Forum RS4?

Started by GoldTopsRock, February 10, 2010, 10:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: unclrob on February 12, 2010, 08:13:26 PM
gschaps I know its unfair but having spent most of my life in retail and at least 3/ of in music store's thats what I hear.I had people who would walk in and say "I can get that in almost new condition for half of what your asking".Being the jerk I am I'd say buy it off ebay.Then they'd come in and ask for a setup on there ebay buy and ask for a discount,again being the jerk I am I'd say oh ya right buy it on ebay.When I was working for a Larrivee dealer I raise a stink about dealers selling there new Larrivee's on ebay cheap and told my rep that if it didn't stop he could count on us not ordering anymore as we wouldn't be a dealer.Well I got my way and for about 2 years no dealer could sell on ebay.Within weeks of me leaving that store all of this new Larrivee stock was up for sale on ebay.Local sale's crashed and Larrivee's used value went in the dumbster and its still there.A store needs to make at the very least 30% mark up{35% is just enough to make a living,even though I know that a lot of people think that the stores are riping them off},if not theres no reason to keep the doors open.Once the doors closed so do the factories who won't kiss the box store's butt.No more new forum guitars,no more special runs,no reason to produce guitars at least in the US and Canada.
Now I just worked a deal on my jumbo at what I hope the other party agrees was a fair deal at a fair price.Unfair is when a Koa Larrivee  sells for $1200,or a J10 or J09 goes for onlt $950.Don't get me wrong the buyer gets a great deal but the value of the line isn't there any more and once again way should some store buy when they can't get a fair price new for it.

:wave

Off my shop box and back to the cave,head held high as I am happy to be thought of as a jerk and an a**hole and any other name that can be thought of.

Couldn't agree more with what Unclrob said...even if it did get us off topic. Any more ideas for this build?

I don't think it hurts to pull us back on track with this idea...after all, Larrivee has already built several "non-standard spec" RS-4's; the white one for Dave at Guitar Adoptions (and there's another white one listed there now as well), the hog-top one above, and a couple other different colors that are shown on Larrivee's own website; like a maroon or dark red opaque topped one.

So obviously Larrivee is having fun "coloring outside the lines" with these.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 14, 2010, 06:35:31 PM
Couldn't agree more with what Unclrob said...even if it did get us off topic. Any more ideas for this build?

I don't think it hurts to pull us back on track with this idea...after all, Larrivee has already built several "non-standard spec" RS-4's; the white one for Dave at Guitar Adoptions (and there's another white one listed there now as well), the hog-top one above, and a couple other different colors that are shown on Larrivee's own website; like a maroon or dark red opaque topped one.

So obviously Larrivee is having fun "coloring outside the lines" with these.

I agree. The limited color runs is a really cool and enticing prospect. I do like the white but I'm probably more in the white top w/unpainted back and neck. That would be very hard to resist. I was also thinking a candy apple red or fine metallic red top with maybe a matching headstock surface. But, don't change the guitar! It's just right in every aspect! RS4's RULE!  :nana_guitar :nanadance :wave

I would be in favor of some changes NOT to make it better as it is already top shelf BUT to make it different. Anybody know if Matt LARRIVEE is considering making Mini Humbuckers - wonder if these would just be a drop in for the P90 setup?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: GoldTopsRock on February 14, 2010, 07:21:22 PM
I agree. The limited color runs is a really cool and enticing prospect. I do like the white but I'm probably more in the white top w/unpainted back and neck. That would be very hard to resist. I was also thinking a candy apple red or fine metallic red top with maybe a matching headstock surface. But, don't change the guitar! It's just right in every aspect! RS4's RULE!  :nana_guitar :nanadance :wave

Here's a few from Larrivee's own "Additional Media" page that are not standard finishes - the first two almost look like Candy Red (or Magenta Metallic!), the third is a burst which seems to have amber in it, but it's not the straight, normal amber top.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wow!!!!!!!!!! I really like that amber it's a beauty
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I love the amber RS4s so much I bought one! Is that a darker amber or just shot in a different light?

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 16, 2010, 06:09:20 AM
I love the amber RS4s so much I bought one! Is that a darker amber or just shot in a different light?

No, duck; it definitely has a 'burst' on it, looks like amber with some burst around the edges - definitely not just solid stain all across the top.

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 16, 2010, 11:25:57 AM
No, duck; it definitely has a 'burst' on it, looks like amber with some burst around the edges - definitely not just solid stain all across the top.

Dang! Now I want that one!

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 16, 2010, 12:06:11 PM
Dang! Now I want that one!

Call or e-mail Matthew and ask him, "What the heck is that?!"

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 16, 2010, 12:14:17 PM
Call or e-mail Matthew and ask him, "What the heck is that?!"

I dunno. He'll try to sell me another one. He's like that.  :wink: