a guitar, it will be passive, and this is what I'm going to use, if I need a preamp...

http://www.till.com/articles/PreampCable/

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »

Randy interesting stuff.I might have to make one for giggles and grins.Thanks.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 11:15:22 PM »

I like the K & K with their Pure Preamp.When I play Folk Music there is often some guitarist, after the gig, asking me why my guitar sounds so good.The K & K suits my finger style. Different pickups work for different styles of playing.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: