Help please with advice on 'Fishman Pickup'

Started by fongie, February 25, 2010, 03:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi, has anyone used a "Fishman Pro-Neo-D01 Single Coil Passive Acoustic Pickup's"? Can anyone give me all they know please
cheers
fongie

Hey Fongie,

As you might have "picked up" (hehehehe....groan) this one isnt as popular as its cousin, the Rare Earth active. Supposedly the Neo is just the same as a Rare Earth but passive. That being the case you'll need to run an external pre amp, as you're probably already aware.
Any reason you're going for the Neo and not the Rare Earth? I can personally vouch for the Rare Earth as far as soundhole pickups go, there one of the best. Get on US eBay, theres plenty of shops that'll ship to Oz and it'll be less than half the price you can get one here.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Thank you Scottyboy, yes you are right, I will go 'Rare Earth Active'. How are you and the family anyway, mate? Lately I've been on e-bay trying to purchase myself a 'Hollow body electric', missed out on a nice 'Teisco' Jap hollow git, got the gas big time, lots your way. Anyway, nice hearin' from you
cheers
fongie

Hello Fongie. EMG make a great sound hole pickup. I use it in a gigging guitar when I play Jazz. Sorry know nothing about the Fishmans other than they are also very good,
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: carruth on March 01, 2010, 05:04:55 PM
Hello Fongie. EMG make a great sound hole pickup. I use it in a gigging guitar when I play Jazz. Sorry know nothing about the Fishmans other than they are also very good,
Thanks Carruth, I will look into it

I have a Rare Earth humbucking in a Taylor 12 string and really like it.  I also have a NeoD passive that I use for temporary installations.  The rare earth has a much better sound IMHO.  The Rare Earth also has a slimmer design and looks better installed.  Again just my opinion. 
Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: fongie on March 01, 2010, 04:53:21 PM
Thank you Scottyboy, yes you are right, I will go 'Rare Earth Active'. How are you and the family anyway, mate? Lately I've been on e-bay trying to purchase myself a 'Hollow body electric', missed out on a nice 'Teisco' Jap hollow git, got the gas big time, lots your way. Anyway, nice hearin' from you
cheers
fongie

Hey Fongie, yeah the family is well thank you. My little girl turned 2 the other day! Just trying to make the most of whats left of the summer, its been a bit of a flop really....in and around Melbourne anyway. Ive only been surfing once ! Probably not a bad thing, I put my wetsuit on and discovered Id put on a few kgs in some very non-flattering areas over winter .. :cop:

Back to the pickups, Ive seen the EMG ACS, it looks similar to a Sunrise, I cant comment on the sound though. Another excellent pickup is the L.R. Baggs M1A. Tuffy has one in his OM-03R and seems pretty happy with it. I just prefer the Rare Earth because it reasonably discreet as far as sound hole pickups go, and you can get it in and out for a battery change without loosening the strings.  :thumbsup

I might buy one for the Cort....

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Hi again Scotty and SMan, do you get any feedbacks on this Rear earth's when useing in a gig?
cheers
fongie

fongie,

I am assuming you mean feedback through a PA or amp............however I don't gig.  In my "Home" venue I have never had a feedback issue with the Rare Earth.  Same with the M1A I have.  I have had some feedback issues with the GHS mic I installed in a Guild.  Now the feedback on my playing is a whole other issue!  :laughin:

Regards,  SMan
Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: fongie on March 03, 2010, 05:21:00 PM
Hi again Scotty and SMan, do you get any feedbacks on this Rear earth's when useing in a gig?
cheers
fongie

None. Its the most feedback resistant pickup Ive ever used.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Thanks guys, truely appreciate
cheers
fongie

Thanks again guys for your help, missed out on a Fishman Rare Earth and two Fishman Rare earth blend, but I got a great price on a EMG-ACS, also bought myself a Fishman Pro EQ Aqoustic Pre-amp, hopefully I will have a nice set-up for the C-05.
cheers again  :donut :coffee
fongie

Quote from: fongie on March 26, 2010, 09:27:09 PM
Thanks again guys for your help, missed out on a Fishman Rare Earth and two Fishman Rare earth blend, but I got a great price on a EMG-ACS, also bought myself a Fishman Pro EQ Aqoustic Pre-amp, hopefully I will have a nice set-up for the C-05.
cheers again  :donut :coffee
fongie

:thumb  Looking forward to a review fongie.  I have a Older Fishman Pro EQ and its worked great on my guitars for years.
Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: SMan on March 26, 2010, 09:38:44 PM
:thumb  Looking forward to a review fongie.  I have a Older Fishman Pro EQ and its worked great on my guitars for years.
Hey SMan, how much of a boost does the Pro EQ give to the pickup? I'm not familiar with these EMG-ACS pickups, just wondered if they do need a extra boost. I know you mentioned your EQ has been good to you, I'm very curious. I don't receive mine till next week, so I'm a little on the edge  :bgrin:
cheers
fongie

Quote from: fongie on March 28, 2010, 06:01:30 PM
Hey SMan, how much of a boost does the Pro EQ give to the pickup? I'm not familiar with these EMG-ACS pickups, just wondered if they do need a extra boost. I know you mentioned your EQ has been good to you, I'm very curious. I don't receive mine till next week, so I'm a little on the edge  :bgrin:
cheers
fongie

How much of a boost is kind of hard to quantify but it does give a clear volume boost more noticeably on a pick up that is passive.  (Any amp will give you volume) Where you notice the big difference in sound is the ability to EQ the sound and punch up the levels.  By playing with the EQ the sound becomes a much more "full" and balanced sound.  (Positioning the phase switch can also make a big improvement) This is just my opinion based on the old Fishman Pro EQ not the new one.  When I had Fishman Natural Matrix pickups put in my three Taylors many years ago I didn't want the barn doors in them and the Pro EQ was a perfect solution to allow me to acheive the balance I was looking for.  (Now barn doors don't really bother me.)  My Pro EQ is probably about 15 years old and still serving me well.
Steve ....aka the SMan

Thank you SMan, you described it perfectly, I'm looking forward to rigging up the git, once the items arrive
cheers
fongie