Hogtop Charlotte/bluesman67's Green Mountain build w/ pics

Started by bluesman67, February 27, 2010, 09:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nice piece of wood! That's gonna sound wonderful.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Thanks Jeff and Broken!  I put a lot of thought into the rosette and he created just what I wanted and I love it!

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Looks good. From what Jeremy tells us and others that's the shape you want in X braces for tone and strength.

After studying these pics, I wish I had the time and wherewithal to experiment on some bracing patterns. But alas, time is running out.
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on September 03, 2010, 11:04:22 PM
After studying these pics, I wish I had the time and wherewithal to experiment on some bracing patterns. But alas, time is running out.

It sounds like you may have done some guitar building.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Quote from: bluesman67 on September 04, 2010, 07:46:12 AM
It sounds like you may have done some guitar building.

No, never have. I have made some nuts and saddles and other minor fixes but never built one. I'd like to, but some really great guitars are available for just a little more than the price of materials, making it hard to justify the cost and time involved. The price of a used Larrivee is outrageous.
Pain is a good thing

Joseph, it 's really starting to come together.   I'ts gonna be very special when it's completed.   

Question...   I couldn't figure out why the bridge plate is at an angle as your pictures show and then it occurred to me that it's probably necessary to have it that way because of the multi-scale fanned fret arrangement ??   Is that right ?

Hello Lynn!

That's right, it's because the scale length ranges from 24 3/4" to 25 3/4".  You can see this more clearly on the 1st page of the thread where I have a pic of a cocobolo Green Mountain lefty with a multi-scale ranging from 25-25 3/4".
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

These are great pics, really showing the detail that goes into a fine instrument, and the perfect response to someone that says "How can you spend $X,000 on a guitar?"
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Maple for the bevel

Other binding clamped up in the mold!
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Great pictures bluesman67 !
Your new baby already looks great.
I'm having a guitsr built too, and can't wait for it to be ready...
Larrivée OOO40-MT (2018)
Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1997)
Taylor AD17E Blacktop

I love the smell of Spruce in the morning

Bluesman, that looks really great, and deep. What does it measure at the bottom?
Pain is a good thing

broKen,

It's about 5" deep, slightly less on the bevel side and slightly more on the side that sits on your knee when you play.  It's got a wedge so that when you sit and play, it leans into your body a bit.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE