Set Up Question

Started by xeroid, March 01, 2010, 05:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I will be sending the guitar in for a PRO SET-UP but was wondering what might be wrong. 

This is a new L 09, and the neck relief seems right on the money, but I still get some Buzzing on the lower base strings in the middle frets.  And I find the action to high.  I do use a humidifier in the sound hole ..... but no way of telling if it is over humidified or what that may do? 

What little checks can I make to see what is out of wack.  How low can one go for the distance between the top of the twelth fret and bottom of the base string? 

I have an old parlour that is easier to play so was wondering if 12 frets off he body, shorter scale allows for lower action and 14 frets off the body, the L09 will never get the same low action making the guitar easier to play?

I'm curious also as to the run of numbers off the twelfth fret in use out there, especially with dreads and L's (duh, I own one of each). I have had my dread at a tight 4/64ths low E and right at 2/64ths at the high E for a couple years now, but I have had a serious illness I have been fighting for 8 months now and find I am more aggressive both strumming and picking which has produced some buzz that I really hadn't noticed until some recording I have attempted recently. That caused me to go back to last years recordings and listen closely and there is some (just a little in spots) on those too that I hadn't noted before. I think my meds have dulled my sensitivity a bit and maybe my attack, I get great peace and comfort out of playing so I ordered a new WAHI saddle from Bob Colosi with the triple compensation on it to set at 7 or 8/64ths @ the 12th but I am concerned that may be too high.

So what is your guitar set up at @ the twelfth fret? Is there a common range we could note if enough of us compare? Also, I guess which saddle do you have would matter too. Is it the newer triple compensated? The "B" compensated or just a rounded slope? This is a good question thread xeroid, I hope there are a good number of responses because I am real curious about this too.  :thumbsup
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

This saddle that came on the new L09 Larrivee

[attachment deleted by admin]

For checking humidity you need an RH meter and I'm sure that others can point you in the right direction.

Even though new the frets may need to be dress {releveled}.Action hieght is sometime's more determed by the players technic then by measurements,string gauge also.You'll want have the nut slot hieght checked.Sometimes a bit more relief then you think.

You better served by talking to the tech in person,also for me at least I want to see how someone plays.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: xeroid on March 01, 2010, 06:49:22 AM
This saddle that came on the new L09 Larrivee

Yep, the new Larrivees (at least 05's and up, I don't know about the 03 series) have the triple compensation, not sure when that came about but that's the one I ordered from Bob. Still curious with what the average 12th fret height after set up is, I know we are all different  but I am wondering if there is a coincidental number that would show up on most set up as the individuals are satisfied with the action.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom

Michael I wish I could help you there but I have never measured any of my setups,nor do I think the the "E's" should be different hieghts.The saddle should follow the radious of the fingerboard.My customers would agree as I've never had a complaint but I have had them say as I say,Why do they come that way.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

unclrob already mentioned it, but I'll say it differently.

12th fret string height can be meaningless and misleading if the nut slots are not set properly first.

For example,  it the nut slots are not deep enoungh and the 12 fret height is set perfectly, every string will be too close when you fret them.  The bass strings would be the most likely to buzz because they swing a wider arc when played.

Proper set-up order  = nut slot adjusted, relief adjusted, only then can saddle height/12 fret height be set correctly.

hope this helps.  ds
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

I have no doubt my set up is correct as I had no problem with it and really don't now except I am likely hitting it harder now. I had a complete check done just a couple months ago when I changed out the tuners on the 12er, dropped them both off just to have any potential problems checked, clean bill of health with the DV09 except a little intonation issue with the low E that I didn't want anything done with at the time due to I was considering changing saddles to the new triple comp over the "B" comp only. Humidity (52%) and frets, rod, etc are good and my nut was redone a couple years back but for a saddle that was a little higher. I guess I'll start with the old saddle height and go from there. I was just curious if in having a few measurements taken and posted if there seemed to be a common denominator even with different nut slots.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, my apologies, I am going to set the new saddle a bit higher, and if I have any issue I'll call Scooter (a tech I trust) and take it back in.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom

My apologies also for stealin.

Michael I wasn't doubting you in any way and its a good thing to bring your guitar's in for checkups.I wish everyone did.I'm sure that many have common string hieghts.Everything come's into play depending on the players technic and string gauges.Also every tech/luthier does approach the job differently some go by feel some go by measurements.Keep careing for your babies the way your are.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I notice if the neck relief is not adjusted right I will sometimes experience intonation problems.

To the OP, you might have some high or loose frets even on that brand new guitar. Talk to your tech about all the issues, it is my opinion that a properly set-up L-09 with lights will play as easily as a parlor with mediums. You could try tuning the whole guitar down a half step.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"