Will cause debates
0 (0%)
I just play em
1 (6.3%)
leave us alone Danny
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 10, 2010, 02:08:38 PM

Hey I was going to say something about fat joke's but you beat me to it.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Dan, you have got the right idea, I think we should make it work. A few weeks ago I didn't know jacksh*t about 'Setups', 'buzzing problems', etc etc. Within two days Uncle Rob taught me how to identify a problem I never knew in all the years of playing guitars, everything from identifying the problem, how to fix the the problem and most importantly, knowledge. I'm stoked. I've since identified more problems on my other guitars as well without any help. We can make this project work, I think this forum should have a maintenance section for only repairers and luthiers like UnclRob, Jim, etc and no one else. And if others have more inputs on the subject, they can open another thread. I can understand how professional repairers like UnclRob and Jim sometimes get annoyed with others underminding their profession. Don't get me wrong, I know everyone is just trying to help. I know it is easy enough to PM UnclRob for help, but I also want to know other peoples guitar problems and how to fix it, so I can learn as well. Thats why a maintenance tread for our Luthiers will help our knowledge

Quote from: fongie on February 24, 2010, 04:39:04 PM
Dan, you have got the right idea, I think we should make it work. A few weeks ago I didn't know jacksh*t about 'Setups', 'buzzing problems', etc etc. Within two days Uncle Rob taught me in all the years of playing guitars, everything from identifying the problem, how to fix the the problem and most important knowledge. I'm stoked. I've since identified more problems on my other guitars as well without any help. We can make this project work
That's exactly what my thinking is fongie. And Jeremy's idea quoted below is maybe a better route to take, in some form if we really want a TIPS thread.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on February 24, 2010, 02:28:26 PM
It would be better as a subforum so people could search though titles. One long Tips thread would be a mess. If it were in a child board like the FAQ is but we could add,modify and delete posts it might work well.

Fantastic idea, allow a month for each subject for everyone to learn from and then delete  :thumb

OK I got a wild idea.Someone with lots of time on there hands and some sort of cumputer skills {this of coarse leave's me out} go thru the old forum post and save them for a sticky.
If this gets put together I would be glad to reply to diagnostic questins.If its other then that I more then likely would PM my responce.If its something harmless I would post a responce but it needs to be understood up front that this is being done blind as I won't have guitar in had and any responce would more or less help you to talk with your local tech.
I know there are lots of DIYer's here so somesort of disclaimer should be added.Also if someone is going to respond it would be helpful if you stated were you got your knowledge from if you not a professional.I'm not putting anyone down with this statement as there are some very knowledgable people here who don't make a living doing it.But if your knowledge came from some web site referancing that site so people can read it for themselve's.
Some sort of sublisting would be great ie; setups,how lower the action,truss rod adjustments,string changing,what to look for when buying a guitar and so forth.

I don't see any reason to delete the info having a central page would be very helpful to all.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I voted "this is redundant" because there's already a technical FAQ section.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: kwakatak on March 01, 2010, 02:06:45 PM
I voted "this is redundant" because there's already a technical FAQ section.
That's not the same kind of thing I'm referring to. But it appears we don't have much interest in this as a separate sticky topic.

Quote from: unclrob on February 24, 2010, 08:51:37 PM
OK I got a wild idea.Someone with lots of time on there hands and some sort of cumputer skills {this of coarse leave's me out} go thru the old forum post and save them for a sticky.
If this gets put together I would be glad to reply to diagnostic questins.If its other then that I more then likely would PM my responce.If its something harmless I would post a responce but it needs to be understood up front that this is being done blind as I won't have guitar in had and any responce would more or less help you to talk with your local tech.
I know there are lots of DIYer's here so somesort of disclaimer should be added.Also if someone is going to respond it would be helpful if you stated were you got your knowledge from if you not a professional.I'm not putting anyone down with this statement as there are some very knowledgable people here who don't make a living doing it.But if your knowledge came from some web site referancing that site so people can read it for themselve's.
Some sort of sublisting would be great ie; setups,how lower the action,truss rod adjustments,string changing,what to look for when buying a guitar and so forth.

I don't see any reason to delete the info having a central page would be very helpful to all.

I think UnclRob has the right direction. Stickies on certain general topics:

i.e. "Replacing tuners"
      " Adjusting Action"
      "fret work"
      " Working with Nitro-cellulose"
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden